Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2002 8:20:38 AM EDT
Since its introduction in Vietnam, how has the original M16 bolt and carrier group changed? I was having the old and tired discussion about the reliability of the M16 in Vietnam and wondered what changes have been made. I know that there were other factors like ammo problems that gave our boys a hard time over there, but what else about the design has given the M16 its undeserved reputation?

Thanks,
Brian
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#1]
That's classified information, Dr. Rumorie.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#2]
THe only changes to the bolt/carrier I'm aware of are the addition of the FA notches and later the change to the ejector spring/buffer for the M4. All the problems in Nam were related to incorrect powder and poor (non existant) maintanence. The biggest change to the actual rifle was the chrome bore and chamber.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
There have been numerous changes to the bolt carrier group. different firing pins, fp retaining pins, weights of the carrier itself, chrome plating, gas tube keys. Pick up a copy of The Black Rifle from Collector Grade Publications, it goes into great detail.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Weren't most of the changes you are referring to made during the design stages of the original rifles? I was talking about *since* Vietnam.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#5]
gus
Yes you are correct my mistake!
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, that was the kind of info I was looking for. I mentioned the chrome lining, lack of training and maintenence, powder selection and all of the other things to this guy and he just doesn't seem to get it. I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top