Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2005 6:02:48 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting something that will carry at least 6 ar mags, a pistol, and a couple of other misc. things for under $100.  I'm not really a geardo, I just want something to hang up in my closet ready for use, in the unlikely event I might need it one day if the SHTF (you BoB guys are making me paranoid!)

Anyhow, I came across THIS, and it seems to fit the bill nicely.  Is it a cheaply constructed piece of crap, or is it worth getting?
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
yes I do mods, and it would cost more if you have me remove those pouches
there is room for 2 channels of pals on either side,

REMEMBER this is NOT a carry my friggin wheelbarrow type rig that several folks here are prone to liking, it is a very lightweight rig designed to hold 8 AR mags and 4 x beretta mags
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]
But I'm using an old wheelbarrow as a ballistic plate.

Now that I know Eggroll does custom work... I might order sumfin...
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#6]
IM sent Eggrolly
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#7]
IM sent Egg!

ETA:Who has this rig? just curious as to when you remove one mag, does the other flop around, or is there some kind of retention for the mag? Looks like bungee corded mag pouches would work great with that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

eggrolly,

I have a question about mods and chest rigs. I'm wondering why chest rigs don't have provisions for supporting trouser riggers belts as do most of the tac vests? One way to carry more *stuff* is with drop leg panels and holsters. The problems is, your trouser waist / riggers belts have to carry all that load. I know HSGI makes a good set of suspenders that can be worn under a chest rig but then you have another set of straps with which to contend.

Do you think it's possible to add four adjustable belt support loops to a chest harness sucn as the TT 2 piece MAV, two in the front and two in the back?

The belt loops on Tac vests are NOT meant to be attached to your trouser rigger's belt. You are supposed to use a seperate pistol/duty belt with a tac vest. What happens if you ever have to remove your vest in a hurry (like if you get shot) and it's attached to your pants? It becomes that much harder and takes that much more time to remove/cut your vest, during which time you might die. Use the HSGI suspenders you mentioned to hold up your riggers belt if it gets too heavy. That's what it was designed for. With training, the extra set of straps become a non-issue. As the moderator of the Training and Tactics forum, I would think that this is obvious.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Tony

Chest Rigs IMO  should NEVER be attached to a seperate belt,

to add to grubbs description, the mag pouch each have elastic band around that pull in fairly taut on a single M4 mag so retention should not be of tantament concern... this rig is definitely oriented to a smaller niche portion of the gear buying population.

run a separate 1st line rig with a pair of HSLD suspenders,...  moutning a subload  on one side a a drop holster on the opposing side.    then wear the chest rig seprately.

Another option is the Specter Gear chest rig,   like the PHUTV  it is strictly a Bullets & Mo' bullets rig

Plate carriers... either the EAGLE RRV or the TAG modular plate carrier.

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I DO NOT modify TT gear

run a separate belt.

the HSLD will not be a major issue once properly configured

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I came across a store that had Tactical Tailor MAV stuff in stock, so I just bought that instead.  I wish I had waited for replies from this thread before I bought it.  

I got the single piece MAV body, three mag pouches (3 mags/pouch), and the large utility pouch.  It's a real pain in the ass to get in and out of, and in my opinion the 3-mag pouches stick out too far and flop around too much.  Without the padded shoulder straps, it really digs in to my neck/shoulders, and the plastic brace holding the back of the straps is free-floating and slides to an akward position when I try to get my arms through the loops.

With a little bit of experimentation, I realized that adjusting the straps so that the rig sits high helped to eliminate some of the "floppyness", but not all of it.

From my limited experience, I would recommend the 2x mag pouches over the 3x mag pouches.  I don't really think the large utility pouch is of much use to me - it seemed to me that it would be a good pouch for holding a few empties, like a mini-dump pouch, so I bought one.

