Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2001 2:01:19 PM EDT
I was wondering what other gun heads think of Freds articals in Shot Gun News. And does anyone read SGN'on a regular basis and what do you thing of it?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
"Fred" likes to refer to anyone who shoots anything other than an M1A as a "lesser being".
Since I lean towards AR's, FAL's, AK's, Garands and assorted bolt action service rifles I am sure that he would prefer it if "lesser beings" such as myself did not even read his words of godlike wisdom.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah, I read it.  I also read the sunday comics.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I preefers the comics. Got pretty pitchers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think Fred really cares what you shoot,The whole idea of his articles is to get people up off their asses and go to the range,Nothing worse than someone having a fine rifle like a AR,FAL,M-14,Etc, and not know how to shoot it, maintain it, or even simple shit like put the saftey on,Sadly, there's a lot of people out there like that,and in a SHTF situation, they're going to be the first ones killed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Well Fred, just like all of us, has his preference of rifle. His happens to be the M1A. And yes, he is pretty adament about it. Hell, it's obvious that he, like lots of other people here, enjoys the banter back and forth about which one is better. Hence why he puts in letter of those who disagree with him.

However, if you've ACTUALLY read much of what he has to say, it is basicly a message to get off your ass and get proficient with whatever rifle you choose.

I'm sorry, but know matter how cocky he can be about the .308 (and yes he has good things to say about the FAL), his overall message is a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, his rifle is a very good rifle. I can't think of anything bad to say about it, except it's kinda heavy and big, but it will do just about anything you want. I think he is spot-on about engaging at long distances, that's certainly what you would want to start with if the SHTF. The farther the better. Close up work would be more towards the tail in or for getting out of Dodge to begin with.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Regarding the M-16/Ar-15:

Cooper said it all a long time ago:

"Poodle Shooter"....
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I read Freds rants from time to time.  Last one I read he was telling everyone to take a newby shooting and get them hooked.  Can't argue with that if you want to aid in the battle for the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I think part of the reason he rips on the other guns is to get guys out shooting those other guns.

I totally support his effort and just ordered three new wood stocks I don't really need from him.

If he is so against AR's, why does he sell equipment and manuals for them?

And for Garands and other firearms.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 3:32:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:07:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Fred isn't right. He is a true nut job, but that being said I enjoy his articles. He puts his thoughts down on paper for everyone who cares about their freedom and the constriction our government uses against it. I believe a lot of what he has to say, even though he seems to go off the deep end some times. Don't think for a minute what he says about the government coming to take your arms away and repeating history can't or won't happen. It's already happening today in some states. He supplies those who are willing to fight the day that will come with the knowledge and ability training we will need.
He wants everyone to have 7.62 NATO so you can pick off your enemy at 500-yard while your enemy will not be able to engage you until 300-yard range. That weapon of choice is the M14.
He once said if you are not practicing to be proficient with your M1A you might as well take it and through it across the basement floor, because when "they" come to get it that is what “they” will do if you are not proficient with it. A bit extreme I think.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't always agree with Fred, But that's what America is about.
I perfer AR's I can shoot more, & have become a much better shooter since I quit the 30's.
I can't think of anyone that would want to stand in front of the poodle.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I have to agree. I don't find Cooper that enlightening myself. It wouldn't bother me in the least if they dropped him from the pages of G&A.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top