Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 6:23:35 AM EDT
Just curious...

The op-rod on my M1a Scout was bent from the factory. I put a couple hundred rounds through it and disassembled it four times and each time the op rod was super hard to get out... I also wanted to put a match guide rod in and it would rub funny so I couldn't... And the gas piston didn't strike it square so it was getting a wierd indent. Wanting the best for the rifle, I ordered a TRW op-rod through Red Cloud (great place to do business with BTW) and it - and the guide rod - just dropped in.

I was wondering, if I could exchange the bad op-rod with a new one. Anyone do this with Springfield? If noone has or if noone responds I'll drop them an email and find out what I can...

(edited thread title so it hopefully made more sense)
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just curious...

The op-rod on my M1a Scout was bent from the factory. I put a couple hundred rounds through it and disassembled it four times and each time the op rod was super hard to get out... I also wanted to put a match guide rod in and it would rub funny so I couldn't... And the gas piston didn't strike it square so it was getting a wierd indent. Wanting the best for the rifle, I ordered a TRW op-rod through Red Cloud (great place to do business with BTW) and it - and the guide rod - just dropped in.

I was wondering, if I could exchange the bad op-rod with a new one. Anyone do this with Springfield? If noone has or if noone responds I'll drop them an email and find out what I can...

(edited thread title so it hopefully made more sense)

Call their customer service, they'll most likely take care of you!

1-800-680-6866
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Ripcode, I'll give that a try at lunch next week  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
They're pretty good about that...

Send her back....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#4]
OK then, just got off the phone with SA. They wanted the entire gun.

SCREW THAT.

I already fixed it by getting a new part. Now in order to get a replacement part I have to re-install the bad one and then ship it to them??? CRIPES that is sucky customer service.

/former SA apologist, currently not thrilled with them...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a problem with the op rod on my Scout.
Returned the complete rifle for warranty repair.
The replaced my repro op rod with a new TRW.
Not a bad deal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#6]
no, not a *bad* deal, but not what I was hoping either.

From what I've read, op-rods and other parts were all supposed to be engineered/manufactured to "drop in" with no fitting. So why would I need to return the entire rifle just for the silly op-rod? It's an SA op-rod to begin with.

I don't get it is all. I'm mulling my options. I don't like the idea of shipping my rifle off is all.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK then, just got off the phone with SA. They wanted the entire gun.

SCREW THAT.

I already fixed it by getting a new part. Now in order to get a replacement part I have to re-install the bad one and then ship it to them??? CRIPES that is sucky customer service.

/former SA apologist, currently not thrilled with them...

It's probably due to liability.  I don't think they'll just ship you a major part.  They want to install the part.

Ship the rifle off.  You'll get a new op rod for the cost of shipping one way.  Their turn around time is pretty quick too.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]
What I don't understand is, why didn't it have a TRW or other USGI op-rod to begin with?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What I don't understand is, why didn't it have a TRW or other USGI op-rod to begin with?  

Old news but they (SAI) ran out of GI barrels, oprods and other GI parts long ago and nobody is making new ones - yet...
Mine was swapped out early 2002.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
 I had the same problem with a trigger group. I had to send the entire rifle back. But they did reimburse me for the shipping.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Old news but they (SAI) ran out of GI barrels, oprods and other GI parts long ago and nobody is making new ones - yet...
Mine was swapped out early 2002.

Yeah I knew that.  

It just seems weird to me that they fix some of their problems by simply swapping their parts with USGI ones....

Hopefully one of these days SAI or another company (aside from LRB) will start making and entire M14 part line to USGI forged specs....one can dream.....  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm thinking of offering it for sale to someone who has to send their M1a in for something else. Maybe they can get a new op-rod out of it cheaper than buying one.

I've never shipped a rifle anywhere and am very uncomfortable doing so now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Expect them to request you to send it in.
Parts are becoming expensive an some people are not ethical.  They will call just to get parts.  I am not saying you are one, but rules are normally made for those few people that ruin it for all of us.
Springfield has to look out for themselves.
Good luck though.  The mail process does work pretty good though.  I have send guns for repair with no issue.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I could be speaking out of my ass here, but isn't a symptom of shooting too heavy of a load a bent op rod? Like 180gr + bullets? If so, maybe they want to inspect your gun for any other related issues/damage?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I could be speaking out of my ass here, but isn't a symptom of shooting too heavy of a load a bent op rod? Like 180gr + bullets? If so, maybe they want to inspect your gun for any other related issues/damage?

That's actually a good question.

But since I've never put anything but quality surplus through it (with no squibs or over loads) I know that it didn't happen in my care. And I bought it new.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've never shipped a rifle anywhere and am very uncomfortable doing so now.

I have returned mine to SAI 3 times with RMA numbers.
I used UPS and insured the rifle for twice it's value.
I never had a problem.

If you decide to send it in this is an awesome opportunity to
request extra work from the custom shop - it will never be cheaper
and all of the work will be warrantied by SAI.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Good comments above.  I'm no attorney and this is not legal advice.  My guess is that Springfield Armory, Inc. wants to avoid any product liability issues or "scams" for parts.  You're a good guy and have a valid need for repair but they don't know you.  Another issue is that not every operating rod will drop into a commercial receiver.  Some operating rod lugs are too wide or too narrow for a proper fit in the receiver channel.  They need the receiver to make sure the operating rod is not too tight or too loose in the receiver.  

Also, as a side bar note, SOME USGI M14 operating rods made by Mercury Tool & Machine (CAGE Code 24411) have been found New-In-Tube with misaligned halves at the weld.  Is your operating rod marked 24411?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Good comments above.  I'm no attorney and this is not legal advice.  My guess is that Springfield Armory, Inc. wants to avoid any product liability issues or "scams" for parts.  You're a good guy and have a valid need for repair but they don't know you.  Another issue is that not every operating rod will drop into a commercial receiver.  Some operating rod lugs are too wide or too narrow for a proper fit in the receiver channel.  They need the receiver to make sure the operating rod is not too tight or too loose in the receiver.  

Also, as a side bar note, SOME USGI M14 operating rods made by Mercury Tool & Machine (CAGE Code 24411) have been found New-In-Tube with misaligned halves at the weld.  Is your operating rod marked 24411?

Nope, the one that came on it is a SA and appears to be non-GI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top