Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 3:59:08 AM EDT
I found a web site http://www.jtdistributing.com/ which sells AR-15 parts and complete weapons which are manufactured by Fabrique Nationale.  They have very low prices on there page which makes me a bit skeptical as to the quality of the products.  Has anyone heard of this company and if so do they make quality fire arms?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:12:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Um, FN is one of the oldest, best, and largest firearms manufacturers in the world.  They have made everything from pistols to chain guns and currently produce our military weapons.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of the Browning Shotguns, sometimes known as "Belgium Brownings" and the Browning High Power pistol were made primarily by FN in Belgium.  Several other places, too.  BIG company with a good rep.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Ditto what was said by shotar & Norm, "whatcha been hiding under a rock JB?" If I'm not mistaken the MIMI SAW (squad automatic weapon) being carried by our troops right now in Afganland is made by FN.

Mike

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope never heard of them. What do they make? Those evil assault rifles?

Av.

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:16:12 AM EDT
[#5]
They also made the greatest Battle Rifle of all time!!

FN L1A1!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
FN holds the current contract to make the M16 series of rifles for the U.S. military forces. A contract so lucrative that they built a factory in South Carolina for that specific purpose. FN is old, famous and quality. John Browning sold many of his firearms designs to them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:29:33 AM EDT
[#7]
That contract also bars FN from selling AR-15s, M16, or parts to anyone but the government.

That means you can't buy the parts, and your local police department can't.

So if you are buying "FN" parts, they could be Fooling Nobody Inc, or they could be stolen or reject parts.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Whoever makes their part I'm real happy. It you want a kit and like there prices buy it. I have one and it looks great and shoots like a dream. I have a 20 inch pre-ban from them. I will buy again. My 02 cents
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#9]
They really became known when an American named John Moses Browning showed up at their door step with an auto loading shot gun (A-5), because Marcus Hartly, the president of Remington Arms, had died in his office while John Browning was waiting outside. This so unnerved Browning that he left for Europe. The rest, as they say, is history.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#10]
FN has had a very good reputation and is a well established company
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#11]
FN has a USA division
www.fnmfg.com/
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Check here for info on the most famous Western combat rifle (outside the USA), the FN FAL:

www.l1a1.com
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Is it true, FN has bailed out Colt?
 If this is so, does this mean Colt will be doing a turn around and start producing quality guns again and open their AR's back to the public?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I've never heard of em... Name sounds Belgian, though
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#15]
You guys have never heard of FN?? What rock and on what planet have you been hiding under?????????????????? M249 Squad Automatic. And M240 Bravo, Mike, Delta etc. Series.       DANCE! DANCE! MOFO!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmmm....I heard that name before. I think they make clothes for the Old Navy clothing stores, dont they??
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, heard of them.  Stands for "Friggin Nazis" of Belgium.

LOL
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#19]
The reference I saw indicated it was for FN carrier (rarely ID'ed part), charging handle (also rarely stamped), upper (the forging die used was made for FN, hence the mark but machining???), grips (again, FN doesn't make them...)and FN stock.  All but the stock I know are NOT marked.  Just barrels, sight bridge, hammer and a few others.  For the most part, this is an ad gimmick.  Avoid like the plague.

Not all FN "rejects" are junk.  I got a few servicable parts from a dealer, namely an A2 hammer with deformed auto sear hooks (unservicable for the most part but since AR's don't need them...)and a barrel that was too tight on headspace (barely chambered factory ammo). The barrel has loosened up considerably but its still stiff with factory ammo.  

DPMS is the likely vendor for many of the small parts.  They have some standing contracts for rifle parts.  Matter of fact I have in my pocket one of their firing pins but I dare not say its an FN.  Why?  Small collar, so its an AR part.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#20]
FN Manufacturing, Inc. of Columbia SC manufactures the Mk 46 Mod 0, the M240 and M249 families of machine guns, the P90, the Five seveN and Forty Nine pistols and is the current supplier of the M16A2/A3 rifles for the US Military.  That's it.  No FN-FALs of any variety, shotguns or any other weapons.

The company was incorporated in the United States for the purpose of obtaining the US Military contracts.  To get the contracts, they had to build the factory here.  They picked South Carolina to avoid labor union issues.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#21]
GOOD GOD MAN!

FN rules,hell one may even fill that void in my life after the sale of my ARs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey guys,
I saw this car today and it said Ford on it?  Anyone heard of this?  
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Noname: Yep FN manufactured bicycles & motorcylces at one time.  There was a lenghty article on FN in a past issue of American Rifleman.  By way, HK at in their early days also manufactured sewing machines.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I found a web site http://www.jtdistributing.com/ which sells AR-15 parts and complete weapons which are manufactured by Fabrique Nationale.  They have very low prices on there page which makes me a bit skeptical as to the quality of the products.  Has anyone heard of this company and if so do they make quality fire arms?

Is this a trick question?....uh...yeh, Ive heard of them. And yes they make good products.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That contract also bars FN from selling AR-15s, M16, or parts to anyone but the government.

That means you can't buy the parts, and your local police department can't.

So if you are buying "FN" parts, they could be Fooling Nobody Inc, or they could be stolen or reject parts.

Or military contract over-runs. You can get real FN M16 parts, though you do often find fakes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Nope, no contract overrun parts actually made by FNMI may be sold to anyone but the US Military.  The contract prohibits that and don't think that Colt would let them get away with it for a second since it could result in either damages or the contract being awarded to Colt.

Any actual FNMI-made M16 parts are either surplused scrap from the military, stolen property, defective factory rejects or rarely, good parts surplused by mistake or design.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Nope, no contract overrun parts actually made by FNMI may be sold to anyone but the US Military.  The contract prohibits that and don't think that Colt would let them get away with it for a second since it could result in either damages or the contract being awarded to Colt.

Any actual FNMI-made M16 parts are either surplused scrap from the military, stolen property, defective factory rejects or rarely, good parts surplused by mistake or design.

Does FN actually make the receivers? If not, could the contractor who does make them sell their own?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 4:57:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I appreciate all the insightful information. As you can tell, I am a neophyte when it comes to AR-15's, thus the reason I came to you all for advice and information. On that note, symmqux, I will over look your snide comments this time...

I will stay away from said seller and continue to look on auction sites for my upper. Later and thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#31]
FNMI makes their lower receivers but buys the upper receivers from contractors along with many of the small metal and most or all of the plastic parts.  

Small point:  If the part is made by a contractor for FNMI, it isn't an FNMI part until FNMI takes delivery and accepts the part.  At that point it can't be sold to anyone but the the US Military.  Overruns of parts by the contractor are just that...Overruns of contractor parts.  They aren't FNMI parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top