Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol skypup thanks for your contribution to the thread.  A hog you shot.  Wow.
View Quote
Thanks so much for your contribution to this thread.

Haha, I did not shoot him, my friend did with his brand new FLIR Breach and PTS-223 the first night out with his new kit!

Breach worked great for him spotting the hog out 200 yards and staking him down in the thick brush with his new PTS-223, now he is getting the Breach helmet mount and the PTS-223 battery pack, super Happy Camper!
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just shoot an email to Denise . Lopez @ flir . com (delete the spaces)  She'll need your serial and you have to make a couple of promises (attest that you're a United States Citizen, won't export the software, won't share it with others requesting, yada, yada, yada....)

I had mine within a couple hours going that route, nary a single phone call.

Heck, I've never called FLIR once, everything I've needed has been quick and painless via email...

(ETA: The updates  SW2360, 2.0.148574 that yall are referencing are what I listed as my versions a page ago.  That was from back in mid-to-late July.  There may well be another, later update available now.  I haven't asked as everything works like a charm on my Breach, I have no need to update...)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They better not try that crap on me, I know I need the update, my picture preview does not work.

I have SW2305, 2.0.14233

There is a newer SW2360, 2.0.148574 (this is what I want) I am going to call tomorrow.  If I can get it I can forward to whoever needs.
Just shoot an email to Denise . Lopez @ flir . com (delete the spaces)  She'll need your serial and you have to make a couple of promises (attest that you're a United States Citizen, won't export the software, won't share it with others requesting, yada, yada, yada....)

I had mine within a couple hours going that route, nary a single phone call.

Heck, I've never called FLIR once, everything I've needed has been quick and painless via email...

(ETA: The updates  SW2360, 2.0.148574 that yall are referencing are what I listed as my versions a page ago.  That was from back in mid-to-late July.  There may well be another, later update available now.  I haven't asked as everything works like a charm on my Breach, I have no need to update...)
I finally got SW2360, 2.0.14574.  I want to confirm what you said, it fixed every firmware glitch I had noticed.  Picture and video preview works now, battery icon works, compass works, outdoor alert works without having to mess with settings.  I am happy now with this update, unit works as advertised!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I finally got SW2360, 2.0.14574.  I want to confirm what you said, it fixed every firmware glitch I had noticed.  Picture and video preview works now, battery icon works, compass works, outdoor alert works without having to mess with settings.  I am happy now with this update, unit works as advertised!!!
View Quote
Wish it had fixed mine.  I think one of the download drivers is messed up on my breach.  Going back again Monday
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thx for the update, does the standby feature work with SW2360, 2.0.14574?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#5]
delete
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm happy so far with my G22 + Wilcox AN/PVS14 bridge + RQE dovetail adapter. It makes scanning with the Breach super easy

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20181013_224304-705704.jpg
View Quote
Nice. Is your setup the closest, most reliable and "economical" combo for the civilian market? To have something as close to a AN/PSQ-20B ENVG, where we can still see and use our IR weapon mounted aimers, for pesudo threats as far as possible, 100-200m would be nice. If resolution is still good in these ranges during rain it would be impressive.

If the FLIR PTQ136 Breach is the go to thermal given the $2000+ price tag. Then it comes down to what's the "best" monocular to pair it up with, for a stormy rainy wet setting and a green or white phos hue?

I hope both these paired bridge units have an auto shut off when flipped up, just like the FLIR Binos. Wish you could bridge the Breach with their Binos with a one eye use option too.

Too bad FLIR has not offered a fused unit yet for the civilian market that can see IR Aimers. Vic please make it happen.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Getting a Breach with a 19mm objective lens for longer distance spotting.
View Quote
I'd rather have one with a 640 core. How much longer this that is available?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thx for the update, does the standby feature work with SW2360, 2.0.14574?
View Quote
The standby option just turns my breach off.  I don't notice it firing up any quicker after, not sure what it is for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nice. Is your setup the closest, most reliable and "economical" combo for the civilian market? To have something as close to a AN/PSQ-20B ENVG, where we can still see and use our IR weapon mounted aimers, for pesudo threats as far as possible, 100-200m would be nice.

Too bad FLIR has not offered a fused unit yet for the civilian market that can see IR Aimers. Vic please make it happen.
View Quote
A PVS-14 and a thermal monocular is nothing like a PSQ-20. The closet thing to get you there is a PVS-14 with a COTI attached, but even that is a far cry from a PSQ-20.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd rather have one with a 640 core. How much longer this that is available?
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish the 640 Breach would be released soon. I love the size and functionality of my 320 Breach, however
all my other thermal mono’s are 640 so tend to grab them instead of the breach when heading out.

