Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2002 3:29:58 PM EDT
I have posted this question on my regular  hunting board a couple of times and each time I am told to post on this site so here it goes.This is my problem. I want to purches a Bushmaster for varmint hunting. The local stores don't carry many AR style rifles so I decided to order one. I don't know if I should get a 16 or 20 inch bbl. Most shots will be under 250 yards. I do not reload my shells I will use factory ammo. I am between the A3 shorty carbine and the Match Target A3. I will mount a 3-9 scope on it. I like the size of the carbine but don't know if it is accurate. A local saleman said he owns one and can shot clay targets at 200 yards with no problem. Is he blowing smoke or are the rifles that accurate. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
the difference between the 2 bushy you stated is the milled front site and handguard is free floating on the vmatch which is suppose to give increased accuracy.they both have the same barrels .I would go with the 20" vmatch for varmiting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Carbines are pretty darn accurate, especially out to 250 yards, and even more so if you plan on mounting a scope (which would only benefit you in IDing the varmint you're going to cap anyway).  For your stated purpose, I would recommend the Bushmaster XM15 E2S V Match Carbine (if you must have a carbine).  All the virtues of an accurate varmint rifle in a carbine platform.  BM makes the longer version of this, too.  Basically, the possibilities are ENDLESS with the AR15 weapon platform...extremely versatile and adaptible to almost ANY circumstance.  I guess it comes down to your personal preference.  Good luck with whatever you choose.  Take comfort, though, in choosing Bushmaster; they are among the best (A,B,C,s)

Edited 'cause I can't spell...

Cloak-
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
either the 20" or 16" Vmatch would suite your purposes. The barell length is up to you. You will not find much difference in accuracy between the 16" and the 20". Personally I would go for the 16". And that saleman that said he shoot clay targets at 200 probably was telling the truth.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're using a scope the barrel length matters less.  With iron sights the extra sight radius of the 20" barrel could make some difference.  Bushmasters are pretty good rifles, so you can't go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a new Bushy postban 16" shorty, no floating barrel, no scope.  These are the results of my first day out with it.

100 yards, 1 square=1 inch

I hope that picture worked...  The center shots I was still sighting in, started shooting black when I was happy with it.

That shot on the lower left... well... nobody's perfect right?  I don't know what that was... flinched I guess.

Anyway... I can't complain about the accuracy of any Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Of course, here's how he shot the next day, after sobering up, from 25 yards.

Aw, just kiddin'

Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#7]
One of each.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Of course, here's how he shot the next day, after sobering up, from 25 yards.

Aw, just kiddin'

Hey Marvl,  How'd you do that?  What program?  Funny.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Geez, whatta problem!
As long as you're ordering the gun, and Bushmaster is building it, you're in fat city.

You like the carbine size and want rifle performance.  The extra (normal) length of a 20" bbl. is technically a carbine anyway, so, why not get it?

A3 V-MATCH with front sight on it.
A2 sight handle.
Fluted bbl./clean-no muzzle brake.
TeleStyle buttstock.
swivel stud mounted for bipod attachment.

Lighter weight like a 16".
Better longer range accuracy with the 20" bbl.
"mean" black rifle look with the lighter buttstock.
"big" rifle look with the sight handle attached (not to mention the full sight radius).
Option to taste...

If you must have a "little" carbine, may I suggest the Dissipator in a similarly seasoned package?

Just an idea.
Have fun shopping.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy one of each :)
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Shadowblade,

Saved the jpg (right click on image and select "save as").  Then I used a pic/photo editing program called Picture Publisher.  As you could see, I didn't have much useful to do last night.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:14:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats easy buy them all!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the repies and pics. This helps a lot.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I had a new Bushy postban 16" shorty, no floating barrel, no scope.  These are the results of my first day out with it.

100 yards, 1 square=1 inch

I hope that picture worked...  The center shots I was still sighting in, started shooting black when I was happy with it.

That shot on the lower left... well... nobody's perfect right?  I don't know what that was... flinched I guess.

Anyway... I can't complain about the accuracy of any Bushmaster.

Shadowblade,
Iron sights at 100yds?  Nice shootin!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#15]
A better/cheaper answer would be buy one complete rifle then get another upper
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I would like to ask the question "Which Armalite to buy?"  I intend to use my new rifle much like Targetdot does.  Can someone give me an idea how much the Bushmaster costs compared to the Armalite?  Is Armalite a good option? I can tell alot of guys like the Bushies.  I live only 20 miles from Armalite though, am thinking staying local might be smart.  Thanks guys, this site is excellent and I think I officially have the AR bug... clint.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Shadowblade,
Iron sights at 100yds?  Nice shootin!

Thanks Boom.  There is a reason I kept that target, I doubt I could repeat it without optics.

SB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top