Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2010 1:30:53 PM EDT
These have been around for a couple of years but I never see them discussed here. There is a man named Jeff who produces carbon-graphite-kevlar M14 stocks with or without the selector cutouts. He also makes them in standard and heavy contours. I had one of the originals and the forearm is stiff as can be. The front sling swivel holes have the nutplates embedded into the stock. I can not flex the forearm at all which is a good thing.

I plan on using this stock as a general purpose stock with a bipod mounted at the front sling swivel. This should not flex under fire like a GI fiberglass stock will. The original stocks were smooth with a carc-P paint, IIRC. This one has had some texture added and I think it still uses the carc-P paint. My LRB and 1994 SAI receiver drop in nicely and have tight lockup. I'll post a range report when I have the opportunity. Here are some pics though...

Here it is next to a Big Red Birch and a GI fiberglass that I'm in the process of stripping the finish off of.

I hope you all find this useful. The weight is very comparable to the GI fiberglass but I don't have an accrurate scale to compare it with. They are well known on another forum but I'n not affiliated with them anymore. I asked Jeff if it was okay to give out his information here and he said I could.

He can be reached at [email protected] .
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 4:54:58 AM EDT
[#1]
He should try fiberglass and carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Does he make garand stocks too?
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does he make garand stocks too?

You can ask him. He just needs to make a mold of it from an existing stock. He is in the aerospace industry and is using the technology he learned about to make M14 stocks. I know Different has at least one and he probably has more details.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#4]
So does one need to bed these or are they drop in?

Also what sort of draw pressure do you get from the stock?

Cost?
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 7:12:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Might he have a link?
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#6]
These are drop-in stocks and aren't meant to be bedded. I do have a bedded LRB and the original aerospace stock I had matched and in some cases exceeded the accuracy of my bedded birch stock. He upgraded my stock to this current stock.

Keep in mind though that with the differences in receiver geometry from receiver maker to receiver maker there may possibly be fit issues and different receivers may have different draw pressures. I do know that some SAI receivers had  mysterious hump under the right side of the receivers. Those rifles that left SAI like that had material relieved from the stock to allow the receiver to sit flush with the stock. I can see where those receivers may have issues. He lives in close proximity to LRB so I would guess that he used a barrelled LRB receiver to pattern his stocks with. Regardless of what some may say, LRB's are very close to GI spec, so if the receivers are close to GI spec, they should fit in these stocks.

This particular stock has harder trigger lockup than any other configuration I have used in the past.

By the way, the whole purpose of him using this composite make-up was to have the strength of heavy fiberglass without the weight which is why he is staying away from fiberglass. I'll see if I can get him to post on this site. Other than that, just e-mail him with questions.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
His email said the Garand would be too much work and that there would be little market. There are a few unorthodox people on the CMP forum who would spring for one, but unfortunately, he's likely right.

Now I'm trying to twist his arm to do a one off at exorbitant cost, absorbed by me and my savings fund...
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cost?

I forgot to anser this before. He can install certain options such as rails and he can make them in standard contour or heavy match contour. The thing with thes stocks is that you want to get what you need first because special care needs to be taken when drilling and cutting into the material. Apparently, standard drill bits will not work with this material so its best if he knows that you want accessories when he builds them so he can embed the nutplates into the stock from the beginning. I think the basic stock starts at the $400 range but it's best to contact him for pricing.

The nutplate for the buttstock is bedded into all stocks from the beginning.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
So, can you send him your barreled receiver and have one custom made for your gun?  It would then be "bedded" to your rifle.  Would it shoot loose?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top