Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2004 8:14:25 PM EDT
I am new to FALs and I'm tearing mine down for cleaning and inspection. I pulled apart the bolt assembly and noticed a black plug in the middle of the extractor spring. I thought it was dirt so I sprayed it with cleaner but noticed it was rubber-like and wasn't going to come out unless I picked it out.

Is this normal for an extractor spring? If so, what is the function of the plug? If not, why is mine this way?

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
there was one in mine (Imbel)
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine has it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Its normal.  As your mother told you... "stop picking at it."
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, my mama said if I didn't stop it I'd go blind.

What is the function of the plug? This is the first spring I've ever seen built this way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Actually, my mama said if I didn't stop it I'd go blind.

What is the function of the plug? This is the first spring I've ever seen built this way.

It's to give a little more rigidity and strength to the spring so it will bounce off of 3 walls instead of two.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The plug aids in keeping the spring straight until the plunger is insert far enough into the hole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top