Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2018 7:54:25 PM EDT
I picked up a used older BP rifle.  It came with a pound or so of older powder.  Some in a can and some in some tubes.  It all looks like it came from the 80's or 90's.  I think I should try to dry it out before using it.

So, what is the best way to do that?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put it in a container with some rice in a mesh bag, or get fancy and set some dessicant next to it.  Set it in a sunny window.

Or just shoot it if it's not lumpy and wringing wet.
View Quote
I will try drying it with rice.

I have never actually used BP before in a muzzle loader.  I want to avoid any issues.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Test it.

Place a small amount(about 1/2teaspoon) out on an open surface.
If done on an open surface there will be no sound. Just a whoosh and smoke.
Touch it off using a long rod or twig.
If it goes poof you’re good to go
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the tips.  It is real BP.  It has been stored a couple of different ways in an ammo can.  I want to make sure it is dry before pouring it down a barrel.

If it ever quits raining here, I will test a little out side, see if it lights up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Friend of mine gave me his powder horn + a can of Goex FFFg that was dated 1985. It's shoots just fine.
I'm sure yours will do the same. No need to dry it out.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for this I was just given a gun with what is probably 25 year old powder
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone needs a thundermug.

1. Load suspect powder into mug.
2. Prime pan.
3. Apply slowmatch.

If 'pbbfffttt' powder is bad.

If BOOM powder is good.

The boomier the better!

Repeat as necessary to activate all car alarms in the neighborhood . . .

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:23:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Black powder doesn't absorb moisure unless it is actually submerged in water.  There's no need to worry unless an open can was left out in the rain.  Black powder fouling on the other hand does absorb moisture from the air.  You are worrying for nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top