Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2015 10:07:52 PM EDT
I've been shooting my STG-58 at 500 yards for the last twenty years. It is my go-to rifle for rapid-fire,semi-auto matches. I win most of the time.
I tried the rifle at 800 yards and it was no challenge at all. I used my match loads I shot in the Navy and the rifle put the rounds on target with no misses. Not a brag,these rifles are just that good.

The Austrian rifles are so well made,I now want to drag out my L1A1 with a SUIT Sight and see how well it shoots.

I'm hoping there is enough front screw adjustment to allow the 124 inch drop from 500 to 800 yards bullet drop.
Have any of you shot the SUIT farther than 500 yards? What needs to be done?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice shooting.  What size and type of target were you using?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
3x3 foot target with a 12" center. I was able to keep 8 of ten shots in the center
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
What loads are you shooting?, I was thinking of putting my MK4 Leupold on and run some FGMM 168s at 100yd to see what kind of groups I would get, I was getting some real nice groups with Irons at 25yds when I first zeroed them.

I was shooting two rounds and then moving the sights, the strays are my brother shooting at 50.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:46:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I dumped my Belgian FALs when the StG58 I have turns out to be more accurate. I don't know what exactly it is that it does but I'll say this. It just gets incredibly great groups and I am not complaining.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been shooting my STG-58

The Austrian rifles are so well made

View Quote

Does the number on the lower match the number on the barrel and bolt/carrier?

Looks like four digits?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes,the numbers match. I have the receiver stub somewhere in my shop.
My load is the M-118 pulled bullet over 42 grains of my lot of WC-846. ( 44 is normal but my powder is too fast burning) 1986 Match brass and CCI Mil Spec LR primer and a 60 pound bullet crimp ( dupes Lake City spec)
I found my M1A loves this load. This load matches the sights on my rifles.
Still looking for SUIT Sight adjustment info.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My load is the M-118 pulled bullet over 42 grains of my lot of WC-846. ( 44 is normal but my powder is too fast burning) 1986 Match brass and CCI Mil Spec LR primer and a 60 pound bullet crimp ( dupes Lake City spec)
View Quote

A four digit serial StG-58 is Belgian (FN) manufactured for Austria.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I dumped my Belgian FALs when the StG58 I have turns out to be more accurate. I don't know what exactly it is that it does but I'll say this. It just gets incredibly great groups and I am not complaining.
View Quote

What's the serial # on the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How about a 836##  all matching, looked it up under 20K is FN after that to 250K is Austria

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 12:40:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How about a 836##  all matching

View Quote

Yeah, manufactured by Steyr.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out ole Rapibrob's corresponding thread over on the Files. It appears he's full of horse manurer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Check out ole Rapibrob's corresponding thread over on the Files. It appears he's full of horse manurer.
View Quote

This One? ;-)

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#13]
did I tell you I was a helo pilot in nam?

chief warrant Officer 7,  ROFL 87thAHA at Din Ang 1976-81

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Not a brag, but .308 can do way more than over 9,000 yards if you fire from altitude.

Myself, I'm just happy with my current posting

But seriously that falfiles thread is great. Nice to see that "top secret prototype" scopes are on sale at Midway from time to time.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow! What a train wreck (FAL files thread)

You would think if you were going to lie about training SEALs you would at least look up what BUDS meant

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#16]
x 87 !
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This One? ;-)

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This One? ;-)

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Woah

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Woah  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This One? ;-)

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Woah  
Woah is right.  That thread links to two other threads this dipshit is spanking his own monkey in.

ETA: I'm waiting for Rapidrimjob to profess to training the Space Shuttle Door Gunners next.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Well he appears to be well qualified on the comb over and Brylcream.  Or maybe he's a Dapper Dan man.

I bet this guy spends lots of time telling stories at the gun shop counter for all to admire.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I've found my L1a1 to be bullet weight sensitive. 165gr zero has 150 gr projectiles hitting 10 inches high at 100m.

That will teach me to play games with what works in my FAL.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Patrick Sweeney has a L1A1 and he found for most of the SLRs he shoots that the Hornady TAP 150 grain is where they are happy at, he was getting great MOAs with it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#22]
All fun with the moron aside, I am interested to get the FAL down to a 1.5-2.0 MOA rifle.  Consistently.  With 10 shot groups, not just 3 or 5.  Out to at least 300 yards, preferably 500 with mid-body shots consistently.

