Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 3:15:35 PM EDT
Ok I've looked all over for information about this stuff but I couldn't find aything. I'm probably not looking properly but I figured I'd submit my queries to the wealth of knowledge that is Arfcom.

This looks like Arabic; what is it and what does it tell me?

If you look very closely to the 'III' it looks like a small Star of David that's been struck through, can anyone tell me about it?

And in this picture there appears to be a mark of a 'R' or 'P' broadhead arrow then 'T' and a date which looks like 1926, which have all been struck through. What do they mean and why were they struck through?

Thanks ahead of time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like a nice rifle though.<G>

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a picture of the whole rifle if you really wanted to see it:

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The rifle is a No. 1 Mk.III*, which differed from the Mk.III by elimination of the magazine cutoff.  Apparently the rifle saw service with an Arab army and they took exception to the asterisk looking too much like a Star of David.  The Arabic writing on the marking disk on the butt is probably a unit ID.  The broadhead is the British property mark, and it would make sense to have it struck out if it was no longer owned by the Brits.

Nice looking SMLE, BTW.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you very much. I'll have to find someone who can read Arabic now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably Egyption marks, Iraqi used ones will usually have a property mark on recvr ring , barrel and stock disc that looks kinda like a backward 2 in a triangle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top