Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2006 9:26:53 AM EDT
My enfield is not extracting rounds.  I cleaned all the cosmo out of it and ended up buying a new extractor and spring but no dice.  I don't know where to go from here.  At first it was extracting rounds fine didn't throw them out but the round would always extract and come out.  Now I can get the bolt back without rodding it.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It can be amazing as to how much gun goo can still hide itself in the area of the lugs.  You might need to clean even more.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Chamber's crudded up more than likely.  How's the headspace?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive just gotten into relics on my own.  In the past my dad would look at it...he is old and wise in the subject...I am not.  I can honestly tell you I don't know how to check the headspacing.  The shooting aspect is my strong point not the refinishing and building.  Any advice is of course appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a No4Mk1 and haven't had a bit of problems so I can't really help you much on the extraction problems.

But the ejection problem probably isn't one. The screw on the left side of the receiver is the ejector. There is no spring or anyother device. Just a bit of screw shank extending out the inside of the receiver. If you want the rifle to really through the brass you have to work the bolt smartly. My guess is you're "babying" the working of the bolt. I do it too, so I don't have to chase brass every where.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ive just gotten into relics on my own.  In the past my dad would look at it...he is old and wise in the subject...I am not.  I can honestly tell you I don't know how to check the headspacing.  The shooting aspect is my strong point not the refinishing and building.  Any advice is of course appreciated.

Disclaimer: Headspacing should most likely be checked by a qualified gunsmith.  The Enfield is really good about not taking your head off in a catastrophic case failure, but a properly headspaced rifle is a safe rifle.

That said, you most likely still have cosmoline and crud caked up in the chamber. Pull the wood off the thing and soak it in kerosene for a few days, then attack the chamber area with powertools if need be.  

You might also want to go back to the original extractor, though I'd try it with the new spring.  I don't think that's the problem.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#6]
It is not that I am babying it.  Its to the point you can not force it out with the bolt.  I need to rod it to get the casing out.  I think im gonna soak again to get rid of the excess cosmo and if still a no go I will bring it out to a gunsmith.  I don't like doing so because really the rifle didn't put me back that much.  Would prefer just buying another if I am gonna loose so much money on it.  I am fine with giving all my time to it.  I have no problem with this but sinking the ammount some gunsmiths ask is just not worthwhile for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Strange that you didn’t have the problem, but now you do.  Have you changed ammo?

Sounds like either an overpressure issue or a misshapen chamber.

You need to get a flashlight and take a real hard look into your chamber.  

And try a different make of ammo.

You’re probably doing it anyway, but be sure and wear good eye protection when firing this thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top