Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2002 2:22:07 PM EDT
I'm interested in adding a 7.62mm semiauto to my collection, and I keep running across the FAL. Is there a way to get one worth having, for long range reachout and touch SHTF usage, for less than $600?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Century over a year ago and shot it a couple of times and stuck it in the safe.  It was on "okay" rifle.  Some of the Century's were evidently put together by chimps but, mine was okay and functioned well.  It is now with Derek at AZEX getting the Century redo and having the god awful stock replaced and having a muzzle brake installed.  If I would have bought one from him or DSA originally, I would have spent about the same amount.

I also have a DSA on order (if my ffl will ever get off of his butt).

However, the Imbell M444 looks interesting but have not read or heard any first hand reports on them.  I'm hoping to see one this weekend at the Houston show.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a IAI 444 it is really nice. I can shoot allmost all 9 and 10 ring with the iron sights at 100 yards prone. The metal finish is very nice. The stocks are used but not in bad shape a few scuffs.

The new IAI 444s have the new muzzle break and the recoil problem has been solved. So the recoil is almost nill on my gun.

The trigger pull is heavy but clean. I will have a trigger job done in 2 months

You need to add 2 more us parts in order to use non us made mags. I will be putting on a new forend and gas piston.

As for longrange plans. I have a dsa mount(on backorder) and leupold vari X2 that I will mount on the rifle. It will be mounted with leupold quick detach high scope rings. This way I can use Irons and the scope.

I will also send out my furnature to Tac ord (they also did my ar15)so they can spray the stocks with fiberglass impregnated paint. I may also send it out to AZEX Arms to finsh anyother needed improvments.

This way I can have a highly custom gun but I am able to spread the cost out slowly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Dear Sir,

It will be highly unlikely that you will be able to get a good and reliable FAL for the price you have indicated.  I would urge you to save up for this weapon mentioned by the previous poster: www.dsarms.com/SA58A_STG58_Austrian_FAL.htm

The M444 is a good weapon but will require the use of magazines which contain US parts due to an insufficent amount of US parts in the rifle.  

DSA is a quality company and I'm certain you'll be pleased with their product.  Remember in the world of FAL's you truely do get what you pay for. http://www.falfiles.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi<---is a great source of info on all things FAL.

Good luck,
Gary
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a DSA STG58 , you won't be dissappointed.

I have a 99'  SA58 rifle & recently acquired a STG58 carbine.  I put the STG58 carbine's bipod on the rifle & really like that set up!

I wish the STG's had been out back in 99' & I could have saved a little money.  The quality  on each is the same, excellent!

I have since sold my M1A & AR10.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dear Sir,

It will be highly unlikely that you will be able to get a good and reliable FAL for the price you have indicated.  I would urge you to save up for this weapon mentioned by the previous poster: www.dsarms.com/SA58A_STG58_Austrian_FAL.htm

The M444 is a good weapon but will require the use of magazines which contain US parts due to an insufficent amount of US parts in the rifle.  

DSA is a quality company and I'm certain you'll be pleased with their product.  Remember in the world of FAL's you truely do get what you pay for. http://www.falfiles.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi<---is a great source of info on all things FAL.
-----------------------------------------------

Gary, I've suggested the STG58A only about fifty times it seems in the past few months.

Dealer cost is about $800 plus shipping.  The '58 is an excellent FAL and an excellent buy.  DS Arms is also an excellent company.

There just seems to something about the $600 FAL that has immense attraction. Believe me I understand scarce dollars.  But in my case I'd rather wait and accumulate the extra $200 or so and get a FAL that's really worthwhile.

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
It can be done for less.
Imbel receiver from FAC=$204
DSA reparkerized G1 kit=$200
US parts=$80
Assembly=$60
All milspec forged receiver FAL for around $550
DSA makes a HUGE profit on these,these are all retail prices.
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#8]

cpermd

You must remember, DSA has designed their own receivers, which are top notch.  There is a substantial period of cost recovery for investing into what it takes to make a new receiver.  I doubt you are fully aware of their profit margins during this period.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe I am aware.CNC is a wonderful thing.
I also know which receiver has been used in battle situations by several armies.
The Imbel is "adequate" for a battle rifle.
cpermd
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#10]
cpermd, I am not sure what you mean about DSA and battlefield situations. The FALs used around the world in combat were built in Belgium, or other arsenals.  I think the Imbel is ok.  I have an STG rifle built around one, and it looks good to me. I think the DSA might be better, but for the typical American shooter, the Imbel should work very well.  I might avoid the Hesse receiver.  I would like to build an Australian inch gun.  You can get by for $600, but just barely.  John
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]

If you want the best IMHO go with either DSA or one of the top builders, AxeArms or ARS. FAL's under $ 600 are an iffy proposition at best and there are a lot of amateur "smiths" out there who will cobble together a pile of junk or an accident waiting to happen. It's always been my experience you get what you pay for and with a 308 battle rifle I wouldn't want to cut corners.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to agree with LastDefender and Wolfgar....you get what you pay for.  Besides, since you'll love owning an FN, you'll kick yourself for being so cheap and then rebuilding the damn thing with the right parts or with the right gunsmith!  You'll end up spending twice as much in the end.  As previously stated, please choose one of the following:  DSA, Arizona Response Systems or AxeArms.  There's simply too much garbage being pedaled out at the gun shows to take a chance on a cheaply assembled FN!
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It can be done for less.
Imbel receiver from FAC=$204
DSA reparkerized G1 kit=$200
US parts=$80
Assembly=$60
All milspec forged receiver FAL for around $550
cpermd

cpermd, what sources/web sites/dealers are all of these prices from?  This sounds interesting for a miser like myself

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Look at my recipe.
I would never buy it at a gunshow.
I want it built with my parts and I can do it.
Have done several.As easy as an AR.
Seems like FAL guys build and AR guys buy theirs.
I just got four AR castings in today to start on.
The two Galils I have coming in are going to be a bit different.I feel some trepidation there because they are unknowns to me.
cpermd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top