Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/15/2004 3:32:34 PM EDT
Could you guys help me decide?

I've pretty much narrowed the search for a full size folder and would appreciate if anyone has experience/opinions with either of these models.  I'm looking at the Emerson Super CQC-7 or the Buck Strider 880T.  They are practically the same design/size/blade shape/profile.  Here are the distinctions...

Emerson offers BT coating on the blade and has Wave opening ($220 MSRP  - $155 internet).

Buck/Strider has Bos treated ATS-34 steel and is less expensive ($195 MSRP - $115 internet).

Below are pics... thanks for any insight!
-Randy

Link Posted: 7/15/2004 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Emerson for looks and materials, 154CM is a great steel, holds an edge, very durable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I like the 154CM steel, too.  I listed the ATS-34 as a distinction because it is actually Hitachi's "brand" of 154CM that some argue is a little better than no brand 154CM.  And if Mick Strider uses Bos heat treating on his custom knives, then it must be worth something!  Not sure about the Emerson heat treating, but I definitely like the BT coating.

Thanks for the input, anyone else?
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
the Emerson is certainly more low profile, and will not rub a raw spot on your leg like the B/S can.  The B/S is a great knife, though.  I just thought mine was a little large for the pocket.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Emerson
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]
The WAVE opening feature in the Emerson is faster than any switchblade on opening the knife.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't figure out which is which...

Sly
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
oh boy...from a certified knife knut...this is a choice between the lesser of evils if you ask me.

the buck striders ergonomics blow...REALLY blow.

and i hate emersons.

however if it is between those two...get the emerson, more practical.

Link Posted: 8/10/2004 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
oh boy...from a certified knife knut...this is a choice between the lesser of evils if you ask me.

the buck striders ergonomics blow...REALLY blow.

and i hate emersons.

however if it is between those two...get the emerson, more practical.

Why do you hate the Emersons?
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
i hate emersons because of the way they handle...i also hate their chisel grinds on some models....i thing they are overpriced for the materials...and i think they are esthetically unpleasing.

this is all personal stuff for me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Emerson is the only way to go!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a Mini Commander,  seems well made to me and the chisel grind is a good thing. The wave opening feature was the main reason I chose this brand.

[There are several reasons for the chisel grind. For any of you who have ever used a correctly sharpened wood chisel for woodworking, you know what a chisel can do. Although a knife is not a chisel, those properties, when applied to a knife grind have almost magical effect. A chisel ground knife, being beveled, (ground) on one side only, possesses greater strength, (due to increased cross sectional mass) and they cut with an ease not found on any other type of blade. This is because there is no parasitic drag produced by the flat side when cutting --- no drag points. On top of that, they are much easier to sharpen --- you only have to sharpen one side.]

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an Emerson Blackbird. I actually like the ergonomics and lock strength. The chisel grind sucks. I used it to cut some fishing line. After a morning on the water I could drag the blade over my hand without any fear of cutting myself. I would avoid anything with a chisel grind. They are easy to resharpen, but dont hold an edge worth a shit.

My knives are primarily used as tools. I have yet to emilinate a sentry or decapitate a rabid grizzly.

I purchased a MOD Keating with a plain edge. I have been carring this knife for over 1 year and recommend it highly. I did upgrade it by attaching a spyderco clip. That was more a matter of preference than necessity. The black titanium coating on the blade is far more durable than the black t on Emerson knives.

Anyone want to buy a blackbird????
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Emerson for sure..............Got to catch the wave once you have it you'll love it
http://usualsuspect.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=659

My customized cqc11-Blackhawk!!!!!!!!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top