Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2001 11:27:14 AM EDT
I have a bug to get a FAL in the past few days. Century Arms L1A1's are out of the Question....been there done that.

The 2 I've narrowed down to are the DSA STG-58a and the M444 "Imbel" FAL based on quality and budget. Both are full metric FAL's.

DSA's STG-58 Pro's ($800-$900)
Reciever (forged) built off of Steyer blueprints.
Austrian STG58 mil parts and us Parts count for legality.
Nice STG-58 Muzzle brake copy.

M444
Cheap (under $700)
Imbel last current "FN" licenced manufacturer still operating
All Imbel Mil parts minus US parts count
FN "compensator" copy

Anybody have experience with either one? I am leaning towards the M444 for budget reasons but I am open to suggestions....
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll just say this, next week I'm putting up seven guns for sale.
When the first one sells I'm buying the STG-58A (with the DS Arms receiver) carbine with the DS Arms heavy-duty scope mount.

There have been several posts in the last week on this subject and you might consider going back and checking the responses in some of those posts.

You might also consider the barrel on the STG-58A when decideing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Lean toward the DSA

OSA
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah....I can't seem to take my eyes on the STG-58 on DSA's website. I see $995 as the Retail price on this rifle. Any clue what the street price is? Otherwise, I assume this is not a rifle that will turn up on the Gun show circuit...special order through FFL only?
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah....I can't seem to take my eyes on the STG-58 on DSA's website. I see $995 as the Retail price on this rifle. Any clue what the street price is? Otherwise, I assume this is not a rifle that will turn up on the Gun show circuit...special order through FFL only?

I "think" dealer cost on the rifle is about $800 on the rifle and $850 on the carbine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
DSA, last I heard the Dealer price was $795.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I paid $850 for my DSA FAL earlier this year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Go with the DSA,and you won't be disappointed! I bought a DSA built STG parts gun directly from DSA in 1999, at the advice from FAL Files board.The gun looks new.I think it it cost $800 plus shipping & gunsmith transfer.It's operation has been flawless with any ammo or mag.In fact i went and built an STG parts gun in order to save wear on this one.Fals are like ARs,you can't have too many!With a brake and buffer installed they are very fun shooters also.  
                              HTH,Mark
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:55:00 AM EDT
[#8]
sorry, couldn't resist,

happy new year to to all of you.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
My 2 cents is go with the DSA.  I've got one of their Medium Contour Sporters and I love it.  I've been thinking about adding one of the STG58 Carbines to my collection just to round things out.  Quality is outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with the DSA STG58, remember You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Go with the DSA STG58. Mine is very accurate and it does look brand new, I mean brand spanking new! They are great guns and a bargain.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been looking over DSA's website and comparing the Stg58 and SA58.  I'm interested in a carbine version of one of these.  I think I can afford either one, but if I get the cheaper Stg58 then I can afford more mags, ammo, better accessories, etc.  What extra am I getting with the SA58?  Also what are the pros and cons of the plastic vs. metal handguards?  Is a bipod a useful thing to have attached for a carbine?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought an M444 today for $745 at a local gun shop.  Have not shot it yet, but it looks very nice.  My advice would be buy the M444 now and have cash for ammo and mags, then get the DSA later.  I plan on getting the DSA carbine eventually. You can't have just one!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think I can afford either one, but if I get the cheaper Stg58 then I can afford more mags, ammo, better accessories, etc.  What extra am I getting with the SA58?

All new US parts as opposed to a new US receiver, some new parts, and unused, surplus Austrian parts (most notably the Steyr barrel)

Also what are the pros and cons of the plastic vs. metal handguards?

Metal will heat up faster.  You won't be going full-auto, so it's not a big concern.

Is a bipod a useful thing to have attached for a carbine?

Not really.  Again, you're not going to be going full-auto.  It's a nice feature, and it will help stablize with prone or sitting shots (if you don't have a rest available), but its weight can make the overall package seem a little less valuable.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an STG58 'kit' rifle with the plastic
handguards from Tapco.  They look fine to me.
I have heard from folks on the FAL Files that
even in semi auto, the metal guards can heat up.
But like JIH says, it's a bigger problem with full auto.  I do like the folding bipod, however.  It folds under the guards quite nicely, and are nice for prone shooting,or off
the bench.  I even think the rifle looks funny
without them.  The FAL is just about the most
fun gun I have.  I am now thinking about building a rifle from an Australian kit. This
addiction could break a weak person. John
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#16]
The Stg58 is verrrrry tempting.  I can live with a few surplus Austrian parts.  I have Nomex flight gloves that are pretty comfy for shooting, and they should protect me from hot handguards.  And I could always buy the $50 plastic ones later and put them on myself.  Is the standard bipod detachable?

M444 sounds nice, too.  I'll have to check that out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]
After pondering the thoughts of the M444, DSA STG-58a and building my own I went with the M444 Imbel. It was close....the DSA is a killer rifle on perhaps the best FAL model ever made. The closing factor was the quality  of M444's that Dan's sporting goods gets in, the solid reviews these weapons get from those who owned them and a price a just a bit higher than the Century clunkers (hey...it is after Christmas and I am broke!). Looks like a good rack grade rifle at a reasonable price.....not I'll have to save up for the STG58a!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top