Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2011 10:38:09 AM EDT
Soooo... I kinda fucked up on my lower reciever engraving request when I sent it to the fine folks at Orion Arms.  I requested "First Middle Last Name Trust"  Well, I just recieved a kick back on my paper work from Pickles stating I need to add 'revocable living' so the whole reads, "First Middle Last Revocable Living Trust."

My question is, do I need to resend my reciever to be engraved again in a new place? I understand the whole, this is the gubment-federal-law-red-tape-you-really-wanna-go-to-jail-type thing.  

On a positive, I at least got my city and state on there correctly.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#1]
does block 3b on your Form 1 say "xyz revocable living trust"?
what does your trust document name your trust?

the ATF doesn't know what you had engraved, so they kicked back the paperwork for something you wrote on your form 1
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for the muddled post, I'm trying to write this at work.. I was kicked back for 3(b) saying NAME TRUST and not NAME REVOCABLE LIVING TRUST (which is how the trust became titled).  I have NAME TRUST on  lower. Will I need to have the reciever re-engraved NAME REVOCABLE LIVING TRUST?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sorry for the muddled post, I'm trying to write this at work.. I was kicked back for 3(b) saying NAME TRUST and not NAME REVOCABLE LIVING TRUST (which is how the trust became titled).  I have NAME TRUST on  lower. Will I need to have the reciever re-engraved NAME REVOCABLE LIVING TRUST?

no,
you should be fine with just Trust
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

yes you will need to add the revocable living portion in there, i think orion could fill it, and re-engrave.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

no,

this is incorrect.

if your trust document calls the trust "john c doe revocable living trust" that is the official name of the trust. the BATFE kicked back your paperwork for putting the wrong trust name in 3b. the engraving on your item must match what is in 3b.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no,

this is incorrect.

if your trust document calls the trust "john c doe revocable living trust" that is the official name of the trust. the BATFE kicked back your paperwork for putting the wrong trust name in 3b. the engraving on your item must match what is in 3b.

I was told differently by the ATF Examiner that handles my forms (Santamaria), she stated that Trust is an acceptable abbreviation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, lets think outside the box.  If this is the first item on your trust, would it not be easier to amend the trust and change the name to match the engraving?

ETA:
1. Keep your trust name short.
2. Engrave before you submit your forms.
3. Install LPK before you submit your forms.

Just Sayin!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Two Options:
1 - reengrave the entire trust name
2 - New trust with the name that is engraved on the lower

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#9]
No go on trust rename thanks to program I used. I guess I can write/call BATFE for official ruling. Even if approved tomorrow I will need a few months to raise the capital to complete the build since debt ain't my thing. I just hate the idea of my lower being lost in the mail once that tax has been paid if I do have to send it to MN for another engraving.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just Sayin!

Why this one?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just Sayin!

Why this one?

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just Sayin!

Why this one?

+1

I'm guessing for a fit check to make sure the lower is in spec.  Maybe a function check as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I assume that he is saying it's one of the steps of the process of building a lower where any unnoticed defects may become evident.

[ETA] Endless_Mike beat me to it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]
i dont know why, but i read into wrong.
Its sound advice
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:09:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I recommend that you install your LPK because there is a chance of breaking the lower when driving in the roll pins.  Think about the roll pin for the trigger guard and the bolt release.  

If you break the lower after it's registered you out the price of the lower AND the 200 buck.  And you start the WAIT all over again.

Just my personal advise.  It's the way I do it.  Engrave, Install, mail.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Which program did you use that you can't change the name of the trust?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No go on trust rename thanks to program I used. I guess I can write/call BATFE for official ruling. Even if approved tomorrow I will need a few months to raise the capital to complete the build since debt ain't my thing. I just hate the idea of my lower being lost in the mail once that tax has been paid if I do have to send it to MN for another engraving.

Write up a amendment in Word that says from XX date the John Doe Revocable Living Trust will be named the John Doe Trust.  Go get it notarized and send the whole thing to BATFE.

You don't need to rename it in whatever program you're using.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Write up a amendment in Word that says from XX date the John Doe Revocable Living Trust will be named the John Doe Trust.  Go get it notarized and send the whole thing to BATFE.

I've saved my Willmaker Trust as a word document which allows me to change things as I see fit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:56:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you do this legally?  What about if you have other items engraved with the old trust name?  I've been thinking about shortening my trust name in this manner but already have 2 items engraved.

Link Posted: 2/3/2011 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you do this legally?  What about if you have other items engraved with the old trust name?  I've been thinking about shortening my trust name in this manner but already have 2 items engraved.

Yes, you can legally rename a trust by amending it.  You would need to contact ATF to see whether they would be cranky about doing that with NFA firearms already in the trust.  At the end of the day, the same entity owns the firearms.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Just change the name of your trust by an amendment.  That would be the simplest thing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#22]
So has anybody actually amended their trust name??

This thread was the reason I decided to formally submit a request for variance on my engraving so that I would have it in paper, I got it back denied today.
So now I am looking at re-engraving all of my SBRs to include Revocable Living, or renaming my trust...
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This thread was the reason I decided to formally submit a request for variance on my engraving so that I would have it in paper, I got it back denied today.
So now I am looking at re-engraving all of my SBRs to include Revocable Living, or renaming my trust...

If you're concerned about the legalities of renaming a trust, you need to contact an attorney that specializes in estate planning.  They handle that stuff every day.  Also, the marking variance request is for 07 FFLs, not for a non-licensee making an NFA item.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're concerned about the legalities of renaming a trust, you need to contact an attorney that specializes in estate planning.  They handle that stuff every day.  Also, the marking variance request is for 07 FFLs, not for a non-licensee making an NFA item.

I am in contact with an attorney, I am more concerned about the ATF side of things, the actually telling them the trust has changed names
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#25]
removed

teamroper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top