Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2010 12:05:50 PM EDT
I have an old Stevens .22 on which you can lock/block the action forward (thus preventing the action from normal semi-auto cycling) by pushing the charging handle across the bolt/carrier into a indent or hole on the opposite side of the receiver.  I have looked around and don't see a similar modification or custom adaptation for the 10/22.  I wouldn't think the pressures would prevent this, and it would seem like a great adaptation for shooting suppressed.

Does anyone produce this out there?

Has someone tried and failed?  Problems?

Is it just a dumb idea?

Is this the nth dupe of a dupe of a dupe that I was too stupid/lazy to search adequately for?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I used my thumb to hold it shut this last weekend shooting mine suppressed for the first time. Benjio in the suppressor forum suggested this.

"One thing I did for my 10/22 that keeps the action shut is a small piece of hardwood (oak or something like that, whatever you can get, even plastic cutting board material will work good). Mill it down to fit in the space just aft of the bolt handle so it "slips" into the space where it touches the side of the bolt and sits between the upper and lower surfaces of the receiver if that makes sense. Then you go to a store like Rockler and get a rare earth magnet, a small little one. Mill out a hole just big enough that you can put some gorilla glue or whatever in there and then press in the magnet.

If you put it together right, you'll have a little block with a magnet that will hold itself to the bolt and keep the bolt shut, making it sound like a bolt action; MUCH quieter. You just gotta pull it off and manually cycle the action to reload. I'd take a picture of mine for you but I lost it and haven't built a replacement... "

You can also buy a bolt lock for the 10/22.
http://www.silencerresearch.com/jg_bolt_lock.htm

Mine, since threads are worthless without pics.

ETA: Just realized my post doesn't help in any way, shape or form...my bad.

I am also interested in the product the OP is searching for.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe this thread will help:  10/22 Bolt Lock
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a video of the same gun as I am talking about. The bolt charging handle pushes into the forward hole visible @ 29 seconds, thereby making the rifle effectively a bolt action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6381Sda2eSM

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
This is just an idea, but what if you were to do some kind of catch like an AR charging handle? Have a claw on the front of the charging handle that would grab a notch in the reciever, and then you would have to "unlock" it like an AR, where you squeeze the ctach and then pull back. The only problems would be A.) in the way of the ejection port, but if you make it short enough, it might work, and B.) it would be a dedicated single shot only, unles you used a quick release pin to hold in the "catch" and then just took it out to use regular stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Could a hole be drilled through the receiver just behind the bolt and then have a pin inserted through it to block the bolt from cycling? It certainly wouldn't be as fast as some of the other methods for cycling the bolt in between shots but it looks like it could work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Could a hole be drilled through the receiver just behind the bolt and then have a pin inserted through it to block the bolt from cycling? It certainly wouldn't be as fast as some of the other methods for cycling the bolt in between shots but it looks like it could work.

It would have to be an exact fit with zero play. because if there was any play between the 2 it wold eventually elongate the hole in the alluminum reciever.
I like the idea of using a piece of wood or plastic mentioned above
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top