Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 5:40:12 AM EDT
So now that I have my c@r I now have to K31's and so next month Lord willing I will be bying another rifle. So the queston is I can either get a 91/30 Nagant at aim or a British enfield from SOG what would you guys do? I plan on getting both eventualy, and one more queston does anybody have one of those laminate stock 91/30's are they worth the mony?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Enfields are harder to get ammo for.

91/30 front sight will probably need some TLC to get on target. I had to raise mine about 1/32 of an inch.  I think I like my M38 a bit more than my 91/30. With that C&R you can get a lami for the same price as self-wood stock (retail).

Mosins are a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
just because of the ammo situation, I'd go with the 91/30.  It's really hard to beat their $69.95 91/30's plus shipping, and get an 800 round case of the czech surplus.  These 91/30's will probably still have some coating to the wood, mine did and it wasn't one of the "laminated" ones.  They've all been rearsenaled by the Russians, so they should be good to go as far as plinking.  The bore will probably be a little messy, clean it out with a good brush and some strong solvent.  

enjoy!

-mark
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#3]
yea i was leaning that way. I think the 91/30  will be the newest member of my family. Do the bores usualy look pretty good after they clean up or are they pretty burned up. In the past I have owned several m44's wish I still had them ,but they all had pretty decent bores.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The bores should be decent, and shootable.  The one 91/30 I have (the $69.95 deal) had a dirty bore when I got it, caked in cosmoline and dirt.  Soaked it with a lot of CLP and hoppes, scrubbed for a good 10 minutes or so and it came out nice.  The grooves are pretty worn, light freckling or frosting as they call it, but no pitting anywhere.  It keeps tighter groups than my K98.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I was at a show with my friend... I saw one 91/30 and it was priced lower than the others there. I said "someone will buy it" and walked away. I looked back and my friend was buying it. Later on, I helped him clean and prep the rifle and the bore had some wear, so I was a bit worried if he would like it. It is quite accurate and he is very happy. We do 'firing squads' and the rifles firing in tandem is really something  :)

I will be buying an Enfield too, though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Just from a collection and history standpoint, you almost HAVE to get an Enfield.

From an ammunition standpoint, get the 91/30.

Decent ammo for the Mosins is pleantiful.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy both!

Everyone needs a Mosin.  

Everyone should get an Enfield (while you still can).  Go for a #4 with the micrometer rear sight.

Have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top