Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/24/2006 2:46:50 PM EST
OK, i've done the searching and can't find the answer...so now im asking!!!

I want to start a HD shotgun. Im going the untraditional route and instead of looking for mag extensions to match the length of my barrel, i am looking to cut down my barrel to match the length of the existing mag chamber on my 870.

So what form do i need to obtain to do this legally?
Is there a limit to the length i can cut down to?
How much is the stamp or tax or whatever?
Can i get the barrel threaded to accept a choke?...or is that even a good idea?

I think thats all the Q's i have for now!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:09:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 3:10:16 PM EST by fla556guy]
If you go less than 18 inches (18 and 1/2 to be safe) you have to make it into a short barreled shotgun (requires you file a form with the ATF and the form be approved.......tax stamp). Also, check your state laws, they may prohibit short barreled shottys all together, so no matter what form you have from ATF, they are still illegal. Go find a dealer that specializes in these types of weapons, and they would be better suited to answer your questions. They will also most likely help you with any filing and other little things.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:01:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:45:30 PM EST
This might help some

There was another cool link that I can't find . It had all the ATF forms in a downloadable format. You might call ATF's forms department and ask them for the forms. They will mail them to you.

Make dang sure you get all the forms filled out and approved before you start! And, yes, the Sherif or police chief, whichever you have will have to approve of you doing this and sign the form, before it is submitted to ATF. So how well do you know the sherif or what do you know of him plays in heavily here.

As far as putting a choke in the barrel, the most common method is to ream it, then use a tap to thread it for the particular brand of screw-in choke tubes you plan to use. It can be done by hand, or with a lathe. If everything has the proper pilot, and you are slow, patient, and careful it can be done by hand. Check Brownell's prices first as the tools do get expensive.

There are also sleaves that can be soldered in to give you a choke. There are other methods, like the Tula or jug choke. I might recommend a gunsmithing course somewhere in this reply, like Thomson in PA.

I have toyed with similar ideas off and on, but usually talk myself out of it. I was even thinking of getting a "manufacturer's"-style FFL. The problem with these licenses, and the NFA stuff if I understand correctly, is that if you move, you have to refile or fill out more forms. You must also investigate if the place you are moving to allows such things or activities, plus get the new LE official to sign your paperwork, if you can.

The moral of the story is investigate the paperwork and see if the chief is friendly or not first.

The other option is to keep an eye on this thread for news
Ya, I know, it's an 18" barrel, but dang it's cool!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:28:46 PM EST
I allways cut mine to 19 inches,took a Rem 11 and cut off the stock(bonnie&clyde special)!

Real nice with 00buck!!

Top Top