I have a LOT of experimentation planned with the gas system (where I believe most of our accuracy gets screwed up).  

Right now we're finishing up the ACR stock conversion, after that...  things will get "interesting".  ;)
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

All fun with the moron aside, I am interested to get the FAL down to a 1.5-2.0 MOA rifle.  Consistently.  With 10 shot groups, not just 3 or 5.  Out to at least 300 yards, preferably 500 with mid-body shots consistently.

View Quote

Do yourself a favor, then, and check the 2.0 MOA FAL thread over on the Files. A lot of guys doing some surprisingly scientific tests to try and ascertain exactly what contributes to an FAL's accuracy (or lack thereof).
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have a LOT of experimentation planned with the gas system (where I believe most of our accuracy gets screwed up).  

Right now we're finishing up the ACR stock conversion, after that...  things will get "interesting".  ;)
View Quote

Are you sure you are considering accuracy in MOA. It sounds to me like you have group size in mind.

You do realize the MOA is MOA regardless of the range involved. If your rifle is grouping 2 MOA at 300 it will do the same at 500. MOA is a measure of angular dispersion, not group diameter.

2 MOA at 100 subtends 2". 2 MOA at 500 subtends 10" (These measurements are approximated at 1". 1 MOA actually subtends 1.047" at 100 yards.)

Here is a link to a page that explains MOA. Link
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Do yourself a favor, then, and check the 2.0 MOA FAL thread over on the Files. A lot of guys doing some surprisingly scientific tests to try and ascertain exactly what contributes to an FAL's accuracy (or lack thereof).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS X 1000 Last year I did exactly the same thing you are looking at doing now. I spent months researching this possibility and it all boiled down to the FAL/L1A1 is a battle rifle not a sniper rifle.

Things I learned:

1) 2700 FPS for 150+/- grain ammo provides the best accuracy.
2) Adjusting the tension of the bolt carrier to the bolt improves the vertical stringing issue.
3) Tight headspacing improves accuracy.
4) Ambient temperature will play havoc on accuracy
5) Point of impact will shift dramatically as the rifle warms up from being fired.

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#26]
" I am interested to get the FAL down to a 1.5-2.0 MOA rifle. Consistently. With 10 shot groups, not just 3 or 5. Out to at least 300 yards, preferably 500 with mid-body shots consistently. "

I don't believe this is possible with an FAL. I know some folks have spent a lot of money trying. But the open rear receiver, rear locking bolt and skinny barrel will pretty much ensure this kind of accuracy will only happen on the internet.

A lot of countries have used the fine rifle as their service weapon. I can't think of any that were able to turn it into a designated marksman's rifle, never mind a sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#27]
We shot them out to 900m ETR (using hold over you don't mess with a zeroed rifle in the army)  range when I was a young lad in the Army not a huge amount of success as it wasn't really designed for such a feat but suddenly the pointer being upside down makes a lot of sense
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Back in 2009 Old Marine sniper "Gunny" took my STG-58 out to 1,000 yards and dumped 10 in the X and the other 10 in the head on a B-27 target. I will give it that he is/was a Master Sniper instructor in the Marines for 20 years. He used my cheap wolf ammo to do this also.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:02:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Back in 2009 Old Marine sniper "Gunny" took my STG-58 out to 1,000 yards and dumped 10 in the X and the other 10 in the head on a B-27 target. I will give it that he is/was a Master Sniper instructor in the Marines for 20 years. He used my cheap wolf ammo to do this also.
View Quote

Fucking hilarious! Was he blind folded at the time?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#31]
was it Rob?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

...And then, being out of bullets he returned the Indians arrows on the strings of my guitar.
Take the Star Wars action figure out of your ass, come up out of Mom's basement and go look for some kind of jobby-job.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rob, is that you? Where have you been?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

I think he's being sarcastic .  Not sure though my calibration just isn't that good
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#35]
That is some funny shit right there!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#36]
awww rabidrob hasn't signed in since April.   I needed some more FAL jokes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#37]
I think the fraud was outed over at the files and got thrown a beating.
Doubt he will be back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think the fraud was outed over at the files and got thrown a beating.
Doubt he will be back.
View Quote

We know that. We're just having some fun with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top