Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 7:45:22 PM EDT
No stock, short barrel. Haven't seen one, but don't see why this would not be legal as long as it could not accept a shoulder stock.

Like the original designer, John Thompson is holding here, except without the VFG and in semi-auto:

John Thompson, 1921. (George Goll)

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
the 1927a5 was  made with no provision for a stock and a 13" barrel .

www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2500/2523.htm

Auto Ord West Hurley production of the 1927a5 was crushed by the 1994 ban. Khar nown owns A.O. and could theoreticly produce another one.

They look cool but thats it. Aluminum grip frame and legendary ( sarcasm) A.O thompson reliabilty.
Try not to pay more than a $1000.00

JR
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#2]
It would still need to be nfa registered because of the front grip.  It would be an AOW.   Change the front grip to a handguard and your ok.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It would still need to be nfa registered because of the front grip.  It would be an AOW.   Change the front grip to a handguard and your ok.

I dont know the exact specifics, but those Thompsons are excempt from AOW status..
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I meant to say without the VFG, with the horizontal handguard. I didn't make myself clear.
I think a thompson pistol would be interesting, but it looks like it's not an option since a long arm can never legally become a pistol and no one sells stripped thompson receivers to make a legal pistol out of.

Just thought I would check.

thanks for the input.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
There was one for sale in the EE a little while back...... I think it was an A5?
try a search
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well I meant to say without the VFG, with the horizontal handguard. I didn't make myself clear.
I think a thompson pistol would be interesting, but it looks like it's not an option since a long arm can never legally become a pistol and no one sells stripped thompson receivers to make a legal pistol out of.

thanks for the input.

The ones with the vertical grips as still exempt. Not sure how, but they are. Doesnt make any sense to me either.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for the input.

The ones with the vertical grips as still exempt. Not sure how, but they are. Doesnt make any sense to me either.

The AO 27A5's are exempt from AOW status because the OAL is longer than 26".........dont ask me the particulars of how that determination was made.....but it was. That is one of the reasons the Bbl. on the 27A5 pistol was 13" rather than the original SMG length of 10.5"......to just (barely) make the OAL exceed the 26".

I think if you made a "new" pistol, with vertical front grip, and 10.5 SMG bbl, you may be looking at an AOW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top