Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2002 8:16:02 PM EDT
I'm aquiring one of these in trade.

Any owners tips & tricks to know about?
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:I'm aquiring one of these in trade.

Any owners tips & tricks to know about?

No matter who tells you it's OK, I wouldn't fire commercial .308 Winchester in it.  Stick to good quality surplus 7.62x51.  And invest in a couple of headspace gauges (~$60).  A trip to the emergency room will set you back a little more than that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The FR8 is a great little rifle. I've heard all the comments about the ammo, I mostly use surplus because its cheap, but have fired commercial and reloads with no problem. If you like leather slings, a K98 Mauser sling makes a nice sling for this rifle, needs a little modification and a HK snap hook, or your FR8 hook, and a longer stud at the back. As for sight adjustment, I never found a sight tool and made one from one of those cheap little flat bladed screwdrivers by filing a "fork" in the flat that goes over the post. Works fine and was free. I didn't like the straight bolt at first, and my buddy had his bent, but now I'm glad I didn't and he regrets it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:FR-8s are built on M98-type large-ring Mauser actions, and have no problem with .308.  Hundreds of thousands of M98 receivers have been built into .30-06, .270, .308, and other modern US calibers without incident.  I would probably avoid Hornady Light Magnums and such, but standard hunting loads and such are just fine.

The great majority of FR-8's will probably never have a problem, but there are a few folks on rec.guns whose opinion I respect who question the heat treatment of the receiver.  Better to be safe than sorry... if one insists on loading .308 to the max, better to do it in a rifle that was built for it.  

I would also check headspace before handing over the cash.  The M98 action is great, but who knows what the previous owner subjected it to?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would also check headspace before handing over the cash.  The M98 action is great, but who knows what the previous owner subjected it to?

The previous owner is a close friend and shooting buddy.

I'm planning to shoot Cavim and Port 7.62Nato in it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:03:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top