[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the Ishapore 303 I bought was a turd.

I should have bought another K31

Get yourself a nice Brit or Savage No4....they're worlds different than an Indian gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Lithgow, Brother, Lithgow!

I collect Enfields, and my Lithy's are some of my favorites...and they are definitely drying up.

I think the days of REALLY nice Enfields are gone....at least the easily bought, mass import types. Time was when you could be at a gunshow, and see a hundred or more Enfields to choose from, and get excellent condition, all original, all matching guns with neat markings for $85 to $125...

Now, its been my experience that there are very few to be seen, they aren't usually in good shape (lots of repairs, mismatched, etc).

Since the importers are starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel now, there will be even less really nice guns, so it might be a crap shoot. Stay away from Ishapore's....unless they are early ones, they aren't nearly as nice as Brit, Aussie, Canadian, or Savage guns.

I would definitely grab a Lithgow though....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#5]
My Savage is MUCH better than the Ishapore I have.

Better metal, better wood, and it's made in the USA!

Av.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Av.

Savages are very nice, and a unique piece of history...one thing to watch for on Savages, especially now, and with an eye towards collectability (people who just want shooters won't care) is the marking of parts.

On an all original Savage, pretty much every part will be marked with the Savage squared "S" in a square mark somewhere, including bands, wood (all three pieces), trigger, mag, etc, etc. Pretty much every piece except screws and such. On some parts a Long Branch LB mark can be expected, as Long Branch and Savage did exchange some parts when shortages happen. Any non Savage or Long Branch parts show that the rifle was re-worked or monkeyed with.

An all original, all correct matching Savage will bring a big premium from an Enfield collector.

The main problem with all these latest imports is that many of them are coming from India, who used the Enfield into the 80's and 90's. Therefore many have been through Ishy rebuilds...one sure way to tell is a reinforcing screw going tranversely through the forearm...the screw (not a pin) was only used by the Indians, and they put them on most of their guns. See the Ishy screw, and you can be sure your Enfield spent part of its life in India....

Purists like to avoid the Ishy screw, unless the gun is a scarce variant....since it definitely wasn't on the gun when built....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Av.

Savages are very nice, and a unique piece of history...one thing to watch for on Savages, especially now, and with an eye towards collectability (people who just want shooters won't care) is the marking of parts.

On an all original Savage, pretty much every part will be marked with the Savage squared "S" in a square mark somewhere, including bands, wood (all three pieces), trigger, mag, etc, etc. Pretty much every piece except screws and such. On some parts a Long Branch LB mark can be expected, as Long Branch and Savage did exchange some parts when shortages happen. Any non Savage or Long Branch parts show that the rifle was re-worked or monkeyed with.

An all original, all correct matching Savage will bring a big premium from an Enfield collector.

The main problem with all these latest imports is that many of them are coming from India, who used the Enfield into the 80's and 90's. Therefore many have been through Ishy rebuilds...one sure way to tell is a reinforcing screw going tranversely through the forearm...the screw (not a pin) was only used by the Indians, and they put them on most of their guns. See the Ishy screw, and you can be sure your Enfield spent part of its life in India....

Purists like to avoid the Ishy screw, unless the gun is a scarce variant....since it definitely wasn't on the gun when built....

The Savage I have has no dreaded "Ishy" screw and all parts that are supposed to have an S mark, have it.

I don't belive any of the imported Savage rifles have the Ishy screw - I have not seen any reports of it at least.

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top