Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/2/2005 2:17:35 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with this rifle?

Is it fun to shoot? How is the inherent accuracy? Is it good enough for SHTF/bug-out situations? How would you compare it to a Garand?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:11:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 4:06:36 AM EDT by curt]
Edited cause i misunderstood the nomenclature of the weapon you were referring too.

Maybe i shouldn't smoke my cold medicine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:42:14 PM EDT
Since you live in PRK, as I do, your choices are limited in .223 semi-auto. Either a neutered AR-15 such as a FAB-10 or Vulcan, a Mini-14 or an SU-16. I have all except for the Mini-14; I don't like the way it feels and it is generally not very accurate out of the box. Generally, the people that like AR-15s will like the SU-16, those that like M-1s will like the Mini-14. I like mine, because 1) uses AR-15 mags
2) for a cheap gun it is fairly accurate (I do under 2 inches at 100 yards myself and here's a link to someone better shooting sub-MOA with out of the box SU, (there is a wealth of info specific to California and also SU16, you should join)calguns.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/332609466/m/91710688521
3) So far it has held up just fine, in spite of people calling it "Mattel" (just think though, AR-15 was dubbed a (mickey)mousegun and it lasted), but time will tell.

Honestly though, if I could have a non-neutered AR-15, that is all I would have.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:38:27 PM EDT
I have a SU-16A. I got it just to see how durable it is. Over the course of a couple of days, I put 1,000 rounds of Wolf 62 grain FMJ through it to see if it could handle it. Worked fine. The bolt stayed clean unlike the AR15/M16 and only minumal cleaning was needed.

The barrel is thin and gets real hot real fast in rapid fire. No effect on reliability though accuracy is reduced. It's a neat little gun and legal in California at the moment which is a real plus. Try this web site for more info. http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=105

I am not sorry I got mine. I got the short forearm, added a Harris bi-pod and T168 scope just for grins and giggles. Make it look more impressive.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:35:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gaweidert:
I have a SU-16A. I got it just to see how durable it is. Over the course of a couple of days, I put 1,000 rounds of Wolf 62 grain FMJ through it to see if it could handle it. Worked fine. The bolt stayed clean unlike the AR15/M16 and only minumal cleaning was needed.

The barrel is thin and gets real hot real fast in rapid fire. No effect on reliability though accuracy is reduced. It's a neat little gun and legal in California at the moment which is a real plus. Try this web site for more info. http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=105

I am not sorry I got mine. I got the short forearm, added a Harris bi-pod and T168 scope just for grins and giggles. Make it look more impressive.

Pics?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:40:54 PM EDT
So would you say that it is a worthy alternative to an AR?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:46:32 PM EDT

So would you say that it is a worthy alternative to an AR?

I wouldn't say it is a worthy alternative ( I like my neutered AR-15 better, but have to break it open to reload), but under the Kali-ban circumstance the best choice from my perspective.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:50:51 AM EDT
for more info..........

http://www.kel-tec.com

decent rifle.. throw on a red dot and u good to go. i would get the Su16 over the Mini 14.. for one reason,, decent high quality mags that work... AR15 mags are in abundance and cheap. compared to mini's.
Top Top