Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2008 3:10:23 PM EDT
Is there anything else that is a close substitute to the Duracoat reducer?

Steve
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used paint thinner in the past seeming as Duracoat is just Sherman Williams paint anyways.

I have actually made my own Duracoat with the same results.  Gonna make another batch in the next few days.

-TS
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Quoted:
I have used paint thinner in the past seeming as Duracoat is just Sherman Williams paint anyways.

I have actually made my own Duracoat with the same results.  Gonna make another batch in the next few days.

-TS

Please explain how you make duracoat!

Link Posted: 7/1/2008 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Please do.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to hear an answer to both these questions
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be VERY surprised if he answers that question. I've seen other people post similar things on here, and then drop or change their post. Having been threatened with lawsuits...
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd be VERY surprised if he answers that question. I've seen other people post similar things on here, and then drop or change their post. Having been threatened with lawsuits...

Who threatened lawsuits and why?
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried using paint thinner for cleaning up Duracoat and it turned the paint clumpy....  

Link Posted: 7/2/2008 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
You can clean with lacquer thinner but I wouldn't thin DuraCoat with anything other than the DuraCoat thinner.  I don't think its just S-W paint...
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who threatened lawsuits and why?

I asked that very same question. The guys sent me emails and all they said was "I had to retract what I said, and I can't say anymore (lawsuit threatened)". Wouldn't even answer me back when I asked more questions...

Since then I don't ask a LOT of questions about it. Not afraid, just like to keep my head below the radar. ..........................................................................
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Duracoat is almost the same thing as another SW product but it's far from the paint on your living room walls.

DC is patented.  Maybe that's why you shouldn't be duplicating it or giving out recipes.

You are free to take hardware store paint and mix in fiberglass resin until your little heart is content but don't call it DC.  That would be far from fair.

Read the MSDS on the thinner if you want to make your own.  It's like 90% lacquer thinner and 5% acetone and some other lubes IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm gonna let you guys on to a very good thing here....

I've posted it before, but very subtle....

Lauer did a fantastic job in marketing a product that is actually a Sherwin Williams product.....

It is called Polane, & is available through SW chemical coatings division & can most likely be orederd at your local SW retail outlet.....

Polane uses a specific reducer, do not substiute with anything else.....It was formulated to work together.....

Here is the really cool thing....Get one of those huge ass color swatches from SW,,,,then you can order any of those colors as Polane.....But you have to buy it by the gallon.....then you'll need to reduce the polane with the reducer by 40-50 %....or until you get the desired ratio for your spray set-up....

So one gallon makes damn near 2........I have bought 4 gallons of polane

PINK
BLACK
OD GREEN
WHITE

None of them are half gone yet!!!!!

The reducer is by the gallon too & pretty cheap like $14-19 a gallon & mixed in a container with some MEK & denatured alcohol, works great for cleaning up your tools
I use the reducer for final wipe down prior to spraying......

follow this link to read up, then compare to duracoats description

www.designoctaves.com/pdfs/sherwin.pdf

Hope this helps everyone out........

Also I am going to start selling my digital patterns & some others (MULTICAM-WOODLAND-TIGER STRIPE-AFGHAN-ETC) in the same price range as the bulldog. plus i have all the decals that can be made into stencils for your application.......The vinyl is actual lo-tack painters mask, and actually sticks a little better than Lauers Blue stuff

If anyone has questions, feel free to IM or email me, as I have been doing this for awhile & more than happy to help out if I know the answer.......
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]
OUTSTANDING!

You and I my friend should talk sometime...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered about $250.00 in duracoat If I would have read this sooner I would have gotten a whole heck of a lot more product for my money, which means more firearms to refinish
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#14]
stang1 has done some stencils for me.  They're top quality and low cost.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:59:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I think people get all wrapped up in the SW thing because when someone mentions "it's just S/W", house paint comes to mind. Just because it's made by a big paint company that is normally in the house painting business, doesn't make it "house paint".
The engine in a HMMWV is made by Cadillac. That doesn't mean it's meant to be driven by pimps and old folks headed to the early bird special for dinner at Denny's.
Some Aux Power Units in Chinooks and probably other aircraft are made by international havester. That doesn't mean it's meant you can hook a cutter up to it and mow a field.
My point is, if you haven't figured it out, "it's just sherman williams paint" only gives a name to the actual manufactuerer, not it's intent, wearablitiy, or anything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top