Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 2:08:25 AM EDT
Alright, I purchased an STG-58 a while back from a local gun-store for 500 smackers. However it was not in compliance so I disassembled it and kind of put it on the back burner (to much fun with SKSs and Aks). Now I'm looking to bring it into compliance now that the AWB sunsets. Is there any cheap trigger groups? The only one I can find is on DSA and it goes for $70 something. Also, would I be better off just unloading this guy and buying a FAL from ORF or picking up a cheap-o Century CETME (local store has new ones for $300)?

Jack
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.gunsnstuffonline.com/index.aspx?pagename=listpage&deptid=12784&title=FAL&circularid=4251

Scroll down (nearly at the bottom) and look at the Metric Hammer/Trigger/Sear combo for $50.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
i think most everyone is out or running out of the FSE HTS sets.
how do you know it's not compliant?
what type of receiver is it built on?
i wouldn't get rid of it, but you more than likely could get your $$ back if you did being you don't see STG kits for less than about $300 anymore
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Its an STG kit on an Enterprise reciever. Home built. They guy aparently just took the STG parts set and built it on the reciever, no new parts. Is ORF ever going to get new rifles in?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#4]
dunno anything about ORF other than they seem to have a good rep.
with your US made receiever, you could add DSA HTS ($65)+ US pistol grip ($15)+ US piston ($25) & US charging handle ($25) and be good to go. prices are approx.
the HTS sets while seemingly expensive are still a good value per US part IMO
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]
ARAGHHHHHHH!

Just got home. I went too two Pawn Shops and a Gunsmith. One Pawnshop "doesn’t buy machineguns" yet they have 3 sks and a Mac-10 clone. The other pawnshop offered me guess what... $65. "Assault Rifles just don't sell like they used too" He also has an SKS on a Monte Carlo stock for $400...

As for the gunsmith, he isn’t here today, and the guy there said for a headspace check and stuff he thinks it would run $200 because they would need to make a mold for it........WTF

Any way, I'm stuck with the STG, not that bad; I'm just amazed how I live no where near a competent gun shop... the one I bought this thing from claimed it was Dutch and Pre-ban.

Shoot me,
Jack
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
hell, i'll give ya $200 + $65 for it!!
just to be nice & help out & all.....
build it up, man!
oh, i feel you on the incompetent gunshop thing too!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyway to re-blue it? Or do I just end up painting it with engine paint ?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#8]
You have lots of options...  Here are my FAL projects

Sounds like you need a quality FFL out there... good luck!

As for a finish, I am planning to parkerize mine...

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Give you a AR lower for it....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

As for the gunsmith, he isn’t here today, and the guy there said for a headspace check and stuff he thinks it would run $200 because they would need to make a mold for it........WTF

Do WHAT?? My BS sensor just went off the scale-
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do WHAT?? My BS sensor just went off the scale-

Mine too.

Send it off to a reputable gunsmith and for MUCH less than $200 you could get it rebuilt and refinished.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Or for about $40 get yourself a set of headspace gauges...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#13]
This week sucks.
Brought the rifle down to another shop. Nice owner, shopped there before. He looked at the rifle, and from what he can tell "nothing is out of place, legal to me". I aksed how can ya tell about the parts, he said, "unless they say "made in china" no one really cares". As for head space he gave me the name of another Gunsmith so I will have to call him...

This bastard rifle is pissing me off.
Jack
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know of a place that sells INCH compliance parts?

I'm looking at picking up an older Century L1A1. It's got the metric upper, but everything else. Every place i look sells american made metric parts, but no compliant inch parts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This bastard rifle is pissing me off.
Jack

Dude!  You've got a gem on your hands.  It just will take a little bit of work.  You already have one compliance part, the receiver.  Get a furnature set and a HTS set and you're all set.  Yeah... check the headspace, but these things are pretty hard to screw up as far as that goes.  Any moron with a simple go and no-go gauge can tell you if its safe.  It helps to remove the extractor, but it isn't absolutely required (set the gauge in the bolt face, under the extractor and be friggin' careful).  

With the kind of ass kickin' you're looking at locally, you'd be better off spending just a few bucks more and getting that thing into shape.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Any US Metal Foregrips with bi-pod mounts?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#17]
FAC has the FSE inch trigger groups - www.gunsnstuffonline.com/index.aspx?pagename=moreinfo&uniqueid=3532297, and Arizona Repsonse Systems also has a good selection of inch compliance parts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:57:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Any US Metal Foregrips with bi-pod mounts?

Not that I'm aware of.   Tapco has plastic ones that have the same look and profile as the original STG set.  The metal gets VERY hot, very fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top