Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/14/2006 11:41:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 9:26:07 PM EDT by Cahill]
I can't the answer on the web site.

Will I have to get one cut myelf, or do they make them?

How come there aren't too many guys that go with the 3.5" ?

And finally, who has the best prices on Remington parts?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:14:43 PM EDT
I don't think they make a 3 1/2" barrel in 18".

The main reason most people don't buy the Super Magnum is, it's a special purpose gun.
It was specifically designed for sporting use on turkey and high-flying geese.
Recoil is FEROCIOUS.
This is why they don't make an 18" barrel.

Since for most other shotgun use, specifically HD use, the standard 2 3/4" Magnum is too much, much less the 3" and even less still the 3 1/2".

Most HD gunners today are going the other way, with the "reduced recoil" loads. These reduce felt recoil and allow much faster shooting, especially follow-up shots.

In HD use, the various Magnum loads are really no more effective than the reduced recoil in most cases.
In shotguns, Magnum means "more pellets" NOT "more power". A Magnum shell just means you have a higher percentage change of getting hits at more distant targets.
Yes, more shot is more devastating at close range, but since the standard loads are already over-kill, a smart gunner goes for faster shooting.

Bottom line is, too many people who are using the 3 1/2" Super Magnum for HD are the same people who get their first CCW license and run out and buy a 6 1/2" S&W .44 "Dirty Harry" Magnum.

Most people who buy shotguns try the 2 3/4" or 3" Magnum loads, and quickly find out that recoil is too punishing and slows them down too much. Most people wind up using either standard loads or reduced loads.

For parts for the 870, here's the "heavy hitters" on parts:

Direct from Remington.

www.e-gunparts.com/

www.brownells.com/

www.midwayusa.com/

www.jackfirstgun.com/ (Where the pro's shop)

www.gun-parts.com/index.html/

www.parts4guns.com/

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:26:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:02:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:37:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:31:31 PM EDT
The one thing you NEVER ask a hunter or fisherman is, "Say, just how much per pound DID that cost".
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:56:24 PM EDT
My HD scattergun will be 3.5"

I dont want to sound like billy bad ass internet guy BUT

3.5" recoil isn't brutal for me. Here's why:

I took my barrel to Briley Manufacturing in Houston.
They back bore the barrel to .725, they port the barrel (porting made it louder and extreme muzzle/barrel flash), lengthen the forcing cone,
and put an extended choke on it.

When I first shot that 870 it kicked so hard that it hurt to look at it. Briley's was a dream and worth every penny. I don't know exactly how much recoil was reduced by taking it to Briley's but as a ballpart figure, a SHIT TON.

I went on 40 duck and goose hunting trips last season (I'm in college, spare time galore) went through 4 1/2 cases of 3.5" BB. Nothing brutal about the recoil. I could take it all day. BUT whenever I forgot my earplugs I would have a huge headache after a full morning of shooting.

FWIW Remington Hevishot is completely worth it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:58:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
I don't think they make a 3 1/2" barrel in 18".

The main reason most people don't buy the Super Magnum is, it's a special purpose gun.
It was specifically designed for sporting use on turkey and high-flying geese.
Recoil is FEROCIOUS.
This is why they don't make an 18" barrel.

Since for most other shotgun use, specifically HD use, the standard 2 3/4" Magnum is too much, much less the 3" and even less still the 3 1/2".

Most HD gunners today are going the other way, with the "reduced recoil" loads. These reduce felt recoil and allow much faster shooting, especially follow-up shots.

In HD use, the various Magnum loads are really no more effective than the reduced recoil in most cases.
In shotguns, Magnum means "more pellets" NOT "more power". A Magnum shell just means you have a higher percentage change of getting hits at more distant targets.
Yes, more shot is more devastating at close range, but since the standard loads are already over-kill, a smart gunner goes for faster shooting.

Bottom line is, too many people who are using the 3 1/2" Super Magnum for HD are the same people who get their first CCW license and run out and buy a 6 1/2" S&W .44 "Dirty Harry" Magnum.

Most people who buy shotguns try the 2 3/4" or 3" Magnum loads, and quickly find out that recoil is too punishing and slows them down too much. Most people wind up using either standard loads or reduced loads.

For parts for the 870, here's the "heavy hitters" on parts:

Direct from Remington.

www.e-gunparts.com/

www.brownells.com/

www.midwayusa.com/

www.jackfirstgun.com/ (Where the pro's shop)

www.gun-parts.com/index.html/

www.parts4guns.com/

I appreciate the links and the post, you make some really good points, maybe I'm worng about this whole 3.5" thing. It's just that I don't get the recoil and have always thought bigger is better. Now I'm not sure though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:28:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:34:41 AM EDT
Another 3 1/2" factor is magazine capacity.
Most people worry obsessively about having as many rounds as possible in or on the gun, and the 3 1/2" shell reduces the capacity from a 4 shot standard length magazine to a 3 shot magazine.

The most deadly gun in the world at short range is the shotgun.
With Magnum loads and the 3 1/2" Super Magnum, you're basically trying to turn a brutally over-powered monster into a super monster.
In short, the 12 gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot is already over-kill, the Magnums are over-over-kill and the 3 1/2" is over-over-OVER-kill.

Take into consideration the "real world" in which fast follow-up shots and possible magazine capacity will play a much bigger part than more pellets.
Don't get hung up on the Tim Taylor "More power" thing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:46:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:43:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mike103:
...those here in police work know...

We also know it is about having the right tool for the job and having the tools be versitle enough to handle as many jobs as possible. With that said, I would LOVE to get my mitts on an 18 inch in 3.5 Super Mag. I carry a 3.5 because I want to have the OPTION of using Super Magnum if I want. Do I? No but I could. That said, I feel a 20 inch barrel suits me fine.

Also, I highly recommend getting a Knoxx SpecOps stock if recoil is an issue. You could seriously shoot 3 inch Slugs and/or 00 Buck one handed with these things. That company is the real deal and I fully support their product.

p.s. No, I am not affiliated with Knoxx in any way other than owning one of theri products.
Top Top