Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 7:42:49 PM EDT
Hey all,

I just fired my M1 (SA 1943) for the first time.  She ran like a beaut'.  I only put 16rds. of Danish surplus through 'er.  I want to give the barrel a cleaning and was wondering if my standard "couple of CLP wet patches followed by a couple of dry patches" will do the trick? or at least not hurt her?

Thanks,
BoB
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
got some brass brushes?  

myself, I totally tear down and clean everything then reassemble.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I have a brass brush, I just firgured it's overkill for 16rds of the good stuff.  I don't have the time for a full teardown right now, though I will eventually do it.  I just want to get her shined up.  I really wanted to make sure CLP was OK to use.

BoB
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
a 'bore-snake' works wonders, give one a try!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:11:29 AM EDT
[#4]
usually a rifle shoots better a little dirty-that's the origin of so called fouling shots in the past- after 16 rounds leave it alone it will only shoot better
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
a 'bore-snake' works wonders, give one a try!

After being introduced to the bore snake my husband hardly ever uses a cleaning rod anymore.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Unless you know for certain that your ammo is non-corrosive, then assume it to be corrosive and clean the rifle accordingly.  That means thoroughly cleaning anything and everything that the propellant gases could come in contact with including, but not limited to the bore, bolt face, chamber, gas cylinder and op-rod.

Might not hurt to use a little copper solvent now and then as well.  Since you're necessarily cleaning from the muzzle, a good muzzle guide and coated rod are excellent ideas.  Go to www.jouster.com for M1 cleaning tips and materials.

AFAIK, the Danish surplus is the most reliable from a non-corrosive standpoint, no?

BoB
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#10]
The only Danish ammo I have used was headstamped "91" and I can state that it IS NOT CORROSIVE.

Tim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top