Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2012 4:09:54 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I got my first suppressor about a year ago a YHM Mite, b/c at the time I had been bugging my local CLEO for about a year and a half if he would sign my form 4 if I bought a suppressor.  Well one day he finally he said he would, so right away I went to my friend's gun shop (FFL that deals in suppressors) and at the time the MITE is the only thing he had in stock and I wasn't about to wait for one to come in, knowing that my luck would be the CLEO would change his mind not to sign.... ANYWAYS... I know the MITE is not the best sound reduction quality, although I am pleased with it, I know it can be better.  I know liberty suppressors can retrofit my can with "their" monocore baffle system, which is machined from stainless, unlike the YHM Mite, but the job costs $380.  The Benefit being the wait time is less than a month, and no additional tax stamp (if I bought another, let alone the wait time)  My question is does anyone have any experience with this retrofit they offer?  Do you guys think their version of my retrofitted Mite would be quieter?  For what it is worth I probably have 150 rounds or less through my Mite currently... thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe YHM will swap your Alum core for the stainless one for about $100. Nate would be the one to speak too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
What are the benefits of doing that (mite owner)
Link Posted: 1/16/2012 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
from what I have read/heard... the mite is probably one of the loudest .22 suppressors on the market... personally I was at my local range one day and I was shooting my walther p22 with my mite using subsonic ammo and it sounded good... then some guy rolls up with the exact same setup with an AAC .22 can, which he let me shoot using my own ammo, don't know which model of AAC it was but the difference was very noticeable.  Thats why I was looking to see if the sound reduction level was worth it
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 3:48:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I did not speak to Nate at YHM but I did call and for what it is worth they told me that the stainless core is not compatible with the aluminum core due to the design of the endcap where you disassemble...
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
That's news to me because I originally had a Alum one and had them swap it out to the stainless one. Talk to Nate
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you notice any performance difference when going from the aluminum core to the stainless steel one?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes the Alum was quieter. Something to do with the harmonics I believe
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if the recore from Liberty is worth the $400 just to get a little quieter. I have a Mite and came close to sending in for the recore but just spent the $$$$ on a SS Sparrow instead. Shoot the Mite wet and it will improve the sound reduction.

I personally would only recore if the suppressor sealed up and then filled up (takes a lot to fill it) or if I just had a ton of cash laying around.

oh and start a trust and skip the whole need for the CLEO signature.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top