Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2007 6:43:30 AM EDT
Recently I sold one of my rifles and I am interested in a getting a FN 5-7. I have only ever picked one up and never shot one. Is the gun worth its cost  in shooting ability and simplicity or should I look into getting something else. Thanks for you opinions.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends… how do you like that answer. I’m a FiveSeveN owner, and I like mine, but I cannot recommend it to everyone.

For a fun gun that is flat shooting, low recoil and a likely NFA item IMHO, its great. If you want a firearm to use a lot, and be able to buy ammo at almost any location, then go with something else. As for shooting ability – well, in terms of blastic performance, then I would have to say no. However, in terms of accuracy/low recoil and flat shooting ability – then yes its worth it.

Let me put it this way – if you can accurately fire a 9 mm or .45, then skip it. If however, you have trouble firing these calibers, then its worth a look. My FiveSeven is the handgun my sister uses; because, she is small framed, and cannot really apply the concept of drop and lead very well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I got mine because I already had the PS90. And, now that I have a son - I wanted a nightstand gun that wouldn't shoot a round that would penetrate multiple walls. So, I got the 5-7 as my night stand gun with 197 ammo. The 5-7 ammo fragments pretty well on hard targets and does not over penetrate.

Admittedly, I haven't tested how many walls of sheet rock it might penetrate before it stops. But, it will be less than a 9mm or 45 round.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I got mine because Dem gungrabbers want it banned.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a question only the person asking it can answer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I got mine because Dem gungrabbers want it banned.

Thats enough reason for the OP to buy one right there.  

ETA:  I bought a Five Seven pistol before the current model came on the market as an individual officer purchase.  I am not sure what the differences are, other than mine seems to have a slightly lighter trigger and a more open trigger guard.  I would definitly recommend them, especially if it is mostly an issue of "which toy to get next".

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That is a question only the person asking it can answer.

Agreed!  Find one to shoot first, either by rental or through someone you know or meet.  I'm sure if you found someone that had the pistol and offered to give them a box of ammo ($20), they'd let you run a box through yourself, before spending the $800.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top