Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2013 8:13:45 AM EDT
Hello all, I have some questions about using the Duracoat shake n spray kits.

1st question: I have a Spikes complete upper that I want to duracoat, but I do not want to take to barrel off. I am going to take the gas tube, ejection post cover, & forward assist off and spray them separately ( minus the gas tube ) I just don't know if the pre treatment spray / cleaner will find it's way into the barrel nut area, & effect the anti seize grease. My worries would be that it might compromise the grease's function.

Which leads me to another question: Should I use a break cleaner instead of the cleaner the Shake n spray kit come with? Some people have told me its much better at the de-greasing / cleaning process. If so, any brand of break cleaner that can be recommended?  I know break cleaner can be very strong & powerful, and can eat some plastics. I would also be worried about this stuff compromising the the anti seize grease's function.

The complete disassembly of the AR upper is not really a problem for me skill wise, I just don't want to take it apart if I don't really have to. Spikes put it together, I trust their build abilities, don't want to mess with a warranty that could be lost if I removed the barrel if ever there was an issue down the road.

And then, this would go with question #1: I am also thinking of dura coating a FAL rifle. I definitely DO NOT have the experience or capabilities to remove the barrel on this rifle at all. I would strip this down as far as I could & spray it. Same worries about compromising any ( any at all used. CIA build ) anti-size grease.  (  I know redundant question ) .

Another question is:  I will be using all Tactical colors from Duracoat. Do I need to spray over the finished color(s) with any of their clear coats? Or can the Tactical colors hold up on their own?

Thanks for your time & help.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I can answer two questions. I sprayed mine without forearm, gas tube, etc and never noticed any issues with the cleaner they offer. I did not clear coat mine but I guess to each is own. I hunt a lot with my rifle and it gets banged around a lot and have noticed some places where the paint has chipped. Mag well, flash hider mostly.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can answer two questions. I sprayed mine without forearm, gas tube, etc and never noticed any issues with the cleaner they offer. I did not clear coat mine but I guess to each is own. I hunt a lot with my rifle and it gets banged around a lot and have noticed some places where the paint has chipped. Mag well, flash hider mostly.
View Quote

Thanks for your reply.
After thinking it over, i think to do the job right, i should completely dissaseble the gun. So, i think the fal will get a rattle can job, & the spikes will maybe get pulled completely apart.
Im just really courious about these duracoat spray kits. Seem really easy.

I do have a upper that i have not put together yet, this one should be the sacrificial lamb i guess.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#3]
If you tape up the areas really good you shouldn't have any problems.  I did a barrel that was still attached and it turned out great.

I strongly urge you to only follow the directions and supplied components.  I've heard of several instances where people did it there way and the paint job didn't turn out right.  

I've duracoated a half woven guns so far and a deer skull and they all turned out great.  Its easy to do as long as you follow the directions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top