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Check out this thread for a neat (and simple) mod to the Eagle Chest rig:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=10&t=185654

In addition to the bungee pulls, I shortened the Right side pocket to match the others. I can now field up to 10 mags in the rig.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
In addition to the bungee pulls, I shortened the Right side pocket to match the others. I can now field up to 10 mags in the rig.

I saw your bungee mod, didn't notice the shortened pocket on the right side.  How did you do that, just fold the bottom up inside and stitch it down or did you undo the seams and re-sew the whole thing?  
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 2:44:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Slim

I shortened the pocket after the bungee mod, so it doesn't show up in the pics on the other thread. I took the pocket off the vest, cut it from the top, then sewed it back on. Now it looks just like the other pockets. I'm trying to decide if I should shorten the left side pocket or not.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

FYI I never claimed to be a MOLLE/PALS expert and that's why I asked. From ideas are borne experiments, from experimentation we get useful products.

Regarding removing the rig if shot, I don't think quick release buckles on the suspension loops would  take that long to disengage. More to the point, what do you do in such a situation with the one piece rigs? I do know from reading threads on this board that the biggest complaint about them (one piece rigs) is that they are a PITA to get them on and so it seems they'd be just as difficult to remove.

Belt loops have nothing to do with PALS/MOLLE webbing. I won't bother explaining the differences between belt loops and PALS/MOLLE because there are more than enough explanations about PALS/MOLLE on the internet already.

With Tactics and Training, the removal of 1-piece chest rigs again becomes a non-issue. I have 1 2-piece MAV and 3 other 1-piece chest rigs, and I can get in and out of them without any problems what-so-ever. I can do this because I practice and I train with my gear. Try reading what people have to say about 1- and 2-piece chest rigs on other boards, too. You might be surprised to find that there are probably just as many people that use and prefer 1-pieces as 2-pieces.

If you added belt loops to a 2-piece MAV, it would no longer be a "chest" rig, but a "belly" rig (for lack of a better term).

I'm sorry, I just find it surprising and ironic that a moderator in the Tactics and Training forum can't do a bit of research when it comes to gear. It makes me wonder what kind of background you have that makes you think you deserve to have that kind of responsibility.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI I never claimed to be a MOLLE/PALS expert and that's why I asked. From ideas are borne experiments, from experimentation we get useful products.

Regarding removing the rig if shot, I don't think quick release buckles on the suspension loops would  take that long to disengage. More to the point, what do you do in such a situation with the one piece rigs? I do know from reading threads on this board that the biggest complaint about them (one piece rigs) is that they are a PITA to get them on and so it seems they'd be just as difficult to remove.

Belt loops have nothing to do with PALS/MOLLE webbing. I won't bother explaining the differences between belt loops and PALS/MOLLE because there are more than enough explanations about PALS/MOLLE on the internet already.

With Tactics and Training, the removal of 1-piece chest rigs again becomes a non-issue. I have 1 2-piece MAV and 3 other 1-piece chest rigs, and I can get in and out of them without any problems what-so-ever. I can do this because I practice and I train with my gear. Try reading what people have to say about 1- and 2-piece chest rigs on other boards, too. You might be surprised to find that there are probably just as many people that use and prefer 1-pieces as 2-pieces.

If you added belt loops to a 2-piece MAV, it would no longer be a "chest" rig, but a "belly" rig (for lack of a better term).

I'm sorry, I just find it surprising and ironic that a moderator in the Tactics and Training forum can't do a bit of research when it comes to gear. It makes me wonder what kind of background you have that makes you think you deserve to have that kind of responsibility.

I would appreciate it if you would not start a war on my thread.  I should have started another thread about my MAV purchase.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would appreciate it if you would not start a war on my thread.  I should have started another thread about my MAV purchase.

Please, start a thread about the MAV, as I am thinking of getting one as I type this.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#24]
How well would this rig work for a three day carbine course? It's the only chest rig in my price range.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Topgun,

I've used similar rigs at carbine courses, they work great. They allow you to keep plenty of full mags on you so you don't have to go back and load mags as often.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top