Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2001 2:23:13 PM EDT
I tend to get confused on this very easy. Anyone want to explain it in a way that i can understand. And tell me what manufacturers use in their rifles. pros/cons?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask the assholes at "winchester".......thiy`er the ones who like to use it...........
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]

uhh what?
now im really confused.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok Bob, here goes:
PUSH FEED.
In this design, when the bolt moves forward and pushes a round up out of the magazine, the round is loose.  The bolt pushes the round into the chamber, then the extractor snaps over the rim.  If, before the round is chambered, the bolt is moved back, the round just lays there, since the extractor hasn't engaged the rim.  Most modern rifles use this system.

CONTROLLED FEED.
In this design, when the bolt moves forward and begins to push a round up out of the magazine, the round is immediately caught and held by the extractor.  The round is not free, and is held by the extractor until it is ejected.
The Mauser rifles, most older designs, and most pistols use this system.

Both work equally well.  Some people think the controlled feed better, since it is much more difficult to have a "double feed" situation.  With the push feed, if the bolt isn't closed over the chambered round, allowing the extractor to engage, opperating the bolt will attempt to feed another round, causing a jam.

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ask the assholes at "winchester".......thiy`er the ones who like to use it...........

Those damn mauser bros. too!, oh I forgot about those springfield jerks too.
GG
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]
is SAKO push or control?
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, so my weatherby Vanguard is a push feed then? I dont see the round beiong gripped as I strip a new round from the mag.
If controlled feed is preferable then why arent more rifles done with this in mind?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 5:10:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Snork:

In theory, push feed designs are a bit stronger than controlled feed designs.  They’re also probably cheaper to make.

Look at the Remington Model 700 and Mauser M98 boltfaces, below.  The Model 700 is a push feed.  It has what Remington used to call a “ring of steel” on the boltface.  This ring surrounds most of the rim of the cartridge and supposedly supports the base of the round if for some reason it starts to come apart.  You can’t have this ring along the lower part of the boltface on a controlled feed since the round must slide underneath the extractor as it comes out of the magazine.  You can see the difference with the M98 boltface.

Further, the Model 700 has a plunger type ejector mounted in, and projecting from the boltface.  This wouldn’t work with a controlled feed since the ejector would be in the way and keep the cartridge from rising fully into the boltface.  

With a controlled feed firearm, the extractor has to be fully withdrawn from the boltface as the cartridge is fed.  Typically, the ejector is mounted on the receiver and some sort of slot is cut in the boltface for it to project through when ejecting a casing.  This, in theory, weakens the bolt.  You can see this slot in the M98 boltface.

AR’s are, of course, push feed.  

Controlled feed is considered desirable in bolt guns since they’re manually operated and shooters sometimes fumble when cycling them.  This is much less of an issue with semi-auto rifles.

Ruger M-77 bolt guns are controlled feed.  Winchester pre-64 Model 70’s were controlled feed.  When Winchester redesigned it in 1964, they went to push feed - and took a lot of grief over it.  They now offer the Model 70 in both controlled and push feed.

Gunplay:  Every Sako I know of is push feed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top