Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 11:38:09 AM EDT
I was practicing with the stipper clips today and it seemed like it would work.  My average time, with the reload, was 50 seconds (+/-).
I mean, it is a MBR, in a good caliber, and the sights are right on.
Mine is one of the Yugoslav ones.  It was born in 1947 but doesn't look that old. Shoots good, too.
Does anyone shoot matches with 'em? I may move into a bolt action this year and was wondering.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You will not see many Mausers (if any) on the highpower range. With the exception of a newbie with no other rifle and just starting out, Mausers make poor highpower rifles.

First off, they are all in the match rifle class. Second, the availabilty of accessories such as sights, etc. are very limited to non existant. About the only time I have seen them shot is at some of those vintage military rifle shoots or one of the CMP "games." Mausers are also a PITA with a long action that is fairly flexible (comparatively speaking) when compared to most modern day bolt guns such as Remingtons, Winchesters and especially the high end bolt guns.

For a "fun" gun to shoot on occasion they are okay, but for serious *competitive* use, they are not advisable unless that is all you have or all you can afford at the time. Putting money into one to *try* and make it competitive is a waste, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have shot a Garand match with a M1903A3. Overall I did ok but I did time out in the standing rapid with one shot left.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot a few matches with an M1903A3, and a lot of members at our highpower club shoot old milsurp bolt actions - BUT most of them use cast bullet loads to increase accuracy and lower recoil.  Most of us have also found a way to put a peep sight on the ladder sight bolt guns, either though an aftermarket or replacing the sight leaf.  We have a 100 yd reduced course, on the NRA highpower course of fire guys can get 450+/500 w/ cast loads and a bolt gun.

ETA to actually answer the question - many of our members do use the Mauser platforms, I have a Turk 38, other guys use K98's...so people  do use them, however the percentage of guys who shoot a Mauser "because they can" instead of it being their only guy is pretty high.  If you are gonna shoot highpower for score it is M1A or AR15 time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Please don't misunderstand me.
I normally shoot my match with a beautiful M-1 IHC (my "Little Tractor").  As all those guys up in Utica can attest to.
And it does good (as good as I can make it do).
Recently, i scored a nice 03A3 from the CMP, and was thinking...

Of course, thats when i get into trouble.  Thinking too much.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, that 03A3 was meant to be shot in a match!! I really enjoy the bolt actions in high power.  I usually imagine it is 1920 or so and I'm shooting a highpower match with my trusty Springfield he

Quoted:
Please don't misunderstand me.
I normally shoot my match with a beautiful M-1 IHC (my "Little Tractor").  As all those guys up in Utica can attest to.
And it does good (as good as I can make it do).
Recently, i scored a nice 03A3 from the CMP, and was thinking...

Of course, thats when i get into trouble.  Thinking too much.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The CMP club I used to belong to did a "Battle of the Bulge Memorial" shoot several years ago at Ft. Indiantown Gap on the pop-up range there.  Most guys had M-1s, a few had Ohio Ordnance M1918A3 semiauto BARs, and I used my 1944 Fazakerly No.4 Mk.I.  It was a lot of fun.

A good No.4 in the hands of a good shot would do well in a high power match.  They are a lot more accurate than most people realize, and the action is smoother than any Mauser derivative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top