Then even as small as the Breach is my Coti is even smaller and lighter plus  can quick attach/detach onto my NV if I need a shorter range 320 class thermal for detection. A 640 Breach would be a lot clearer/more range than the Coti so could justify having both.

I think may sale my Breach and Coti I have too much gear and they both hardly ever get used. I always grab my IR parol mono and my PVS-18 or DTNVG’s when I had out viewer wise now-a-days.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A PVS-14 and a thermal monocular is nothing like a PSQ-20. The closet thing to get you there is a PVS-14 with a COTI attached, but even that is a far cry from a PSQ-20.
View Quote
@terry1 @CTM1  Thanks for the reply.

For private civilian legal use. Was hoping the Breach+NVG bridge setup would work, to not fork out the $ for the "newer" E-COTI

As much as I want to go with what you Bridge guys have here, I don't think I can close and shift eyes back and forth, with the Bridge setup for a SHTF-QCB applications, up to 150-200m or more, if the units can do that.

The E-COTI looks to be the closest I would like, unless something better comes along. so I can use my mounted aimers

But I need Both Day and Night use.  As a beginner, I don't think the E-COTI will work Day.

I'm on the fence wondering which path I should take and almost jumped on the Breach Bridge setup given the price.

For minimal need, one headmount setup, would work with every CQB-ish firearm I have with a mounted aimer until later.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Personally I don’t like the bridge NV setup with Breach my eyes just can’t adjust to the different images and fuse them together. Hence that’s why I bought the Coti so I could have shorter ranger thermal detection 50-200 yards and NV while walking around/hiking.

The Coti is not a turn on/off simple stupid device to use. Once you learn the settings and tricks you can get a much better image overall, however honestly I’m still learning the Coti myself  I only have maybe 5-10 hours on my unit. The Coti is really a specialized system it’s mainly a “detection” overlay onto your NV It doesnt  have awesome thermal clarity or detect out to 500 is yards. Heck my Breach is a better stand alone thermal. The Coti just helps you detect things that would go unnoticed with NV alone at normal PVS 1X lens ranges say 25-150 yards it works really well.

Twice with my limited Coti use it’s been a game change one night it detected a guy hiding in a dark open sided tractor shed he was invisible with NV alone do to shadows. The second time I spotted  a individual hiding in thick brush wearing full camo one officer was standing only two feet away never knew the guy was there. I scanned with NV saw nothing turned on Coti and I was like oh sh@@ someone’s right there!

To me at full retail the COTI is over priced. At that 2500-3500 mark it would be a great deal if you need such a system. It’s not however a replacement for a thermal monocular for most task in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#14]
@terry1

Looks like the E-COTI is it. Unless FLIR is coming out with a cheaper version anytime soon. Why other mfg's are not also making units like this I don't know.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#15]
The E-Coti with 640 core would sure be interesting. Mines only the 320 model it does a great job detection maybe the new 640 with up the thermal overlay clarity to give a lot more ID ability.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#16]
@terry1

Starting from scratch, now it's a question of what's the "best" Gen3+++ NVG should I get to best pair it to the E-COTI.

monocular rather than bino would save funds.

Then the color of the hue.

I'd rather not waste board space with a new thread for a simple question
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve ran the COTi on PVS-14/PVS-18/DTNVG all worked great to me . Mine are all WP haven’t tried a green tube though but White Phos looked great so see no reason not to go that route.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#18]
@terry1

Now that I'm going all chips in, for 24hr use Standalone SENVG 320 x 240 or E-COTI 640 x 480 ?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Never seen or used a SENVG So maybe some else can chime in on it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#21]
FLIR Breach came today, and I’m learning the ropes.  Have a couple questions:

First (and I believe I know the answer to this, but want to check): Will the Breach save/retain user enhancement settings (such as contrast, sharpness, gain, etc.)?  When you power on/off, or remove batteries?  Seems like a ‘no’ right now.

Secondly... what is the ‘mesh effect’ I see at times in the display?  Seems to be mitigated by propert brightness/contrast/sharpness/gain adjustments.  Just curious.  Almost SNR-like?  Again, new to thermal, and interested in learning.

Lastly, if I’m looking in the right location, my Firmware version is QBMC1802231451.  That number doesn’t look ANYTHING like the build/FW numbers listed in this thread.  What gives?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:17:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FLIR Breach came today, and I’m learning the ropes.  Have a couple questions:

First (and I believe I know the answer to this, but want to check): Will the Breach save/retain user enhancement settings (such as contrast, sharpness, gain, etc.)?  When you power on/off, or remove batteries?  Seems like a ‘no’ right now.

