Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 1:45:10 PM EDT
I'm currently doing some checking on a new duty vest. The Eagle Ciras is one of the best that I have come across. I have several questions regarding this vest. 1) What is the difference between the Land and the Maritime versions. The only differences that I see are the way the webbing is set-up for Molle pouches. 2) Is anyone using this vest with the PPI Ciras insert NIJ IIIA and the CPC plates. 3) Can anyone explain the high cost ($520) for the vest carrier. 4) How is the fit, how much does the vest way with both the soft inserts and the plates (before pouches are added). If I decide to go with this rig this is how I plan to set it up. Questions, comments, rebuttal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]

I would highly recommend checking out www.lightfighter.net.  Do a search for Eagle CIRAS.  All of your questions have been answered there, and then some.

If you don't find the answers you are looking for, IM or e-mail me.

Thanks,
Bigfeet
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Why is the Eagle CIRAS so expensive???  Where as you can find this....

From Eagle Industries for only $200.

Is the CIRAS made of gold? or does it just have some amazing feature i can't seem to see?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd really like someone to answer these questions as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You get what you pay for basically. You can buy a $150 plate carrier, but you will end up buying a better carrier down the road. " Buy cheap, Buy twice "

Eagle is coming out with a NON-releasible version of the CIRAS geared toward LE which will be significantly less money. They are going to be released in Black and Ranger Green initially. I recommend going to the source, as Eagle gives a great LE discount.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The prices I saw were from www.skdtac.com/ . The vest: $520,  PPI Cirus Inserts IIIA: $750, and CPC plate package IV $450.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
PT-

The only difference between the Land and Maritime are the way they are secured and the placement of the pull pillow.   First, the Land is secured via two long external cummerbunds which secure in the front of the vest and covered via the front flap.  The martime is secured via two short external cummerbunds on both sides slightly under the arm pits.  I went with the Land 'cuz I figure it be much easier to secure by yourself, which I happen to find so.    Secondly, the Lands pull is located on both the front center bottom and either right or left side front.  It is recommended that you place the pillow on your non-shooting side.  On the maritime, the pull is located right under the neck area.

I don't have any experience with the PPI Balcs panels, but if they're anything like their concealable line it should be GTG.   I'm running mines with Protech Stealths IIIa along with CPC ICWs.   I was running the rig with the plates only for a while, and when I finally got the soft armor, boy, does it make a world of a difference.     I can't tell you how much mines weighs, but it's definitely something I'm gonna have to get used to with my small load-out.   I was also thinking about trying out the PPI stuff, let me know what you think of it if you get it.

As far as the high-cost, you know what they say right, "buy once, cry once."  I don't have much experiences with other rigs, but the CIRAS is IMO damn near perfection!  It fits really good and is very comfortable due to the internal and external cummerbunds.    When I got mines, this was all they had, but as NickDrak stated Eagle is coming out with their new LE CIRAS, the NON-releasable version is way inexpensive at around $380-ish.   But, it's based on the Maritime platform if it matters to you.  

Feel free to IM or email me if you got any more questions.  Hope this helps.  

here's a pic of the Land.  Noticed the 2 external cummerbunds secured in the front, with the front flap raised above it.

here's a pic of my current set-up

ETA PICS
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The prices I saw were from www.skdtac.com/ . The vest: $520,  PPI Cirus Inserts IIIA: $750, and CPC plate package IV $450.  

+1 BIG ONE for Joe at SKD!!

Great guy to deal with!  Only problem is he keeps taking all my money.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]

TakeDown

I still don't get it.....

Eagle Industries makes 2 vests, both with cumberbuns that look almost identical.  I know the CIRAS is better but I still don't get the difference in price.  That other one I posted the pic of still looks pretty damn nice.

Their made by the SAME company so I don't get what I'm paying more for???
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

TakeDown

I still don't get it.....

Eagle Industries makes 2 vests, both with cumberbuns that look almost identical.  I know the CIRAS is better but I still don't get the difference in price.  That other one I posted the pic of still looks pretty damn nice.

Their made by the SAME company so I don't get what I'm paying more for???

D-

Don't get me wrong, the Eagle PC w/ CB is also an Excellent Rig!  But it doesn't do two things the CIRAS does:  1) the CIRAS is releasable, meaning you pull on the ER and the whole rig will just fall apart.  Sure, I don't need that option but it came with it.  And 2) the CIRAS excepts soft armor.  The PC w/CB is only a plate carrier designed to hold plates.  Granted, I've seen some guys pack some soft armor cuts behind them.  With the CIRAS you have more coverage, meaning with the soft armor in them you'll have more protection than the PC w/CB can provide.   I had the PC w/CB and it is an awesome rig, esp. for the price.  You will not go wrong at all with that.   Hey, we should be happy that Eagle has so much good stuff to offer.   IMHO I think a lot of the costs involved with the CIRAS versus the PC w/CB and the new LE CIRAS is the fact that it's releasable.  Now that Eagle is coming out with the new CIRAS I think a lot of people will be jumping on that.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Takedown

Eagle Industries proudly presents its new plate carrier system with cummerbund. The PC-W/C features both comfort and durability in a modular system. The carrier easily integrates with the CMS-RRS-V and can support both soft armor and ballistic plates. The new contoured cut allows for ease of movement and maximum space for pouch attachment. Constructed of 1000 Denier Cordura® fabric with SecureTac™ stitching the PC-W/C will stand up to the toughest operation.

