Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2010 11:48:41 PM EDT
I am looking for a way to engrave some SBR's that I have made in accordance with ATF regulations.  
Does anyone know of a way, or machine that is not to expensive to engrave text onto a weapon receiver?

I dont want it to llok like crap, I want it to look professional.

Thanks,

David
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 5:28:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Your only option would be to use steel stamps and a hammer. Also, I think the receiver is supposed to be engraved before the gun is assembled.

IM user "karma". He has a laser engraving business in the Rockwall area and does good work. He's got two AK receivers of mine right now.
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#2]
To legally make your SBR:

1) Engrave lowers (or have it done).
2) File Form 1.
3) Wait several months.
4) Receive Approved Form 1.
5) Build SBR.
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Your only option would be to use steel stamps and a hammer. Also, I think the receiver is supposed to be engraved before the gun is assembled.

IM user "karma". He has a laser engraving business in the Rockwall area and does good work. He's got two AK receivers of mine right now.

FYI, YMMV, not all lasers meet the depth to be legal per ATF requirements.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#4]
An idea- Find an ASME pressure vessel codeshop.

Many vendors will engrave their nameplates, and have the tools to do so in-house.

If you're in oil country this should be easy to locate, but JRS won't let me see your location.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI, YMMV, karma has been doing this for a little while.  He MAY know the minimum depth requirement.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#6]
.003 min. per B.A.T.F.E.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI, YMMV, karma has been doing this for a little while.  He MAY know the minimum depth requirement.

FYI, YMMV, well aware of it. But a lot of vendors aren't, or don't care. I had a vendor tell me that their equipement did not go deep enough, but tried to talk me in to it anyway.

(no need to be an a-hole about it)
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe Karma is Ident Marking out of Texas.  If so, they are GTG.  They did one of my lowers recently and did excellent work, and they are using YAG lasers that will engrave to spec.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top