Secondly... what is the ‘mesh effect’ I see at times in the display?  Seems to be mitigated by propert brightness/contrast/sharpness/gain adjustments.  Just curious.  Almost SNR-like?  Again, new to thermal, and interested in learning.

Lastly, if I’m looking in the right location, my Firmware version is QBMC1802231451.  That number doesn’t look ANYTHING like the build/FW numbers listed in this thread.  What gives?
View Quote
When you have that FW number highlighted in the settings, click it and it will give you the SW and Bosun SW Version numbers.  When updated, all settings are retained.

When you do get the updates, you'll have two files, one will be the FW version (the number I'm running is QBMC1805041436) and the other will be the SW update.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Got it, thanks!

Brand new unit arrived Saturday.  Worked greay for a couple days, now experiencing red screen shut downs every few minutes  Checked the software and found:

SW version 2305
Bosun SW Version 2.0.14233

So it looked like i needed an update.  Got the OTS and Bosun files from FLIR.  OTS didn’t auto-initialize, and works with the OTS app on my phone, so figuring maybe it was the latest version.

Updated too Bosun version 2.0.14857... and now ALL my color palettes are variations of purple/green.  Even the menus. Ugh!

FLIR suggests a reinstall, but if the unit doesn’t regognize tue install as a newer version, it doesn’t proceed.

Looks like it’s going on a little vacation... YAY, ME!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got it, thanks!

Brand new unit arrived Saturday.  Worked greay for a couple days, now experiencing red screen shut downs every few minutes  Checked the software and found:

SW version 2305
Bosun SW Version 2.0.14233

So it looked like i needed an update.  Got the OTS and Bosun files from FLIR.  OTS didn’t auto-initialize, and works with the OTS app on my phone, so figuring maybe it was the latest version.

Updated too Bosun version 2.0.14857... and now ALL my color palettes are variations of purple/green.  Even the menus. Ugh!

FLIR suggests a reinstall, but if the unit doesn’t regognize tue install as a newer version, it doesn’t proceed.

Looks like it’s going on a little vacation... YAY, ME!
View Quote
Exactly the issue that I had.  Only I bought mine in March, so I at least had some time to play with it.  Mines gone back twice now.  I was told there's an approximate 3 week lead time for repairs right now.  Sorry to hear about your luck with  the brand new, expensive toy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Exactly the issue that I had.  
View Quote
Change in colors, too?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Change in colors, too?
View Quote
I never had the Red screen shut down.  I would question battery strength for that, but yes, the green and purple pallettes is a result of only one of the updates loading and not the other.  My reasoning for this is that When I first updated mine back in June, it did the exact same thing in between the two updates.  The second update fixed it.  It did not fix another dust and moisture issue that I had so I sent it in.  I was told that they replaced the screen, etc. and when I received it back, it was no longer updated.  So I tried to reload the updates and ended up in the same spot as you.  Mine will have been in two weeks tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Want to add a 536 or 736 to the stable but all of this sounds like a shit sandwhich.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#28]
My PTS233 is working great since I did the update. If I had the bucks, I would get the 536 in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I never had the Red screen shut down.  I would question battery strength for that
View Quote
In hindsight, you might be exactly right. The battery included with the unit read 80-90% on thw display... but tested very low on the voltmeter.  The last couple hours before the return I threw in a brand new Duracell, and aside from the color... was working fine.  Kindof miffed at myself for not thinking of that sooner, or thinking about the possibility the install went wrong due to the FLIR supplied battery.

Well, if it takes a few weeks and comes, I’ll be satisfied.  While there are a handful here experiencing issues, my serial number is in the 121xx range... so you gotta figure some hiccups here and there.

I also got to test out the bridge, and swapping back and forth to the PVS14. Seems to work OK, and I can always pop it off and clip it too a lanyard should I choose. So I at least know that part will work upon return.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
That looks nice. Now when is the 640 going to be available?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been having really good performance from the Breach when using the external TNVC battery. I don't insert the CR123 battery at all and have been out hunting three times with about 7 hours each trip before I recharge the external battery. I'd estimate the battery is down to about 25-30% power left when I recharge.

My Breach seems to run smoother on this battery vs CR123. I haven't had any odd behavior since I started using it either
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That looks nice. Now when is the 640 going to be available?
View Quote
Page 19 has the info you want...
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Page 19 has the info you want...
View Quote
If you're referring to the post at the top of page 19, yes I've seen that.

