Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2002 3:28:28 AM EDT
At the local gunshop I spied a slightly used "FN Police Special" shotgun.  It appeared to be a rebranded Winchester 1300.  Black composite stocks, long mag, 20" barrel, twin action bars, rotating bolt, that unique shaped Winchester stock, and said (US Repeating Arms) right on the barrel. It is equipped with an IC choke installed (I assume it's a Winchoke).

What's the story on these?  Is FN just selling them, or is Winchester no longer selling them, or are they both selling them, or what?  Price was $275, it was VERY smooth, and very tight, and very tempting.  I'm saving my pennies for other things right now, but I'll have to say it was a pretty nice shotgun.  Is this not worth bothering with, or is it a great deal?

Ross

Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's the shotgun exactly as pictured.  I noticed the shorter stock on it as well. It actually fit me quite well, but I tend to prefer shorter stocks.  The action was VERY smooth, as I said, but I haven't really even handled a standard 1300 to compare to the FN version.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Ross, there is a stopry on those in the Jan 2003 Gun World. I just got mine in the mail two days ago so it should be on the shelves soon if not already. The Gun World write said his impression of the shotgun was "quite favorable". They seemed to like it. FN does now own Winchester(US Repeating Arms) and the FN shotgun is based on the 1300 but the article sayd there are some improvements like a shorter stock than others. Take a look at the article for more details but from reading the article it seems like a decent shotgun for the money.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in August I was in a police supply shop and asked one of the guys what type of price he could do on a Mossberg 590.  He tells me, I tell him I want to think about it.  He asks me if I've seen the FN Police Shotgun.  Hands me one, let me tell you guys this thing is sweet.  I' ve hauled a Remington 870 in the trunk of my partol car for close to 9 years and it's nice but this FN is awesome.  

Right off the bat you can feel a differnce in the weight.  It is really light compared to an 870. Which is not good if you're shooting hundreds of rounds, but if you're carrying it in a ready postion clearing a building it's a dream.  Gray magnesum phosphate finish, looks really good.  The feild stripping is easy too.  You can remove the entire trigger assembly and bolt, just by tapping out a push pin.  I know you can remove the bolt on Mossbergs and Remingtons but believe me the FN is easy.  It is drilled and tapped if you want to add a red dot or reflex optic.  NIB is $320.  Told the guy I would be back on Friday to get it.  Went back on Friday two other guys were buying FNs while I waited in line.  

I bought it just to play with.  Have shot 20 rounds of 00 buck, low recoil loads, 10 rounds of slugs, and about 50 rounds of Remington #6.  Im not knocking Mossbergs or Remingtons.  My 870 has never failed me, I have the upmost faith in it.  But guys if you want try a tactical type shotgun, this is one you might want to take a good look at.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought one of these back when they first came out.  Fulton Armory was selling them for $299 at that time.

I can say, these shotguns are extremely nice, it is a very sweet shooter.

Above and beyond the great finish and already being drilled and tapped, as mentioned above.  They also come with (2) different choke tubes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top