Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/8/2002 8:13:06 AM EDT
How do you get one?

How much is it?

Is it good for all states?

Anything else I need to know?

I am just interested in getting one.

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:16:04 AM EDT
If you call the BATF they will send you a application 'kit' with everything you need to know.. Im sure some of the other ppl here can give you more details on the "ins and outs" of getting one since it is a lot harder to get a FFL now than it was years ago.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:22:33 AM EDT
A Curio FFL is a lot easier to get, $30 for three years.

Nowdays they are making most new FFL's get a storefront and normal hours of operation.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:31:03 AM EDT
SS109 is right. If you don't have a store front and a set schedule of business hours, give it up now. As for how much its a couple of hundred dollars and yes it is good in every state since its a Federal license.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:40:22 AM EDT
Ignore the bad information above. The C+R license allows you to collect only not deal in C+R type firearms only.

No store front is required, you must only comply with local zoning laws. If you can have an Amway shop or sell Tupperware from you home you can deal in guns.

You must list regular hours of operation on your license, if they happen to be 10pm to 1 AM on Sunday only so be it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:12:39 AM EDT
This site should offer you some help;

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:42:41 PM EDT
David, I don't think this is so true. If want this license to run a business outta the house, or something of that nature, then wouldn't zoning restrictions prohibit you from doing that?


Of note are the following:

(A1) Does the law regulate who can be in the business?

Yes. The Gun Control Act (GCA), administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) of the Department of the Treasury, contains Federal licensing standards for various firearms businesses (manufacturers, importers, and dealers). An example of these standards is that the applicant must have a business premises. [18 U. S. C. 923( d), 27 CFR 178.47]

(A2) Who can get a license?

ATF will approve the application if the applicant:
Is 21 years or more of age;
Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition;

Has not willfully violated the GCA or its regulations;
Has not willfully failed to disclose material information or willfully made false statements concerning material facts in connection with his application;
Has premises for conducting business or collecting; and,
The applicant certifies that--

(1) the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by state or local law in the place where the licensed premises is located;
(2) within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of state and local law applicable to the conduct of the business;
(3) the business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of state and local law applicable to the business have been met;
(4) the applicant has sent or delivered a form to the chief law enforcement officer where the premises is located notifying the officer that the applicant intends to apply for a license; and
(5) secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees (" secure gun storage or safety device" is defined in 18 U. S. C. 921( a)( 34)).

Again, a regular storefront (business premises)is necessary, which is different from a residential premises (source: SimCity).

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:53:00 PM EDT

Zoning laws vary considerably from state to state and even within a state. It all depends on your location. There are many locations where you can operate from your home without violating any zoning laws.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:02:04 PM EDT
Like the guy above said. Must comply with local and state laws. If there are no local or state laws prohibiting home based business you are in.

I r a gun dler.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:13:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2002 6:14:33 PM EDT by Mortech]
Here in Wa all I'm required to do is foward a copy of my FFL application to the local sheriff's office or if in city limits to the local police department, and have a secure storage 'container' , store ammo and weapons seperately . As for hours a call for appointment or by appointment only sign is good for the store hours requirement . I love this state !!

P.S. The form is downloadble from BATF's website and is in PDF format .
Top Top