I've already bought two of their 320 core products and I'm ready to buy a 640. Make them available now damit!!  Why skip 2019?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've been having really good performance from the Breach when using the external TNVC battery... My Breach seems to run smoother on this battery vs CR123. I haven't had any odd behavior since I started using it either
View Quote
Yeah, I have the Anker 5000 battery stuck to my counterweight on the back of my helmet setup.  Same mfgr as the battery in the TNVC unit, a little less time/life, but same voltage output.  Kind of a cylindrical design about the same size as a small flashlight.  In hindsight, I don’t recall any red-screens on that, either.  But I didn’t play w/it very long.  Just enought to confirm I didn’t need the 123 in place to run external power.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I finally sold my thermal to buy a breach but after checking in on this thread it sounds like a giant mess.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Was waiting for the 640 to drop, but I finally gave in and threw $ at TNVC... which means the 640 will be announced later this week.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:46:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I finally sold my thermal to buy a breach but after checking in on this thread it sounds like a giant mess.
View Quote
Meh. I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

Don’t trust the cheapie battery included by FLIR, and if it works out of tue box, don’t try and update it yourself, and you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine was quirky running on 123s but has been good since I switched to the external battery. I use it every weekend with no issues. I'm happy with mine FWIW
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Wish it had fixed mine.  I think one of the download drivers is messed up on my breach.  Going back again Monday
View Quote
Well, After six weeks, I just got My Breach back from FLIR (For the second time) with the exact same issue as when I sent it in.  It only has one of the updates and not the other causing major issues.  Have blasted calls and emails to anyone Involved in the process, the dealer, etc.  Pushing for a replacement unit at this point.  Ridiculous and highly frustrating.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Mine was quirky running on 123s but has been good since I switched to the external battery. I use it every weekend with no issues. I'm happy with mine FWIW
View Quote
And no issues with mine using 123s. I've never used the external battery pack.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Contact your dealer?  We have direct contacts with them so PM me if I can get get you some assistance.
View Quote
This right here. Teddy has been a pleasure to troubleshoot and resolve my issues.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I may be out of the loop, but is there a 640 version of the PTS233 in the works?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I may be out of the loop, but is there a 640 version of the PTS233 in the works?
View Quote
Million dollar question.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Well after some issues getting my 233 firmware from flir.  It was done a week after getting the scope.  I use it with a lanyard around my neck.  I also have a Reap-Ir and Pulsar XQ50

This 233 gets so much use.  I have at least 400hrs on it in the last 7 months I guess.  Thje 12UM Boson core is sharper than the Pulsar XQ50, yes its still 340.  Dont hold a candle to the REAP_IR.  But it has taken a hell of a beating climbing barbed wire fences and getting caught up..dropped on the pavement, its covered in mud and just keeps on going.  FLIR!!!!!!!your customer service absolutely sucks but your damn 233 is a great little thermal and fits my purpose just fine.

Now just give a shit about your customer base where these scopes are concerned.  Yes, I realize FLIR we are just pee ons in your business model unfortunately. Your outdoor mode pallette is great.  Again deer at 100m thru the cell held up to the 233.  Im too lazy now to download from the 233 to the hard drive

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Took out my pts536 last night.   I wanted a higher mag scope for neck and head shots at 50 to 100 yards on hogs and for coyotes at that range.  This scope seems ideal for that purpose.  You would not want to engage sounders at 30-50 yards with this scope in my opinion.   Frankly, this configuration seems like a strange offering from Flir.  It’s kind of a niche scope, and would imagine the 736 is even more so.  For me it works, and I really like it.  For a 320 the image is outstanding.  I like the Armasight form, function, and operating system.  Just my opinions of course.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:21:33 AM EDT
[#49]
How far away, if at all, can you see non tracer M193 and M855 bullet flight and impact with the Flir Breach, any video of this and best setting?
Thanks in advance for reply if any one knows
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well, After six weeks, I just got My Breach back from FLIR (For the second time) with the exact same issue as when I sent it in.  It only has one of the updates and not the other causing major issues.  Have blasted calls and emails to anyone Involved in the process, the dealer, etc.  Pushing for a replacement unit at this point.  Ridiculous and highly frustrating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an update, I pushed and pushed on FLIR and was able to get them to swap out my Breach for a new unit.  Received yesterday.  Contains all updates and I'm happy again.  I have noticed several differences between my original unit and the new unit, specifically that the buttons are updated/different, as well as the battery cap.  Looks like there were some small design/manufacturing tweaks made somewhere along the way.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top