Now i'm not saying your wrong, well actually yes I am.....just kidding...... I emailed OPTactical, where I was going to purchase it from, and they said that it did hold both.  But,  Someone else In a different post said like you, that it only holds SAPI plates.  I'm starting to get really confused, but even if it only holds plates, for only $180 from OPTactical, its not a bad deal.

I do like your CIRAS but i'm not really interested in spending that kinda money when I can find something for a lower price that will do ALMOST the same.  I really just wanna replace my 3 peice system, and if that means knocking it down to 2 then that makes me a bit happier

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Now i'm not saying your wrong, well actually yes I am.....just kidding...... I emailed OPTactical, where I was going to purchase it from, and they said that it did hold both.  But,  Someone else In a different post said like you, that it only holds SAPI plates.  I'm starting to get really confused, but even if it only holds plates, for only $180 from OPTactical, its not a bad deal.

I do like your CIRAS but i'm not really interested in spending that kinda money when I can find something for a lower price that will do ALMOST the same.  I really just wanna replace my 3 peice system, and if that means knocking it down to 2 then that makes me a bit happier

The difference is in side protection. CIRAS takes BALCS cut soft armor which means that you have Kevlar on the sides capable of stopping fragmentation and pistol caliber weapons where the cumberbund is.

You can put both soft armor and plates in an Eagle PC; but it doesn't really do much since they overlap the same area and the plates block anything that the soft armor would stop. However, your sides are covered by nothing more than nylon.

If you anticipate an environment with explosives/fragmentation and/or side shots with pistol caliber weapons, the CIRAS is clearly superior due to extra coverage area from fragmentation. If you anticipate an environment where people are shooting at you with rifles; but no frag, then the Eagle PC does the same thing for less money and weight.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#14]
its comparing apples and oranges

Increased range of motion at the expense of lesser protection area, increase your protective area and become a truculent turtle.

the cost of both platforms are wholly in line with what needs to be charged.

Dont confuse Quick Release with immediate doffing.. they ARE distinct, the pullhandles are for immediate disassembly of the vest for extrication/confined spaces/aircraft escape.

LEO?  is there a need to carry MORE than 2-3 M4 mags on the average?

Civ? same question applies.

think about it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#15]
are you talking contoured softarmor panels that fit right behind the plates as spalling/blunt force protection?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Would you know when the non-releasable CIRAS (guess you can't really call that, can you? ) will be released to teh public and the price?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#17]
TakeDown & Triad,

Thanks for the replies. The pictures you (TD) attached were a big help along with the detailed explanations. I'm currently comparing the CIRAS with a some what similar model from Paraclete. Both are expensive but both are very well built and provide features that I'm looking for. I would say the Eagle CIRAS appears to be a bit nicer. A member of my team currently uses a Paraclete and has been very satisfied with his vest. I'm leaning slightly towards the CIRAS. If anyone else is currently running this rig please attach pictures, as many as possible of all angles - inside and out. Would be much appreciated! Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#18]
TakeDown....nice set-up on your rig!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Triad,

I checked out your site. If possible can you provide pictures of the CIRAS in OD and Ranger Green. If so could you place them next to each other. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
one distinct advantage is the single point disassembly of the CIRAs vice the RAV from paraclete.

easier to reassemble + plus the more secure front cummerbund setup of the CIRAS.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#21]
one distinct advantage is the single point disassembly of the CIRAs vice the RAV from paraclete.

easier to reassemble + plus the more secure front cummerbund setup of the CIRAS.

Eggrolly,

I agree. That was one thing that I noticed. I have had time to inspect the Paraclete vest as compared to only looking at pictures of Ciras. It is sometimes difficult to judge a vest based on very limited amount of pictures. Hopefully others will attach there pics.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's a link that shows the new Eagle NON-releasable LE CIRAS that I a talking about:

Eagle NON-Releasable LE CIRAS
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
TakeDown....nice set-up on your rig!

Thanks Bro!  

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Im running a CB Eagle plate carrier w/cbund with plates and soft inserts with no problem.  I added some IIIa soft armor inserts to my cbund side pockets and they work like a charm.  No movement restrictions and they stay in place pretty well.  Just my 2 cents.    
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top