Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 6:30:07 AM EDT
I just received my first FAL. It is built on an Imbel receiver with Imbel parts. It came from Ohio Rapid Fire. It is very nice and I am very happy with it.

I have lots of carbines with the new "Short/Entry stlyle stocks on them and have gotten used to shorter lengths of pull. I know i am limited because of the recoil system, and I don't want to invest in the para parts. Can I get a shorter/thinner recoil pad or butt plate for the Penguin stock that it came with. Will this fit it?

http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=STK240139&back=yes&dept=118&last=114

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
no. i dont think this will really fit.  these buttplates are generally made for wood stocks. the plastic stock you have has a relief that would show if you screwed this buttplate on. as far as i know there are no "short" stocks being made.  the imbel stock LOP is about 10".  which is pretty short to begin with,  how short do you want to go?    
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of my other stocks (beside my shorty style ones) have a length of pull at about 13 to 13 1/2"....this FAL w/Penguin brand stock and rubber recoil pad is about 14 1/2 to 15".....If I remove the thick (1 1/2" or so) rubber pad, the pull is very comfortable. I was hoping I could find a thin one.

I mean, it will work....

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#3]
You could try reducing the thickness with a beltsander and a coarse belt. I did that on a shotgun and it worked like a champ.  If you can work from the aft end of the pad you won't have to worry about recontouring the pad.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#4]
About the shortest stock you can find is from an Izzy H-Bar.  There is no butt pad and the wood ends very close to the recoil spring nut.  They are easy to find and will fit on any metric lower.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Belgian/German G1 wooden stock on my StG-58A and it reduces the length of pull by almost a full inch, if not a little more.

www.dsarms.com has them for $75.00.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I should've said this right away, but I do want to stick with a synthetic stock. Thanks for all your help though. I may try getting a thin metal buttplate (different then the one at the link) and maybe do a little custom fitting to my Penguin stock. If I end up leaving it, it won't be too bad anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you might be able to pick up a smaller butt pad at tapco for a couple dollars. They also (I think) have quite the selection of butt stocks,, I remember looking at a cold weather synthetic stock, it was shorter than the others and had two sling swivels (an extra on the side).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top