Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 8/22/2005 10:12:35 AM EDT
And the myth that the round could kill you even if it manages to just barely miss you by passing within a foot or two.

There's simply no way unless somebody had their head right next to the muzzle brake or something similarly stupid.

I'd love for one of us to manage to get on the show and let the mythbuster guys have some fun with a 50BMG, certainly have a better go of it than their episode where they fired the AR50 into the water and their "expert" could hardly tell if the damn rifle was on safe or not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Day-yum!  I gotta get me some of them there bullets!  (said in my best hillbilly accent).

Makes you wonder who would start such a silly myth, and better yet, who would be stupid enough to believe it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Seriously?

I hear this shit coming from military personel be it: active duty, reserve, or formerly enlisted.    It's not the first time I've heard the myth and I had heard of it before I ever started going to the mythbuster's forums.

Being that many troops seem to believe everything told to them it's rediculous trying to get them to believe otherwise.    I work with a former Marine who thought the myth was true.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#3]
no, it cant..  could it do "damage" it its "just" missed? maybe.. but by "just" im talking a mm or 2 and by "damage" im talking "ouch... WTF was that?"
not "OMG! where did my leg go!"

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Ask them why paper targets don't get blown apart by this same shockwave.

Maybe Mythbusters could set up their dummy or make one out of ballistic gelatin to try it out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
For the love of god people who are in the army are not the all knowing of every thing with weapons.  They listen to the same myths and pass them down.  I once was told that a bullet moves in a sin wave as it traves, that is how he justifyed the 3/8 on the A2 sight wheel.  THIS IS THE GUY WHO TOUGHT ME BRM IN BASIC!!!

Matt
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]
So true Matt, I once wanted to punch a RO in the face for telling guys to adjust the T&E to get on target and not the sights! This was while teaching guys on the M60 and shooting those neat little training paper targets.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 I once was told that a bullet moves in a sin wave as it traves, that is how he justifyed the 3/8 on the A2 sight wheel.  Matt

He must have been confused with the "archers paradox".    Really, that was funny.  I'll have to start spreading that one around.

In reference to barral harmonics, let him know that to adjust the round impact up or down he has to lop of a 1/2 inch of barrel length untill it hits where he wants.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So true Matt, I once wanted to punch a RO in the face for telling guys to adjust the T&E to get on target and not the sights! This was while teaching guys on the M60 and shooting those neat little training paper targets.

If the M60 is zeroed why wouldn't you adjust the t&e to get on target?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If this was true, how come my chrono still survives?

Matt
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The M60's were on the range to be sighted in, instead of teaching the guys to adjust the sights he was telling them to adjust the T&E. There's a big difference in the two, sure you could walk the rounds into the target but if the sights aren't close to begin with...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The M60's were on the range to be sighted in, instead of teaching the guys to adjust the sights he was telling them to adjust the T&E. There's a big difference in the two, sure you could walk the rounds into the target but if the sights aren't close to begin with...

Now I understand. Not much use in the T&E if it's not sighted in.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top