Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Posted: 10/9/2009 3:50:36 AM EDT
I know....I know but these are not privately owned, they are loaners to my department by our Uncle. The powers that be want the happy switches on these to be in a none working capacity. I was thinking the easiest way for this to happen is by replacing the triggers, hammers and selectors but the guy in charge of this ordeal mentioned trigger blocks. i have never heard of that before. What would be the easiest method to turn these A1s into semiauto? Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a semi LPK and take out the sear

Link Posted: 10/9/2009 4:06:04 AM EDT
[#2]
The trigger blocks would be easy, but they aren't that common and might take a little digging to find.  They are a piece of flat sheet metal that is installed under the pistol grip and they block the selector from being put in the full-boogie position.  Swapping out the selectors and disconnectors, while removing the auto sear is probably a better bet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Either install the selector switch limiter (that blocks the switch rotation to vertcial/semi-only) or simply remove the automatic sear, pin, and spring.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
... or simply remove the automatic sear, pin, and spring.

Could that cause unsafe hammer follow if put in the 3rd position by accident?

Link Posted: 10/9/2009 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What would be the easiest method to turn these A1s into semiauto? Thanks...

Only load 1 round in the mag

Link Posted: 10/9/2009 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... or simply remove the automatic sear, pin, and spring.

Could that cause unsafe hammer follow if put in the 3rd position by accident?

Yes.  If it were put into the auto position, there would be nothing to catch the hammer.  When in the auto position, the disconnector is rotated back so that it will not catch the hammer.  With the auto sear in place, it catches the tail that is on the hammer until the bolt carrier trips it, releasing the hammer.  Without the auto sear in place there is nothing to hold it until the bolt is locked in battery.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Alright thanks guys for the advise. I will run our options up the chain and see what happens...
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#9]
...or install semi-only selector switches.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe all you really have to do is put a semi-auto disconnector in. Even when the selector is on auto, the disconnector will still engage the hammer preventing it from falling upon the bolts return to battery. This would be the cheapest way to obtain semi-auto functionality. EDIT You would also need to either take the auto-sear out or put a semi-auto hammer in. Again to stay on the cheap I would simply take the auto sear out. Nevermind... As long as you have a M16 carrier, the auto sear will be tripped upon the bolts return to battery.

It's funny.. I've never really thought about this before.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I believe all you really have to do is put a semi-auto disconnector in.

You're correct.  The absolute minimum to make it reliably semi-auto only is remove the auto sear and install a semi disconnector.  Gun is now 0-1-1 instead of 0-1-A.

Auto hammer, trigger, selector and bolt carrier can stay.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#12]
SInce you asked for easiest and not best - replace F/A Selector with S/A selector.
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I believe all you really have to do is put a semi-auto disconnector in. Even when the selector is on auto, the disconnector will still engage the hammer preventing it from falling upon the bolts return to battery. This would be the cheapest way to obtain semi-auto functionality. EDIT You would also need to either take the auto-sear out or put a semi-auto hammer in. Again to stay on the cheap I would simply take the auto sear out. Nevermind... As long as you have a M16 carrier, the auto sear will be tripped upon the bolts return to battery.

It's funny.. I've never really thought about this before.

If the selector is in S/A the sear is never tripped, as it is rotated out of the way.

Link Posted: 10/10/2009 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
SInce you asked for easiest and not best - replace F/A Selector with S/A selector.

I guess it depends on your point of view. IMHO, replacing the F/A selector with a S/A selector is both the easiest and the best way to accomplish the stated goal. It provides only the two positions, SAFE and SEMI, while leaving the option of returning to selective fire a simple process. The receivers will always be machine guns in the eyes of federal law, so there is no need to swap the other selective fire parts with semiautomatic ones. By swapping the selector only, no pins need to be driven into or out of the receiver.

Karl
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#15]
My A1 was originally part of a large purchase by the Alyeska Pipeline Co. of M16s they bought directly from Colt in the late '70s.  They had only one request of Colt: semi-only selector switches.  So the one I got had never been shot any other way but semi, and with the install of the auto switch it was back to "normal".  Simple.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Easiest way?  No work for you?  Trade me.    I'll give ya a semi auto and you give me a full auto.  Problem solved and you don't have to do anything.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:01:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Easiest way?  No work for you?  Trade me.    I'll give ya a semi auto and you give me a full auto.  Problem solved and you don't have to do anything.

M16's that LE agencies get from the government on the 1033 program are not transferable and they cannot be bought, sold, traded, etc.. They are basically "on loan" from the government.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Put in a semi auto trigger group with selector and remove the auto sear.   We have done this for several departments.

Also when you remove the sear put a small dab of silicone on the inside of the receiver to plug the sear pin hole to keep crap out of the lower.

The silicone can be removed anytime to put the sear back in.

can you just put the pin in and not the sear?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Put in a semi auto trigger group with selector and remove the auto sear.   We have done this for several departments.

Also when you remove the sear put a small dab of silicone on the inside of the receiver to plug the sear pin hole to keep crap out of the lower.

The silicone can be removed anytime to put the sear back in.

can you just put the pin in and not the sear?

Without the sear, there is nothing to keep the pin from falling out.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#21]

This.

When I was the unit armorer for a National Guard unit, all our m16's were A1's and they all had the locking plates installed.  They are cheapo pieces of aluminum and the tab that sticks out to keep the selector from going to auto is easily broken off with a multi-tool (or plastic spoon).

Some of the soldiers who wanted to go full auto in the field would want to remove the locking plate.  I just told them that if they really wanted to dirty up the rifle with blanks that bad, to just break the tab off and I would replace it back at the armory.  Otherwise, they would try to take the plate off themselves and lose the selector detent spring when they removed the pistol grip.  After losing the spring (most didn't even realize it) the selector would just swing around from safe to auto with no tension on it at all.

The locking plate is an expedient option and is endorsed by the government as a fix.  See the following info found on the link below:

http://tri.army.mil/LC/cs/1122/List%20of%20Available%20Weapons.htm

*Note:  Over the past several years, we have had inquiries from a few LEA communities about modifying their M16 Rifles to fire in a semi-automatic mode only.  The TACOM position is, "once an automatic weapon, always an automatic weapon;" we know of no way to permanently modify an M16 Rifle to remove it's burst/auto fire capability.

HOWEVER, there is available within the DLA system a locking plate that mounts between the pistol grip and the lower receiver.  When installed on an M16 Rifle, this plate prevents the M16 Rifle selector from moving to the burst/auto fire position, the selector can only move between the safe and semi positions.  This plate can be installed/removed easily and does not interfere with the storage of M16 Rifles in DoD arms racks.

We believe this locking plate is a vehicle that the LEA community can use to limit M16 Rifle fire capabilities.  The NSN for this plate is 5340-00-233-9031.  NICP is S9I.

If you are interested in this locking plate, please contact the DLA Law Enforcement Support Office at:

Defense Logistics Agency, J-3
ATTN: J-372/LESO (suite 3422)
8725 John J. Kingman Road, STOP 6233
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-6221
Phone Number: 1-800-532-994
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top