Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 2:34:20 AM EDT
This is a pvs14. When viewing in dark conditions with the gain turned up there are two bright spots that appear. Turning the gain down causes them to fade and disappear. They appear in the same place each time.  Also, If I cover the objective I can make them appear by turning up the gain.

Are these emission points?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#1]
do they remain after the unit is powered off?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you they appear bright when in complete darkness WITH the daylight cover on?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]
No  they fade out with e objective covered. They also do not remain lit when the power is turned off.

They pretty much only appear in really dark condition with the gain way up. I did notice with the gain at a normal setting I can see small dark spots where the bright spots would appear. Perhaps this is just a minor defect in the tube? It does not effect viewing in a large way. I just want to know if I should expect them to get worse over time.

ETA- they disappear completely when going from very dark conditions to brighter conditions.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
A steady or fluctuating pinpoint of bright light in the image area that does not go away when all light is blocked from the objective lens. The position of an emission point within the field of view will not move. If an emission point disappears or is only faintly visible when viewing under brighter nighttime conditions, it is not indicative of a problem. If the emission point remains bright under all lighting conditions, the system needs to be repaired. Do not confuse an emission point with a point of light source in the scene being viewed.
View Quote

Looks like you're good to go but keep any eye on it just in case!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top