Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2012 4:13:07 PM EDT
I'm looking to get a Ruger 10/22 now that there are factory 25 round mags that are reliable.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=272365694

I can't find anything on the Ruger website about the tactical 10/22s telling me much at all.

I'm wondering if I buy the basic Ruger and put a bull barrel in it and maybe upgrade the trigger will it still function the same as a basic 10/22?

I've done a bunch of reading so I'm sorry if this is a commonly covered topic. Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it will function just as well if not better.

Most bull barrel's have a tighter chamber than the standard factory barrel so it may in theory be more prone to FTF/FTE but in my experience with 3 standard 10/22's and 2 completely rebuilt ones there is no drawback other than expense to going with a bull barrel.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out Tacticalsol.com for some 10/22 upgrades. The Volquartsen trigger upgrade is available everywhere too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes it will function just as well if not better.

Most bull barrel's have a tighter chamber than the standard factory barrel so it may in theory be more prone to FTF/FTE but in my experience with 3 standard 10/22's and 2 completely rebuilt ones there is no drawback other than expense to going with a bull barrel.

OK, so in theory, the bull barrel itself will create a tighter chamber and possibly cause more FTF/FTE.

How many rounds can you go between cleaning before you start seeing more FTF/FTEs in the regular and bull barrels? Thank you sir.

Are there specific manufacturers who specify that the chamber doesn't get any tighter with their bull barrels?

I think I'd like a 16 inch barrel if I were to get one.

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The 10/22 is a blowback gun so any added mass is going to help the rifle stay stationairy and isolate the bolt for quicker function and better reliability. Think limp-wristing vs a good grip on a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd like to get a bull barrel but if there is going to be any compromise in reliability compared to a standard rifle I'll just skip it.

ETA:
The 10/22 is a blowback gun so any added mass is going to help the rifle stay stationairy and isolate the bolt for quicker function and better reliability. Think limp-wristing vs a good grip on a pistol.

I hadn't thought of it that way before, thanks for the insight.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
(sorry I type too slow)

I am trying to determine your question. Are you asking about the difference between the Ruger Tactical's barrels vs. aftermarket bull barrels? and if you decided to go aftermarket barrel should you just get a standard one and upgrade it?

-Your link is a Ruger Tactical 10/22 that a Ruger distributor (Talo) has had  Ruger special make for them. These special run rifles/pistols for distributors can vary from color or stock change to special barrel lengths, grips, sights or finishes. The one that you have linked looks to have the typical synthetic of a 10/22 Tactical replaced with a walnut Ruger 10/22 stock.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if I buy the basic Ruger and put a bull barrel in it and maybe upgrade the trigger will it still function the same as a basic 10/22?

It depends on the barrel, and the trigger upgrades.  

Most bull barrels have a tighter chamber, which is the primary reason for the increase in accuracy.  Tighter chambers can make the rifle picky about ammunition, or require more frequent cleaning.

Most trigger upgrades will not effect accuracy, but if you get a really light trigger / hammer spring you could in theory get light strikes.

I really like the Power Custom trigger upgrades - I think they're a better value that the VQ parts.  If you want to get spendy Kidd now has a trigger upgrade kit on the market.  It should be as good as the rest of their triggers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am trying to determine your question. Are you asking about the difference between the Ruger Tactical's barrels vs. aftermarket bull barrels? and if you decided to go aftermarket barrel should you just get a standard one and upgrade it?

-Your link is a Ruger Tactical 10/22 that a Ruger distributor (Talon) has had  Ruger special make for them. These special run rifles/pistols for distributors can vary from color or stock change to special barrel lengths, sights or finishes. The one that you have linked looks to have the typical synthetic of a 10/22 Tactical replaced with a walnut Ruger 10/22 stock.

I'm sorry, I'm still trying to determine my question too.

I'm wondering if I was to buy a regular $180 10/22 and put an aftermarket bull barrel in it will the aftermarket bull barrel have any more FTF/FTE issues than the regular barrel it came with?

