Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2002 5:54:20 AM EDT
I'm thinking about one.
Seems like a good idea, for a great all around rifle.

Any experience out there with this weapon?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
no one?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no personal experience with it, but you may want to check at http://www.rugerforum.com to find comments about it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at one this past weekend...seem pretty nice..different from the old 44mag carbine with the tube feed..more like mini 14 ..just gave it a cursory fondle.. I heard a rumor about making a short rifle in that 480 ruger
super redhawk cartridge...in an auto loader hmmm...all we need is 20rd mags.
I heated up that link for ya
www.rugerforum.com
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I just sold one to a guy with a Nikon scope added,nice gun shoots well,don't care much for the wood though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a 99/44 that was little used. It's a really neat rifle. It is somewhat sensitive about ammo. Mine likes IMR4227 when reloaded for. Shoots anywhere from 3/4" to 2" three shot groups at 50 yards using an Aimpoint 3000 depending on the ammo. I've got a post at the Ruger Forum about it. There's a link above.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot one. 180gr ammo shot way high, 240gr was on the money. Personally I see this as a solution looking for a problem. A lever action 44 would be better/more fun, IMO. A .30 Carbine would be more appropriate, IMO.

Your money though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#7]
No first hand experience, but I think they are neat, handy rifles.

Here is a Guns and Ammo review:

www.gunsandammomag.com/dynamic.asp?intSectionID=199&intArticleID=750
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one.

Background:

I usually hunt deer with a c. 1989 Remington 7400 carbine in .30-'06 w/ Leupold 1x4 scope but had been thinking about getting something else for those days when I felt like carrying something else, so I bought a Deerfield last summer. Used it for I think 4 days during hunting season (I usually hunt all day for 11 or 12 days each year during the open firearms season for whitetails).  The Remington is restocked with a Kevlar/glass stock + forend and weighs between 7 1/4 and 7 1/2 lbs so one of my criteria was a setup that weighed even less than that.

The Ruger does come with scope-mounting rings but I didn't want to mount a scope because that would kind of defeat my purpose for buying the gun in the first place.

- Pretty lightweight.

- Modest recoil when compared to my 7400. Not a real issue for me, but it might be for some.  

- Shell ejection poses me no problem. (I'm a lefty.)

- Accuracy isn't that of a target rifle but is certainly good enough for a 100-yd deer rifle.

Dislikes:

- Overall appearance.  Even a lower-grade walnut stock would improve its looks dramatically IMO. By lower-grade I mean something like what Marlin used to use on their C995 .22 carbine.  Not a big concern for me since I bought the gun as a hunter/shooter and as such it will get scratched and gouged.

- Removal and reinsertion of the clip requires some fumbling.  Clip removal/insertion is easier on the Remington, especially with gloves.
(I like to carry a spare pre-loaded clip when hunting.)

- It would feel a bit better for me if the stock were somewhat longer. I assume Ruger chose this length as a compromise with a nod toward the smaller-statured hunter, which I'm not.

- The rear peep sight folds forward too easily for walking through the woods.  I still-hunt walking through woods, sometimes through fairly thick stuff where stuff would slide against the gun, and found that I had to keep checking my rear sight and flipping it back up.  I didn't discover this problem until I actually took the gun in the woods, when checking it out at home there's enough resistance where it doesn't *seem* like it would be a problem.

Overall I like the gun a lot for the way I intended to use it, but I could only give it an unconditional thumbs-up if you planned on mounting a scope or doing some minor work to better secure the rear sight so it stays up. (Put a drop of Loctite on the sight pin? Haven't decided yet what I'm going to do this fall.)
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I was with in days of getting one. I looked at it, fondled it, Saw the price tag, left it but still was considering it. I wanted a light brush gun for deer hunting. I liked the Rear peep sight Idea but I dont like how it folded down. To mee if felt like a 10/22 on Steroids. I was just trying to figure out do I really need this rifle. I did not get I finally figured out why. Its was a 4 round mag. If it was a 5 round I would of bought it. I ended up buying a FR8 in .308 for my brush gun and it was half the price.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#10]
i have one of the old Ruger .44 Mag. Deerstalkers, does that count ??

i really do not use it that much, but wyth jacketed full power loads it functions perfectly, is very accurate & a nice protection gun.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top