Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 5:33:10 PM EDT
I have a DSA STG58 that was assambled in "post ban" configuration. I am assuming it's too much trouble to remove the soldered-on belgian combo device from the end of the barrel. Sooo, I was considering just getting a different barrel, maybe a higher quality one to increase accuracy. Any suggestions?

I have built many AR15's, never an FAL .... info about barrel replacement is welcome also, procedures, tools needed, etc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#1]

I have a DSA STG58 that was assambled in "post ban" configuration. I am assuming it's too much trouble to remove the soldered-on belgian combo device from the end of the barrel. Sooo, I was considering just getting a different barrel, maybe a higher quality one to increase accuracy. Any suggestions?

Might not be as much trouble as you think. When I put muzzle brakes on my FALs I used silver solder in a paste form. All you had to do was smear the past on the threads and screw the brake on and heat it until the brake glowed.

Is it possible your brake was installed the same way?

If so all you have to do is heat the brake up and unscrew it then clean the threads with a wire wheel.

As for which barrel is best, I'm not sure, I just used the ones that came with my kits.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The best barrel for an F A L is the Austrain StG58 barrels as offered by DSA. The comlete front end is 99.95 plus shipping. It is the best value in the F A L world right now.

Replacing a barrel on an F A L is not a big deal if you have the tools. I have replaced barrels on several  F A Ls for a variety of reasons and more oftern than not I had to reset the head space.  Setting the headspace is not a big deal IF you have the tools and understand how it is done.

Belgium also made StG 58 barrels, but they are not as good as the Austrian barrels.

Both of my Austrain StG58 barreled rifles will shoot MOA with Australian milsurp ammo, minimum headspace setting, and the original flash hider installed. It would be reasonable to expect 2 MOA from an StG58 barrel if it is properly installed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:41:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The best barrel for an F A L is the Austrain StG58 barrels as offered by DSA. The comlete front end is 99.95 plus shipping. It is the best value in the F A L world right now.

Replacing a barrel on an F A L is not a big deal if you have the tools. I have replaced barrels on several  F A Ls for a variety of reasons and more oftern than not I had to reset the head space.  Setting the headspace is not a big deal IF you have the tools and understand how it is done.

Belgium also made StG 58 barrels, but they are not as good as the Austrian barrels.

Both of my Austrain StG58 barreled rifles will shoot MOA with Australian milsurp ammo, minimum headspace setting, and the original flash hider installed. It would be reasonable to expect 2 MOA from an StG58 barrel if it is properly installed.

I think thats what I'll do ... they want $120 just to remove the combo device from my existing barrel. I'd be better off getting a new barrel and selling my old one. ...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll need to remove the barrel using a receiver wrench and a barrel vice (don't clamp the receiver in a vice and try to unscrew the barrel with a pipe wrench, that's a no no).  After replacing the barrel, you may also have to change the locking shoulder to adjust your headspace.  At the minimum, you'll need a set of headspace gages to check headspace after replacing the barrel.  At worst, you'll also need a new locking shoulder of the appropriate size and pin gages to figure out which locking shoulder is the appropriate size.

If you can find a smith in your area that can remove the existing device, you're probably better off that way.  A wrench and barrel vice will probably set you back $100 at least.  The pin gages will be another $40 or so for a full set.  Then you have to buy a barrel.  DSA sells brand new ones with the gas block installed for $175.  If you then want to add evil features, such as a Stoll flash hider, you'll have to buy the evil feature and have it installed.

If you just want to change the barrel, check over at the FAL Files for a detailed walkthrough on installing and headspacing a barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top