Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/27/2003 3:41:07 PM EDT
Okay guys. Just built my first FAL this weekend, and before I even get it finished, I'm ready to try another one. This time, looking for a theme, if you will. If I wanted to build a replica of an actual FAL in current (or previous) use, what are the different types I could go with. So far, I've heard of/thought about the following:

A lightweight. I know it's not a real "theme", but would be a great build. I'm thinking of cutting down to a 16" barrel, no muzzlethingy, and generic, lightweight parts (DSA aluminum stuff, Penguin butt, etc...)

An Izzy of some sort. I enjoy learning about the history of other countries, and what more news-ful country could there be right now? I've seen, er, drooled over Cliffy's Izzy HBAR, but doubt I'd be able to find a good kit, nor afford it. I'm assuming they make lightweights. Do they all use wood furniture?

I could probably get another Imbel kit and do the Rhodie thing. Cliffy would have lots of links for that one. Not sure I want to go the same kit route, though. I need to broaden my horizons.

An STG. I've heard these kits are great. A little pricey, but there's a group by going on, and I think I could swing that.

Are there others? Where are some good places to get kits? I'm still filling my link base, so the more the merrier.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:17:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Squib:
Okay guys. Just built my first FAL this weekend, and before I even get it finished, I'm ready to try another one. This time, looking for a theme, if you will. If I wanted to build a replica of an actual FAL in current (or previous) use, what are the different types I could go with. So far, I've heard of/thought about the following:

A lightweight. I know it's not a real "theme", but would be a great build. I'm thinking of cutting down to a 16" barrel, no muzzlethingy, and generic, lightweight parts (DSA aluminum stuff, Penguin butt, etc...)

An Izzy of some sort. I enjoy learning about the history of other countries, and what more news-ful country could there be right now? I've seen, er, drooled over Cliffy's Izzy HBAR, but doubt I'd be able to find a good kit, nor afford it. I'm assuming they make lightweights. Do they all use wood furniture?

I could probably get another Imbel kit and do the Rhodie thing. Cliffy would have lots of links for that one. Not sure I want to go the same kit route, though. I need to broaden my horizons.

An STG. I've heard these kits are great. A little pricey, but there's a group by going on, and I think I could swing that.

Are there others? Where are some good places to get kits? I'm still filling my link base, so the more the merrier.

Thanks!

How about a Congo FAL ?
Standard FAL with a 17.5" para barrel.

Or a para for that matter.
(with fixed stock for post ban)

Or quite possibly a Heavy barrel
Izzy or Belgian type

Try here,
WWW.falfiles.com

Many options available.

Good luck deciding

Scott

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:37:21 AM EDT
I can't get that dam lightweight out of my head.man that thing is nice
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:42:43 AM EDT
The most common configuration is the 50.00 which is essentially what you built. Bipod cut barrel and HG (swap out for those Imbels you have), hump-back stock and 21" barrel with Belgian device on the end. These are found with either type 1 or 3 receivers.

An Izzy of any configuration will be expensive if you do it "right." You'll need to find an Izzy lower or figure out how to modify a regular metric lower to handle the Izzy selector. The gas block and several other parts are different. You could do the "kinda-sorta Izzy clone" which is just a 50.00 with Izzy LB furniture added. That's a great look, but don't let the light barrel idea fool you. The wood stock and that forend is NOT light. I actually removed the LB forend from my para because of the weight.

You know my thoughts on the R1. Buy the Gunkote and I'll camo it if you want or teach you how.

My favorite of the batch is the lightweight. That is the one I would grab if I "needed" a battle rifle.

The Para could be fun as well. Again, paras are not light nor cheap. Even with the DSA aluminum lower, mine is still over 9 pounds. It is handy though. Blocking it is easy and can be removed in 5 minutes on 9/14/04.

You could also do a beauty queen. Park and Kote the best quality kit you can find (like those $260 STG kits being advertised now which wouldn't even require parking first) and get a set of wood stocks from DSA or MisterJG. You'll turn heads every time you bring it out.

Fun or function? History or personal? Pretty or utilitarian? That's what I love about the FAL and what makes it such an addiction.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:37:56 PM EDT
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I think the lightweight is going to be the next project. I believe it will be fairly easy to get the parts together for it, and should be an excellent all-around rifle. I'll agree with Madhatter; I was pretty impressed at the weight of Cliffy's lightweight.

Other than the finish and, possibly, bore condition, are there any differences between the Gunthings Imbel kits and the STG kits? They seem to be the easiest to find, but I'm open to other suggestions if they are out there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:26:22 PM EDT
Since you're not going to be using the lower, overall condition isn't such a big concern. The STG barrel probably is slightly heavier than Imbel but it has a reputation of being "better", although that might just be due to people wanting to justify paying all that cash for the kits.

In theory, you really don't even need a kit. You could buy a complete STG front end from DSA for $100 and buy the rest of the stuff a-la-carte. Dan's and gunthings can supply the balance of the stuff you need and you can canabalize the HTS from your last build.

Here's another thing to consider with the LW. While you are going to spend extra money on the lower, you save by not needing to throw out your HTS set. You're using a US upper and lower. The Penguin economy stock is the lightest available and the 249 pistol grip looks and feels better so you're already up to 4 of the 6 you need. Then, choose 2 of the following: Century HG (lightest weight and cheapest), charging handle and gas piston.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:27:31 PM EDT
Oh, and did I mention you need to stick with DSA or Coonan for the upper? The type 1 is a few oz. less than a type 3 of the Imbel, plus the DSA lower is type 1.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:09:33 PM EDT
Roger that. I was thinking of going Coonan for this build. I saw the DSA group buy on the FALfiles, but they are still a little too pricey for me at the moment.

