Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 5:16:06 PM EDT
We've all seen the little crank driven, pod mounted pair of 10/22's that rip though .22 long rifle like a machine gun...  why hasn't anyone anyone done this with a pair of postban AR's?
 You'd need a pair of flat top AR's held together at a 45 degree angle by a properly machined weaver rail type clamp, possibly with quick disconnects. Some type of mount and a crank operated trigger camming mechanism, too.

The only problem I can forsee is that the rifle on the left would be spitting rounds down into the mount/cam area, but a brass deflector could be easily applied.  I've seen some of the cannons the home machinists out there have made, compared to that this should be cake!

Think about it... I dunno how useful the thing would be, but it'd fun as hell out at the range with a couple of Beta-C's strapped to it. WooHoo!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure DPMS makes a "lefty" version of it's AR's, with "lefty" spare parts too...

Just stick a Left hand AR and a Right hand AR together and, PRESTO...
One ejects left, the other to the right...
Problem solved...
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking something that you didn't have to dedicate 2 AR's to... you could just pop them on when you felt killing an a$$load of ammo.  Buying a left-only would work better I think, but would be rather expensive.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
there is a guy that hits the shows here in bama that has made them. He also builds them on m1 carbines and says he is working on an ak type version. He usually has a couple for sale on his tables.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
i have toyed around with the idea for a while.  a left and right mounted side buy side. need an ambedixrious mag release on the left and a ambi saftey on teh right.  i want to  take the stocks off and make a spade grip that runs an electric cam.  nothing would be perminant.  all bolt together.  two flattops conected with a dual weaver rail.  this would be soo much fun!  any clue on the leagality of an electric motor driving the cam.  it still would be "one pull one shot" of the actual triggers. the leafty would be the investment though.  but then i would have a left hand ar15 i can shoot without wearing my prescription glasses.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
My second cousin did this with SKS's....which promptly resulted in the sheriff showing up due to a call about "automatic rifle fire".  Sheriff thought it was cool, but asked him politely to lay off.  His was a hand crank version, think it says somewhere you have to "manualy" manipulate the trigger.  Electric would be fun as hell though.  Not real sure on the manual manipulation though, anybody else know for sure?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]

i want to take the stocks off and make a spade grip that runs an electric cam.

Hold on there .... the electric idea makes it a machine gun .. IIRC.  I believe the hand crank as far as you can go before getting the BATF in your knickers.

Ryan
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
electric would be an illegal post ban machine gun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

i want to take the stocks off and make a spade grip that runs an electric cam.

Hold on there .... the electric idea makes it a machine gun .. IIRC.  I believe the hand crank as far as you can go before getting the BATF in your knickers.

Ryan

The electric motor driven crank would be ideal, but since that's illegal the hand crank would have to do.  Besides, depending on how you geared the thing you could probably get a really high rate of fire with just the hand crank.  ROF could also be varied by timing the cams so that they actuated the triggers either simultaineously or sequentially.  I wish I were a machinist!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top