Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/8/2004 11:58:03 AM EDT
Does the Gov watch 50 cal buyers?  Maybe I mis-heard something on TV about that some time ago...just wondering if they make manufac. or shippers cough up info, seems like a serious privacy issue.
heories,
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#1]
yes
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
yes

Source?

I've been wondering who that white van across the street belongs to.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
No... but they watch anyone who posts in the 50 CAL DISCUSSION FORUM on Arfcom...

...AWWW...

...CRAP!

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yes

Source?

+1 Hokie are you just kidding or speculating?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
yes

Source?

+1 Hokie are you just kidding or speculating?

Sorry guys, I'm just bullshitting, I haven't the slightest idea, but I'm always one to air on the side of caution.  I also keep a sheet of tin foil in my back pocket, just in case.

I know you have to register your firearm with the gov....so I would think if someone wanted to track it, they could.  Plus, I think (don't know) that the sales of 50's aren't as numerous as other firearms and would yield a significantly smaller and easier cluster of names to track.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I know you have to register your firearm with the gov....so I would think if someone wanted to track it, they could.  Plus, I think (don't know) that the sales of 50's aren't as numerous as other firearms and would yield a significantly smaller and easier cluster of names to track.

what about the 50 ar-15 uppers???
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I know you have to register your firearm with the gov....

the 4473 you mean?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
They don't have much of a way to do it. They don't have access unless the dealer goes out of business, or they are tracing a weapon recovered after a crime. Honestly I think the people in the government with the resources to track weapons like this realize its wasted effort and concentrate on known threats, like fringe groups and terrorists.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They don't have much of a way to do it. They don't have access unless the dealer goes out of business, or they are tracing a weapon recovered after a crime. Honestly I think the people in the government with the resources to track weapons like this realize its wasted effort and concentrate on known threats, like fringe groups and terrorists.

All I know is that there's some federale on the other end of the phone writing down

1) the serial number of the firearm you're purchasing and

2) your name.

Now I agree that the resources aren't there to track everything to everyone.  I guess all I'm saying is that if 'they' wanted to 'they' could!

Not sure about the uppers, but then again, if you pay via credit card......

It's probably not so big an issue, but one never REALLY knows.  I could say with certainty however, that some fed has or will read this post before it gets archived.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
h
I was wondering cause the libs are up in arms about actual 50 rifles - look at Kali - sorry arny but you's joined the land of fruits and nuts...hen

Ah who cares, life's short and we spend more time on the can than we do at the range, i speak for myself of course...so i want a 50 cal...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Well an upper isn't a gun so I'd say no. the last 50 cal upper I bought there was no paperwork of any kind. You're mileage may vary.

Don't worry, but you could always ask first. Use the phone instead of the 'puter(no record). Pay with cash or money orders, buy FTF. Also all of the above goes for buying your ammo and posting on fourms!!!!!!!!

I have a real nice tinfoil hat-sporty!

I'd ask you what brand of upper you are looking for, but you should only answer if you want. That goes for IM also.

Don't forget -"Yeah I bought that upper, shot it 3 times and I couldn't take the recoil and had to sell it to some guy with a sporty tinfoil hat. I don't remember what he looked like. Sorry"

Good luck Bro.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#12]
They have lots more important things to worry about.

Tinfoil a bit tight?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All I know is that there's some federale on the other end of the phone writing down

2) your name.

Now I agree that the resources aren't there to track everything to everyone.  I guess all I'm saying is that if 'they' wanted to 'they' could!

Not sure about the uppers, but then again, if you pay via credit card......

It's probably not so big an issue, but one never REALLY knows.  I could say with certainty however, that some fed has or will read this post before it gets archived.

Last time I bought anything there was no serial number mentioned. Just my personal info, whether it was a long gun or handgun..... Nothing more.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I see your in IL. Don't sweat it, buy it then join the 50's Assoc. (saftey in numbers.)

Tin foil to tight? Not really, the guys in Kali just got it where the sun don't shine and didn't even get kissed. Hellokitty has every right to be concerned- what am I saying! I'm sure Kerry is going to be pro-gun! Buy it before January Kittyman.

It's not tight, it's "sporty."
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

2) your name.

Here in oregon we don't deal with the fed nics at all.    we got our own, which i'm sure would share with the feds if asked.    but it is one more little problem in the overall "tracking" scheme.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Heck, they can watch all they want, shoot it too.

They can also help clean and load ammo for that bugger too.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
No tin foil hat here...just wondering...don't want to be caught behind an hinking.gif

I want to get an ALS...I'm kinda on the light side, but i can take about 100+ rounds of 303brit out of a light No.5 Enfield without a problem.  he after one round.  

thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:19:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm not one to be paranoid, or to base my actions on who might be watching, but...

If they wanted to watch, why would they start at the bottom, sift through millions of gun purchasers, and trace UP? If it's 50's they're interested in, they'd start at the top and go down. Manufacturers, wholesalers, dealers, they all keep records and must open those records for inspection occasionally. Is there a law to prevent the inspecting agent from taking notes?

Seems to me during the Clinton years there was talk of "forward traces" being done on so-called "assault weapons." It was serious talk.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm not one to be paranoid, or to base my actions on who might be watching, but...

If they wanted to watch, why would they start at the bottom, sift through millions of gun purchasers, and trace UP? If it's 50's they're interested in, they'd start at the top and go down. Manufacturers, wholesalers, dealers, they all keep records and must open those records for inspection occasionally. Is there a law to prevent the inspecting agent from taking notes?

Seems to me during the Clinton years there was talk of "forward traces" being done on so-called "assault weapons." It was serious talk.

Why bother with that legwork, just check with the USPO in Utah where they send all the FCSA magazines out of.  
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top