Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:09:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:28:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 10:47:31 AM EDT by Wave]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:44:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:21:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:34:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wave:
Thanks!

3rd Question - Can my Century R1A1 have a Flash Hider in New York State or am I stuck with a Muzzle Brake?

Can anyone suggest a decent brake?

No FHs allowed in NY, Wave - you have to either have a brake, bare, unthreaded muzzle - or like I did, and go with a "fake FH"... The FSE fakes look just like an actual Imbel combo device(FH), only the vent holes don't go all the way through, and the OD is slightly larger, so that you can't use them with RPGs... Also, the fakes - or a brake, for that matter - have to be either welded, blind pinned, or silver soldered(with 1100F + solder) to the barrel to be NY legal... Basically, in NY we're looking at the old Federal AWB, with NO sunset clause - thanks, liberal democrats...

Now, as for the FSE fakes - I've picked up a few "take-offs" from people in "free states" that no longer need them for about $10 - and I can send you enough of the proper silver solder paste to do a barrel or 2, should you decide to go that route - you'd just need a map gas torch, or oxy/acetylene to melt it... Let me know if I can be of help...

- georgestrings(fellow subject of PRNY)
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:47:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wave:
Is the barrel threaded underneath the Century brake? I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to "carefully remove it" and install something else myself right?

If it was made before the sunset of the AWB, it's most likely welded, blind pinned, or silver soldered on... I'd say that if you can't find a weld or blind pin, it's most likely silver soldered on - in that case, you'll have to heat up the brake with either mapp gas, or oxy/acetylene 'til it's glowing red, then unthread it... Usually those devices have a lefthand thread, BTW...

As for brakes, I've seen people get good results with the DSA brake, and the Entreprise zero climb - but I wouldn't use either, honestly... A brake is LOUD AS HELL, and will not endear you to those sitting next to you on the rifle range - and are completely unnecessary for a gas operated semi-auto .308, IMO - recoil is quite mild on them to begin with... The brake on the Centurys has been known to cause "cheek slap" - due to it's poor design - and actually make felt recoil *seem* worse than with a bare muzzle...

I would recommend a "fake" combo device like the one made by FSE - looks like the original combo devices, but is NY AWB legal(once properly attached) - they can still be had fairly cheap... Also, be aware that those came in both LH and RH threads... Good luck, and let me know if I can be of help...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:14:16 AM EDT
Top Top