Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 1:51:14 PM EDT
A friend has 3/4's of a case of 8mm from Ecquador. The bullet is silver. Is this a nickle jacket?
It's on strippers, which is part of my question.

On his rifle, the case is damn near impossible to extract after firing, and it's pretty easy to extract from my beater Turkish Mauser. So I was going to trade some of my stash for his. It's just baffled us as to why this is happeneing. We thought maybe they were intended to be machine gun rounds, but since they're on strippers, that makes no sense. I can't remember the year on these. I'm thinking it's from the 70's but I can't be sure.

Any ideas as to why it would be sticking in a Mauser with a tighter feeling action, and slightly sticking in one with a much freer one?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#1]
He may need to clen out the chamber of his rifle.  Get a bronze brush that just can contact the chamber.  Put it on the end of a drill.  Dip it in some Hoppe's and give the chamber a good scouring.   Many of these old milsurps have been helped by this.  There may be a bunch of bake on cosmolene and crud in there that is hindering proper extraction.

Silver bullets are nickle plated.  Reports on Ecquadorian ammo are all over the place.   All agree that the stripper clips are some of the best out there.  If it works in yur rifle, then a trade would be fine.  Have him clean out his chamber first.  I bet he will have the problem with other ammo too if a dirty chamber is the problem.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He may need to clen out the chamber of his rifle.  Get a bronze brush that just can contact the chamber.  Put it on the end of a drill.  Dip it in some Hoppe's and give the chamber a good scouring.   Many of these old milsurps have been helped by this.  There may be a bunch of bake on cosmolene and crud in there that is hindering proper extraction.

Silver bullets are nickle plated.  Reports on Ecquadorian ammo are all over the place.   All agree that the stripper clips are some of the best out there.  If it works in yur rifle, then a trade would be fine.  Have him clean out his chamber first.  I bet he will have the problem with other ammo too if a dirty chamber is the problem.

It seems like some fine ammo, and a trade of some 70's Yugo should be sufficient I suppose. But, as for the extraction problem, I've had issues with gunked up chambers before, and this doesn't feel the same. I mean, you literally have to whack the bolt to even get it to rotate upwards before you extract the casing. It's not near as as bad on my beater rifle though, but on some rounds you have to work the bolt a little bit to get it to rotate up also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top