I don't really know why I included the link I did. Thanks for your time.

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Your link is a Ruger Tactical 10/22 that a Ruger distributor (Talon) has had  Ruger special make for them. These special run rifles/pistols for distributors can vary from color or stock change to special barrel lengths, sights or finishes. The one that you have linked looks to have the typical synthetic of a 10/22 Tactical replaced with a walnut Ruger 10/22 stock.

I'm sorry, I'm still trying to determine my question too.

I'm wondering if I was to buy a regular $180 10/22 and put an aftermarket bull barrel in it will the aftermarket bull barrel have any more FTF/FTE issues than the regular barrel it came with?

I don't really know why I included the link I did. Thanks for your time.

Maybe start with what you want to use the rifle for? If it is for nothing specific, then maybe start with ranking what is important to you (it sounds like reliability): accuracy (then what sized target at what distance), reliability, portability/handling?
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Mostly it'd be used for target practice, at an indoor range, probably at a max of 50 yards.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks better too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a normal 10/22 and put a ruger hammer forged bull barrel amd a ugly red white and blue stock and its a tack driver..did some work to the trigger and action and its hella fun... minus the weight
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mostly it'd be used for target practice, at an indoor range, probably at a max of 50 yards.

According the the Appleseed instructors the stock Ruger 10/22 is considered a 4MOA rifle. So at 50yards is a 2" group acceptable to you? (Indoor ranges, typically have poor lighting and the stock sights are not know for accuracy). Maybe that is OK, but you would like to do better? Then as mentioned above a trigger job is probably going to give you the biggest accuracy improving return for your money. I have 4 10/22s and have shot twice as many more that were owned by others, and I have to say that only one of then was what I would consider good. A good trigger will allow you to ring out all the accuracy that you barrel can give. With a great barrel paired with a poor trigger, you will never see the full potential of a barrel.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine went from being 80% reliable with the factory barrel to 100% reliable with the cheapest possible ER Shaw bull barrel.  Some barrels have a problem ejecting unfired rounds due to the tighter chamber, but an upgraded extractor usually fixes that.  I already had a VQ extractor in mine when I added the barrel so I never had any problems.  You should still be able to shoot over 500 rounds between cleanings.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Both of my 10/22 rifles have Green Mountain bull barrels on them.  Both are now very accurate.  Upgrading your rifle with a new barrel is definitely worth it and is a easy mod to your rifle.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#16]
10/22's are extremely popular, having sold like over 6,000,000 of them since the 1960's. They are fine as-is for lots of people and for others they are a starting point. There are a ton of accessories and you can build them into whatever your mind and your wallet can handle. I have one of them from each decade they have been built and all are 100 reliable. I have factory stock and various levels of modifications to others. All work 100%.

Changing the barrel to a brand name after-market barrel should not affect the dependability or reliability.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#17]
The biggest reason for failures is magazines.  All the aftermarket 25 rounders are horrible.  Stick with the old ruger 10 rounders and their newer 25 rounders and you should be perfect.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been avidly shooting my 10/22 ruger carbine model (wood stock with barrel band) and while it might be heavy, it is a lot lighter than with a bull barrel.  I actually thought about replacing the barrel a while back with a nice fajen kit from Bass Pro; however, I realized that my barrel with stock flip up irons is a tack driver at 25-50 yards. Before you dump money into a new barrel, give it a shot the way it is and if you have any concern over the accuracy or it's reliability then you can give it a swap..

Also, after at least 5,000 rounds through my 10/22 I haven't had to replace any parts and have only had a handful of failure to fires and one or two failure to ejects.  These are from the 525 bulk boxes that you can find at almost any store for 15-20 bucks.  I had a couple failure to loads based on a crappy 25-round magazine with a plastic lip.  I would stick with ruger made accessories.  

Just buy one and play with it.. even my fiance, who is brand new to guns, can nail clay pidgeons laying on the ground at 50 yards shot after shot (outdoor public WMA range)...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top