With the difficulty of finding kits, and some older threads on the FALfiles, am I correct in assuming that the supply of kits is running dry? Guess I need to figure out a way to overturn the "import ban".

BTW--Two thumbs up to Vanden Berg. Ed's a great guy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:42:25 PM EDT
It is my opinion that kits will soon be completely gone. There are rumors of all kinds of kit waiting to hit the shores, but I've about given up on them and believe bureaucracy will tie them up forever. The $260 group buy STG kits are a real deal. The other way to go is to get the STG front from DSA for $100, get a complete lower without butt stock from Dans for $50, get the bolt and carrier from Dans for $25 and beg borrow or steal a bolt hold open, mag release and screw (figure $20ish for these). You'll be under $200 and can sell the stripped lower for $20 on the files.

Dan also sells a package with bolt, carrier, BHO, mag release, HTS and all gas system parts for $50 which would give you some duplicate parts which are not bad to have anyway and will get the missing BHO and mag release you'll be needing but this does push you over $200. You could probably sell the bolt and carrier and a few other parts to get bakc down to $200.

By doing it this way, you'll have the "best" barrel out there without spending the money on a full STG kit that you really don't need anyway.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:29:31 PM EDT
Honestly, that blows. I think in addition to my "sunset the 'AW' ban" campaign, I need to figure a way to repeal the import ban. What a waste.

Any idea how the STG kits from GunThings are? I just noticed them on his site.

Money is a bit tight now, but I'm thinking of getting a couple of kits and squirreling them away for my next projects. I'm thinking of one of the group buy kits, and either another Imbel kit or the second group buy kit.

BTW--If I get a totally crappy barrel, can't I just get another barrel from DSA to replace?

Also, know anyone in this area that has a sandblasting setup and park tank?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:10:29 PM EDT
I took my STG58 and added Izzy furniture to it to give me a poor mans Izzy.It's got a high cool factor but the short hanguard places your hand very far back making the weapon VERY front heavy.From a functional point of view I really wouldn't recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:03:53 AM EDT
If you're looking for 2 kits, get the group buy ones. The ones from FAC are great, but overpriced. They are no different from the DSA ones for $299 and those $299 kits are what the group buy is getting for $260!

There aren't any more Imbel kits, other than private sales. You can find decent ones that way, but personally, I'd avoid buying ones originally sold by gunthings or Double G. The barrels on those were sewer pipes, although the lowers often were brand new. There are a few reconditioned Dan's kits popping up now and then and they would be nice kits.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 2:04:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cliffy109:
There aren't any more Imbel kits, other than private sales.

I say again, for the record, that this blows.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:54:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2003 8:57:29 AM EDT by davidp14]
squib,
dont forget ebay!

i see kits for sale there on a regular basis. especially imbels. a bit pricey though. but if thats what you want then go for it.
does tapco still have those "compliance" kits for sale?

im thinking the lightweight will be my next project after i turn the RA into an izzy clone. that IS a damn fine fal cliffy.

yes. tapco still has the imbel kits:
www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=ZFAL24IM&back=yes&dept=112&last=18

buy one of these and sell off the crap you dont want. like that butt fugly saw stock! and then you can use the money from that for parts.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:27:50 PM EDT
I'm looking at some options right now, but I didn't think of e-bay! Thanks David!

Question: If I get a kit with a less-than-stellar barrel, can't I just get a replacement from DSA? I'm sure one of their FAL barrels will fit, eh? Of course, you pay for it, but hey, it's a barrel, and should be in good shape.

I assume that this may require a LS change due to headspace changes.

I'm going to work a couple of "projects" in tandem, I believe. One "project" will be to finish the Imbel we built at the party. Vanden Berg Custom is lovingly machining a locking shoulder now. Then a-parking we will go!

The new project will be a lightweight on a Coonan upper. I'm thinking 16 1/4" barrel, no carry handle, lightweight parts. I'm thinking of leaving the bipod off the lightweight (for weight!). It, too, will get a nice finish.

One of them will get camo'ed. I'm going to try the GunKote. Not sure which one, but leaning towards the Imbel.

[wfft] There's the sound of my money flying out of my pocket.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:39:25 AM EDT
id also check tapco for barrels too. just send them the $5 handpick for a good bore, an economical way to go. i dont know if you saw but the barrel on my imbel from them is nearly perfect.
i think the barrels from dsa would be a good value since they are new. and you can get them pre-cut to quite a few different lengths.

are you gonna park yourself? if not, i met a guy that does nice work. let me know and ill send you his email.

ill hopefuuly get my LS in today or tomorrow and ill hit the range this sunday. next week(as soon as i make a CC payment) ill be buying the rest of my izzy furniture and an izzy mag catch.
it'll be a while before i can slip another reciever under the radar, a couple of months at least. gotta lay low for a while...
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:06:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2003 4:08:02 AM EDT by themadhatter]
dont forget that if you get a dsa (USA) barrel it will count as a USA part.so thats one less you have to get.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:18:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2003 4:19:16 AM EDT by Templar]
Fabrique Nationale in South Carolina is now making chrome lines cold hammer forged FAL barrels exclusively for........DSA!

And yeah, you'll pay for them, but they will be:

#1- REAL FN production
#2- US part
#3- Extremely high quality
Top Top