Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 7:11:53 AM EDT
Anybody use the FAC US Made FAL upper? I always use DSA but am doing a FAL for my brother in law on a budget. Do they time well? Hardened? How's the fit? Don't care about finish I re-park everything. Imbel is out of the question because for one I get DSA type 3's for just about what an Imbel runs (find a good friend with an ffl and you will too). And they have been banned from import and the rules and info these days seem to be blurry. The DSA and FAC receivers get you a compliant part too. Any ifo on the quality of the FAC uppers would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The type 3 is made by Century and the type 1 & 2 are made by Dan Coonan. I would stay away from the century because of the negatives of the name!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The type 3 is made by Century and the type 1 & 2 are made by Dan Coonan. I would stay away from the century because of the negatives of the name!

I would never put my face up against a Century receiver. I'm talking strictly Dan Connan here, any experience with the Coonan? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn't the ATF recently pay visits to a bunch of FAC upper customers because FAC sold them in an improperly demilled configuration?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a G1 built on an FAC FAFAL1 receiver. It went together very easily. It hand timed to about 11:15. Headspaced with a .262 locking shoulder and has functioned flawlessly.

These are made by Dan Coonan and are pretty good receivers. Dan Coonan is a standup guy from what I have heard. I have heard of a few prople having problems but nothing major so far.

Go to www.falfiles.com and do some reading. Do a search in the Gunsmithing and Build it yourself forum.

Any of the other FAC receivers that are less than $199 are enterprise IIRC.

Rusty
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a G1 built on an FAC FAFAL1 receiver. It went together very easily. It hand timed to about 11:15. Headspaced with a .262 locking shoulder and has functioned flawlessly.

These are made by Dan Coonan and are pretty good receivers. Dan Coonan is a standup guy from what I have heard. I have heard of a few prople having problems but nothing major so far.

Go to www.falfiles.com and do some reading. Do a search in the Gunsmithing and Build it yourself forum.

Any of the other FAC receivers that are less than $199 are enterprise IIRC.

Rusty

Thanks Rusty. Ever use Entreprise? Have never used one, like I said only DSA.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Imbel uppers have not been banned.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Didn't the ATF recently pay visits to a bunch of FAC upper customers because FAC sold them in an improperly demilled configuration?

It was, I think, InterOrdnance, not FAC.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Of course I could be wrong but I believe Imbel uppers are banned from further importation.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I could be wrong but I believe Imbel uppers are banned from further importation.

Nope. Why would they be? Only the complete rifles are banned. NORINCO is the one that got banned recently.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Patriot73

I have never used Enterprise but I have heard a lot of things about them. Most bad. They are not a quality receiver as far as I am concerned. If you are building on DSA receivers then I would stay with them. All other recievers are not as good as DSA. DSA is the best. The only reason to build on an Enterprise is that they are the only company that makes an inch reciever.

Imbel uppers are not banned. They are still being imported by a number of companies. I just built an Imbel out of a Dan's grade III kit on a 2003 Imbel gear logo receiver from FAC. It is a sweet shooting rifle.

The key factor in using an Imbel reciever is 922r. This is the law that determines the part count. In the case of an FAL there must be 7 US made parts if you have a muzzle attachment (brake or fake FH) or 6 US made parts if there is not muzzle attachment. If you build on an Imbel receiver then you must replace 7 other parts. If you build on a US receiver then you only have to replace 6 parts.

Hanko

You are correct. It was Interordinance. IIRC the problem was that when the receivers were demilled they were not cut properly. They left to much metal in the mag well area so that the receiver could be rewelded.

BigDozer66
Century, Imbel and DSA all make type III Recievers. I would use either Imbel or DSA.

FAC (Dan Coonan)only makes a type 1 reciever at this time. The FAFAL1 is with carry handle cut. The FAFAL2 is without carry handle cut.

DSA is the only company that I know of that is making a type II metric reciever.

I think that is all I have right now.
Rusty
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Patriot73

I have never used Enterprise but I have heard a lot of things about them. Most bad. They are not a quality receiver as far as I am concerned. If you are building on DSA receivers then I would stay with them. All other recievers are not as good as DSA. DSA is the best. The only reason to build on an Enterprise is that they are the only company that makes an inch reciever.

Imbel uppers are not banned. They are still being imported by a number of companies. I just built an Imbel out of a Dan's grade III kit on a 2003 Imbel gear logo receiver from FAC. It is a sweet shooting rifle.

The key factor in using an Imbel reciever is 922r. This is the law that determines the part count. In the case of an FAL there must be 7 US made parts if you have a muzzle attachment (brake or fake FH) or 6 US made parts if there is not muzzle attachment. If you build on an Imbel receiver then you must replace 7 other parts. If you build on a US receiver then you only have to replace 6 parts.

Hanko

You are correct. It was Interordinance. IIRC the problem was that when the receivers were demilled they were not cut properly. They left to much metal in the mag well area so that the receiver could be rewelded.

BigDozer66
Century, Imbel and DSA all make type III Recievers. I would use either Imbel or DSA.

FAC (Dan Coonan)only makes a type 1 reciever at this time. The FAFAL1 is with carry handle cut. The FAFAL2 is without carry handle cut.

DSA is the only company that I know of that is making a type II metric reciever.

I think that is all I have right now.
Rusty

Thanks Rusty. Yeah that pesky 922r....brilliant law. I swear I heard Imbel uppers were banned from further importation but it sounds like you guys have good news. I will try the Coonan for my Brother In law but I will stick with DSA receivers, they are the best I have ever seen. I have never actually seen an Entreprise but I have heard nothing but bad and after seeing some of the pictures on the front of their website showing how they build rifles, I think I will stay away. DSA is the best for sure. I have seen  Hesse and Century receivers obviously quite frequent and uh, no thanks. if you see a FAL for $500 at a gun show......run.
Thanks again fellas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top